Sub-Par graphics, congrats firaxis.

The OP must be confusing genres. We're talking strategy game here. I'd be happy with ASCII art, as long as gameplay delivers.

If I want eye-candy, I just pop in Uncharted into my PS3.

Thank gawd the Civ 5 graphics aren't as ugly as the spelling and punctuation in the quoted post above. After reading some of the other posters well written posts I thought to myself, what is this crap? This post looks like doo doo :lol:

I think the screen shots look stunning and they will just get better and better. I suppose everyone has different tastes but you seem to have impossibly high standards it seems.

Way to go with the personal attack bro. I don't take the time to proof read anymore since I already graduated from college. How about yourself? Its a stupid forum ya loser :goodjob:

I wouldn't select graphics as a huge priority, I'd like to see them a little better than last time though. I do agree that there were some problems with blending between the tiles, they don't appear to have any sort of gradual transition.

However with the release 6-7 months away I'd expect the screen shots we've seen aren't showing us the final fully polished graphics of the release version.

We can always mod the graphics, after all, Civilization III is unplayable unless you download Sn00py's or Rhye's terrain modpacks.

We can always mod the graphics, after all, Civilization III is unplayable unless you download Sn00py's or Rhye's terrain modpacks.

Wrong, it was unplayable unless you used Warpstorm's. :mischief:

Thank gawd the Civ 5 graphics aren't as ugly as the spelling and punctuation in the quoted post above. After reading some of the other posters well written posts I thought to myself, what is this crap? This post looks like doo doo :lol:

I think the screen shots look stunning and they will just get better and better. I suppose everyone has different tastes but you seem to have impossibly high standards it seems.

If we operate under the assumption of a JudeoChristian God you have just taken the Lord's name in Vain, because aGod is all powerful and KNOWS what you mean

Also, can we start the complaining in April? Preferably in July so we can see a moderately final game?

those lakes look stupid and unatural. Firaxis needs to disign a better random generator for they're terrian placements.
I have no idea what you're talking about. It's a tile-based strategy game, so of course it looks unnatural. The most important thing the graphics do is to convey information. This means they have to make it clear which tile has which terrain type, so you end up with a blob of water for a lake, a blob of trees for a forest, etc. This is unavoidable without throwing usability concerns completely out the window and making the game a right pain to play.

We can always mod the graphics, after all, Civilization III is unplayable. unless you download Sn00py's or Rhye's terrain modpacks.

Fixed .

Way to go with the personal attack bro. I don't take the time to proof read anymore since I already graduated from college. How about yourself? Its a stupid forum ya loser :goodjob:

Complaining about a half arsed effort (in your mind) by Firaxis with the graphics while posting in a half arsed fashion makes you look ridiculous. Just pointing that out. No need to get offended. :)

The graphics are fine. If you don't like them then you can mod them. If you don't have the capability then find a mod like Blue Marble.

Complaining about a half arsed effort (in your mind) by Firaxis with the graphics while posting in a half arsed fashion makes you look ridiculous. Just pointing that out. No need to get offended. :)

The graphics are fine. If you don't like them then you can mod them. If you don't have the capability then find a mod like Blue Marble.

And what if the poster spoke English as a second language and used the help of an online translator? That just makes you look like an insensitive bastard and a racist. Go easy on people dude, it's the internet for god's sake not an English exam. But no need to get offended. :)

We civ3 players will make those Apolyton Civheretics Forums yellabellies a run for their money any day of the week! Even on a Caturday!

And what if the poster spoke English as a second language and used the help of an online translator? That just makes you look like an insensitive bastard and a racist. Go easy on people dude, it's the internet for god's sake not an English exam. But no need to get offended. :)

well said.

Wow! Now I am a racist? Relax. It seems entirely likely that he is indeed from Chicago and just doesn't care to proofread in any way, shape or form. I am aware that there are many posters that have English as a second language. I am also aware that these are the posters that make the greatest effort to be correct. Having taught ESL for over 6 years to students from many countries it really isn't that hard to make the distinction anyway.

I am not really offended as much as amused that a person could trash Firaxis for quality control when the poster could care less about his own. It's self defeating to his/her argument really.

At least I didn't insinuate that a certain poster from Turkey was a child or anything because I didn't agree with him. ;)

well said.

My apologies. I shouldn't have assumed English was your first language.

Go into google earth and you can see what real terrain looks like.

Hmmm, maybe I missed something but isn't Google Earth pretty bad at showing what real terrain looks like, at least compared with observing something directly with your own eyes?

I'm won't completely write off the look of the game. Its obviously a lot better than its predecessor, but firaxis is just never up to date with graphic technology.
A valid criticism maybe, but always do consider the relatively unique civ fanbase who love using their out of date computers. As someone said earlier, this genre is not one where people expect to need beast computers (I think that's the correct term) to best run the game.

There's also the issue that making the game extremely graphically intensive is just wasteful.
As an example, suppose you wanted to individually render every blade of grass instead of just having a nice looking texture for a flat grass tile. Think about all the CPU (or GPU) cycles of all civ-playing computers round the world doing all their calculations on that silly grass. Think about all the energy (and hence money) it wastes. How much are those little blades of grass going to please the players of the game? I doubt many would care at all - many probably wouldn't even notice.

Lastly, who cares if the graphics are "sub-par" as you call them? I don't take a game like Monopoly and say "Eewww, the tiles are so bland and the player's pieces look dumb. Why would anyone play this?" A game like civ, thankfully, does not depend so greatly on the style of its graphics for its quality of gameplay. If I want good graphics I'll go outside of the house and look at some real trees and real grass :lol:. (I don't mean that completely literally:)). Or maybe I'd seek other forms of entertainment, Avatar comes to mind - whether you love it or hate it it's obvious a lot of work was put into its graphics. Unlike Civ, if that movie had "sub-par" graphics it would have had a much higher chance of being a flop.

Top Bottom