SGOTM 11 - Wotan

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your SGOTM 11 team thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished. Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game here, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest. I hope you enjoy the game.

The starting saves will become available on the SGOTM Progress and Results page on September 9th, at midnight, server local time.

Thanks again to Gyathaar for coming up with the variant and developing the map.

You are Shaka of the Zulus, and your mission is to dominate the World. The world is standard sized, but crowded with 13 rivals grouped into several power blocks locked into mutual protection pacts. You are out in the cold.

All victory conditions are switched on, but the winning team will be the one that achieves a Domination victory earliest. Domination is defined for this game as 75% of world land plus coast, and 75% of world population.

Here's the start.

Map Parameters
Playable Civ - Zulu
Difficulty - Emperor
Opponents - 13: America, Arabia, China, Egypt, England, France, Germany, India, Japan, Korea, Ottomans, Russia, Scandinavia.
World - Standard, Continents, 60% water, 4 billion years old, temperate
Barbarians - Roaming

The map is handbuilt, and therefore may not have a standard configuration.

Game mods:
The game uses the default rules as defined in the SGOTM Reference Thread, with the following modifications:

- Domination requires 75% of world territory and 75% of world population.

The SGOTM Mediterranean resources are included, as you can see from the starting screenshot. If you have played SGOTM 9 then you will be ready. Other players will need to download and unzip this small graphics mod pack. Details are provided in the SGOTM Reference Thread..

Please ensure that you have incuded the line: NoAIPatrol=0 in your conquests.ini text file.

Please visit the following links to ensure that you are adequately prepared, skipping references to PtW or Vanilla versions of Civ3.

The GOTM Reference Thread.
The SGOTM Reference Thread.

Notes:

A. ONLY Conquests version 1.22 (C3C) is supported for this SGOTM. All teams will compete for a single award.

B. All teams must play the sponsored variant - the laurels will be awarded for the fastest Domination victory. The wooden spoons will go to the team with the lowest final Jason score, having completed the game.

C. You MUST play from the start file assigned to your team. All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

Enjoy your game :D

Checking in....
Awaiting further orders :king:

I've played with Wotan quite few times before in fact we played together every single SGOTM i was part of. I don't know the rest of you well. I am sure we will get along just fine ;-)
On startup...
obviously we don't want to settle in place just onE tile away from what i think an ocean or less likely lake.
We should jump on top of that mountain N or NW and look around.
Stop the game publish screenshot and discuss where to go next

Hi guys! Schmiddi and TimBentley, welcome to the game, I have not had the pleasure of playing any games with you guys in the past so am a bit curious as to how you rate your own skills at Civ3. We need to put together a roster and skills might help us decide on "order of battle". Dman,would you like to kick this baby off or should I or someone else do the honours?

We need to start discussions on initial moves, Plenty of land 40% so 2000 tiles of land and another few hundred coastals to add to that. I guess domination will trigger at close to 2000 so we have plenty of territory to claim.

First off, is the water fresh or ocean? If fresh the question of where to put Zimbabwe is easy, if not we need to make sure we have fresh water closeby to really benefit from the cow. Forest SE seems to be the best option from the starting picture?

One possible route could be to first move Worker south to BG. See what he reveals and then either move the scout north or east. East seems to yield less info since the two tiles east of the mountains looks like hills. North might be the sest option, just like Dman suggests.

13 opponents and only one with UU in the AA. And us with a AA UU, I guess we will wait for GA until republic? Just build a few Impis to kick it off when the time is right. A guess is we share the initial continent with the other AA UU, Egypt.

Plenty of Alphabet "carrying" tribes and we might start on a continent without one, evil Gyathaar at work... So the Republic slingshot is probably a pipedream in this game. But we do want MM ASAP to contact the rest of the world so Alphabet might be the best first tech anyway? We might be able to kill off the first continent opposition using Archers, thus not having to rely on getting horses or iron for more advanced military?

