Science questions not worth a thread I: I'm a moron!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might happen... It's also a matter of what happens where according to which law. :dunno:

Currently the surface quality without further finishing is quite poor for cheap (affordable) 3d printers or the production time is much longer than you might expect. I think this will change with the evolution of the tech.

So this is a bit of a weird question. I'm not even sure its a science question, but here it is.

Generally the smaller an organism is the more fragile it is. For example its easier to crush an ant that say a mouse. And the mouse is easier to crush than an elephant. Does this apply to very small organisms like bacteria? Bacteria is all around us. On our skin, on the soles of our shoes, on doorknobs, keyboards, pretty much everywhere. So whenever we come into contact with something are we crushing and killing off millions of bacteria?

I'd wager that's because of the difference in the force of impact the ant and elephant experience.

Doing some quick googling:

Mass of an adult African elephant: ~2700 kg
Mass of an ant: ~0.004 grams
height: 10m

(wasn't sure how to estimate these)
distance traveled after impact for elephant: 0.1m
distance traveled after impact for ant: 0.01m

plug the numbers into a calculator:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/flobi.html

Impact force of an Elephant: 2646000 N
Impact force of an Ant: 0.0392 N

Ever tried killing a flea? Tough little buggers.

Bacteria are hard to subject to simple forces, they lurk in the folds and crevices of your skin and, crucially, as single cells they are just as tough as the cells you would be using to try to squeeze them. You would be hard pressed to squish a block of cheese with another block of cheese, unless you squished them both.

Kinetic energy from being dropped will be 1/2 mass*velocity squared. Note that mass increases as the volume of the body increases - a cubic relation, so dropping something small results in proportionally far less energy being dissipated upon landing than dropping something proportionally larger. Larger objects also have a greater resistance to the viscosity of air and therefore higher terminal velocities. Hence a mouse dropped from a great height won't be harmed, a cat is likely to be okay, but a human is doomed and an elephant ends up as a giant pancake.

So I was thinking about this idea of using a Sterling cycle engine for power generation. I've read that the Sterling cycle works most efficiently where there is a large temperature differential available. That would mean that in the tropics it would be at a disadvantage, say if a solar concentrator were providing the heat while ambient air provided the cooling. But what about islands near deep water? Hawaii for example produces much of its electricity from imported oil and coal. But it's also located in some very deep ocean waters. So what if we used the horizontal drilling technology to tap that deep ocean cold water to provide the cooling? Could we cost effectively power an island that way?

So I was thinking about this idea of using a Sterling cycle engine for power generation. I've read that the Sterling cycle works most efficiently where there is a large temperature differential available. That would mean that in the tropics it would be at a disadvantage, say if a solar concentrator were providing the heat while ambient air provided the cooling. But what about islands near deep water? Hawaii for example produces much of its electricity from imported oil and coal. But it's also located in some very deep ocean waters. So what if we used the horizontal drilling technology to tap that deep ocean cold water to provide the cooling? Could we cost effectively power an island that way?

Maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_thermal_energy_conversion
For OTEC to be viable as a power source, the technology must have tax and subsidy treatment similar to competing energy sources. Because OTEC systems have not yet been widely deployed, cost estimates are uncertain. One study estimates power generation costs as low as US $0.07 per kilowatt-hour, compared with $0.05 - $0.07 for subsidized wind systems.

Let's suppose there's a measurable thing A, and people generally think that it's value is a. For example it could be the average height of adults or correlation between smoking and lung cancer.

Let's furthermore suppose that a actually is the correct value and there are 100 people researching the thing claiming that it isn't, that the real a is bigger. They all conduct research on the matter, and naturally, you'd expect five researches to conclude that the null hypotheses false with p<=0.05. They send papers on their research to "American A research bulletin", and they get publishded, whereas the 95 of the researches just keep their mouth shut (perhaps because of their own convinction, they believe their research that didn't reject the null hypthesis was faulty).

Is a phenomenon similar to this an actual problem? Is there some smart ways it is fought against?

More often what happens is that Company A commissions 100 studies, picks out the five that connect it with some benefit that they want to claim, and write an advertisment saying 'studies show that our product is linked with this benefit'. By the time anyone corrects them, the advert's already out there and people are already buying it.

Let's suppose there's a measurable thing A, and people generally think that it's value is a. For example it could be the average height of adults or correlation between smoking and lung cancer.

Let's furthermore suppose that a actually is the correct value and there are 100 people researching the thing claiming that it isn't, that the real a is bigger. They all conduct research on the matter, and naturally, you'd expect five researches to conclude that the null hypotheses false with p<=0.05. They send papers on their research to "American A research bulletin", and they get publishded, whereas the 95 of the researches just keep their mouth shut (perhaps because of their own convinction, they believe their research that didn't reject the null hypthesis was faulty).

