XML? Civ 4 wont start

Griff

Chieftain
Can anyone please help me with this problem: I have loaded CIV 4 on a Win XP machine (SP2), 1.4 Pent 4, 256 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 2 Ultra, driver 6.14, Dir X 9.0c.
When I start the game, it initializes and when it says "check XML" it looks like it is working, but then simply stops altogether.

I have downloaded the recomended XML files that Take 2 suggested, from Microsoft but it seems to make no difference.

Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

I am having the exact problem.

Thing is.... the game worked great until I deleted my user account due to corruption caused by my new Nvidia GeForce graphic card. Now, the issues caused by the card are resolved, but Civ4 is hosed. I had the same problem right after I created the new Admin account. So I uninstalled Civ4, restarted, re-installed Civ4, same problem. It comes on , gets to the XML window and just stops, no error message, no action in the task manager... nothing.

Griff said:
Can anyone please help me with this problem: I have loaded CIV 4 on a Win XP machine (SP2), 1.4 Pent 4, 256 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 2 Ultra, driver 6.14, Dir X 9.0c.
When I start the game, it initializes and when it says "check XML" it looks like it is working, but then simply stops altogether.

I have downloaded the recomended XML files that Take 2 suggested, from Microsoft but it seems to make no difference.

Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

I had the exact same problem. I tried updating my drivers (Sound and Video) and that didn't work. Then I tried disabling my sound card. The game runs now, unfortunately I don't have sound.

Hopefully my sound card manufacturer will release a new driver.

I got mine to work.

I thought I'd try suggested solutions even though many of them didn't make sense.... it was just a shot in the dark but it worked.

I went back and downloaded/installed the newest drivers for my sound card, a Realtek High Definition Audio, and its working now.

Top Bottom