I have probably missed a few important aspects to discuss at this early stage so please add anything you find missing from the "list".

I am at a workshop 'til Saturday, I will tune in my thoughts then.

Level: Emperor
Time Zone: Europe.

schmiddi reporting for duty:salute:

Timezone CET
No [civ3mac]

I haven't touched Conquests for quite a while, so warlord i guess. :blush:

I have read a bit through your sgotm10-thread and found your stile to be educative (in lack of an other word). Can you send me that spreadsheet you used there?
I'll dld the save at home this evening and will then eventually add my thoughts.

I do not have the spreadsheet on this computer, maybe someone else can post it? Dman, it is Offa's old ss we are using, maybe you have it? Else I will post it tomorrow. BTW, the save will not be available until sunday so no real rush I guess?

Wotan,
You can go ahead and start. Last time i started the game we didn't win. I need somebody else to blaim when things go wrong :rolleyes:
i am starting the old song but guess what team Klarius is way overpowered again :)
I have Offa's spreadsheet at home can put it here tonight. I also believe it can be downloaded from utilities section of this website and Offa had it attached in his profile's signature.

Wotan said:
BTW, the save will not be available until sunday so no real rush I guess?
First thing on 9/9, actually. I wanted to give you the weekend to get started :)

Fully agree with wotans plans, as long as I have not to execute it. I think in 5/10 games I forget to switch on research after building the first city and we won't want that in a SGOTM.

Hey all,

Just reporting in. The next few days and weeks will be crazy for me, so put me near the end of the rotation.

Hockey is starting and I am so many things to do before i am ready for my home opener.

Thanks

Later

Dman's suggestion to go N with the scout is sound and maybe we should add a move S with the Worker (BG)? Then post a map for Settler discussion.

@Killer: Still thinking you have the job of your dreams? ;) Will put you near the end of the rooster

@Schmiddi: I think you have what you need to play installed now. View range is hindered by hills, mountains, forests and just about anything but open terrain. Hills and mountains at range three show up though, if terrain in between is open.

EDIT: Just noticed the save is available.

Hmmm I am not so positive on moving the Worker out of position for scouting.
From my feeling the placemnet of the capital is at least 90% obvious, so I would think somebody should do the spreadsheet magic first to see what the move costs us.

To move things along I have moved the Scout N since we were in agreement on that move (AFAIK?). The map looks like this:

We have two option in my opinion,
1: move Settler to forest SE and found Zimbabwe there.
2: move Settler another tile SE and settle in what appears to be a grassland (unless it is a BG)
Both options let's us use both the Cow and the lambs on mountain. Though option two gives us the first 10 turns without the Cow. Difference is we have another Scout and a Warrior and town size 2 in 8 turns in option 1 and size 2 in 10 turns (Scout/Warrior still in 8 turns) in option 2. After that growth is the same. Option 2 gives an extra 10 shields from forest chop and we open up additional tiles that will be better than mountains.

The scout move also opened up an additional two coastal tiles W and E. Question is if any of the three are fresh water? That would help us decide what to do with the cow. If the tile in S is fresh water we irrigate it rapidly for food boost if not we have no hurry doing so and can mine it for fresh water to eventually reach the area. And if coast in S is fresh we will be able to irrigate cow immediately if we settle on forest as in option 1.

That said I would opt for the next move to be Settler to forest. Then if south water is fresh move worker to cow to irrigate it. Else move Worker to BG to miner and road it.

(Blue move of Worker first is not as good in my opinion)

I will check what outcomes are possible from the spreadsheet.

EDIT: Schmiddi, I was wrong about sighting I guess, from a mountain you see across hills.

Ok I have had a look at what we could do with the two options I posted.

Option 1 (fresh water in south) looks like this:

Option (no fresh water) looks like this:

I agree on movin the settler, although IO am not so sure on moving it twice. Lets see, what he finds first.

Top Bottom