Is a phenomenon similar to this an actual problem? Is there some smart ways it is fought against?

A related phenomenon is the Look-elsewhere effect. It is different in that it is not about 100 people studying one thing, but one research team studying 100 things. It is highly likely that out of these a few things will stand out by chance alone, with no negative results to contradict them. For example:
A Swedish study in 1992 tried to determine whether or not power lines caused some kind of poor health effects. The researchers surveyed everyone living within 300 meters of high-voltage power lines over a 25-year period and looked for statistically significant increases in rates of over 800 ailments. The study found that the incidence of childhood leukemia was four times higher among those that lived closest to the power lines, and it spurred calls to action by the Swedish government. The problem with the conclusion, however, was that they failed to compensate for the look-elsewhere effect; in any collection of 800 random samples, it is likely that at least one will be at least 3 standard deviations above the expected value, by chance alone. Subsequent studies failed to show any links between power lines and childhood leukemia, neither in causation nor even in correlation.

The countermeasure is to increase the requirements for statistical significance. Particle physics knows about this, because they have been bitten by this too often and they have developed a correction that works for their purposes.

There is also the opposite effect of what you describe. People think A is a, but it is actually not. it can take more time than it should to correct that because of confirmation bias:
Richard Feynman gave a nice example in his speech about Cargo Cult Science
We have learned a lot from experience about how to handle some of the ways we fool ourselves. One example: Millikan measured the charge on an electron by an experiment with falling oil drops, and got an answer which we now know not to be quite right. It's a little bit off because he had the incorrect value for the viscosity of air. It's interesting to look at the history of measurements of the charge of an electron, after Millikan. If you plot them as a function of time, you find that one is a little bit bigger than Millikan's, and the next one's a little bit bigger than that, and the next one's a little bit bigger than that, until finally they settle down to a number which is higher.

Why didn't they discover the new number was higher right away? It's a thing that scientists are ashamed of--this history--because it's apparent that people did things like this: When they got a number that was too high above Millikan's, they thought something must be wrong--and they would look for and find a reason why something might be wrong. When they got a number close to Millikan's value they didn't look so hard. And so they eliminated the numbers that were too far off, and did other things like that. We've learned those tricks nowadays, and now we don't have that kind of a disease.

Unfortunately, I am not entirely sure that the last sentence is true.

Thanks Uppi, that was very enlightening! It's also much more surprising phenomenon than the one I first asked about.

More often what happens is that Company A commissions 100 studies, picks out the five that connect it with some benefit that they want to claim, and write an advertisment saying 'studies show that our product is linked with this benefit'. By the time anyone corrects them, the advert's already out there and people are already buying it.

I'd be surprised if they went even that far to have their "scientifically proved effects". :D

Does an orb hold better pressure from within than a cube?

From outside, intuition says that the round one is better, you can think for example a round tower where each stone is supported by it's two neighbours. If we follow the same intuition, it should be at least as easy to break a round tower from inside as a rectangular.

But on the other hand, most things I know from real life that contain much pressure are round. If the round shape is bettet, what's the (intuitive) explanation to that?

Pressure vessels are usually round because they do in fact hold pressure much better than squareish objects.

Corners tend to produce stress concentration that are much greater than the actual stress caused solely by the pressure of the substance being held.

There are some basic equations that describe pressure vessels and round ones are quite simple equations. Cylinders are a bit more complicated, but are doable by hand.

But once you move into pressure vessels with corners, you have to start using computer software to do finite-element analysis to even figure out the stresses on the pressure vessel because it gets extremely complicated.

Long story short, yes, orbs are much, much better at holding pressure than cubes.

Thanks! :goodjob

Is there any simple explanation why the corners are subject to greater pressure? Does it come from the neighbouring walls or the contained substance? Layman (such as me) could think that in the corners the gas has more surface to distribute the pressure, and that it should be therefore lower.

No, I unfortunately do not have any simple explanation I can give you. Truthfully, I don't know why this is the case myself very well. I've only been told things along the lines of 'nature doesn't like corners' as it pertains to pressure vessels and I've had enough experience designing pressure vessels (including rectangular ones) to know that this indeed the case. As to why? Not sure, sorry. :(

I just know that corners cause stress in the material to concentrate at the corner.

Just speculating here.... A container under pressure is going to attempt to expand, right? And the constraints on that is if the structural strength is greater than the force of expansion. In a cylinder or sphere, that pressure is evenly distributed. And the arc of the material itself adds structural strength. But with a square shape it would be pushing outwards at the center of each straight wall, and this would cause the corners to want to flex like a hinge. When they can't, they're more likely to fail. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom