Help with Alexander

cronullasharks

Warlord
I`m doig a lap of the block trying for conquest/dom wins using all the agg. leaders. The settings are cheesy......immortal , epic ,standard size , pangea.

I am having huge trouble with Alexander and I really want some fun with those phalanxes and GP`s

Basically my problem is the start.....I dont do ultra early rushes as I`m a non re-starter and if it fails I`m screwed , I also wont regen till I get seafood.

So any way , even if I get a great starting spot I just stare at the screen going "what next?"

Unless I have ivory or something needing a camp I cant build a worker unless I study agriculture which leaves me well behind.

Studying archery while I build a worker leaves me nothing for him to do

Building a barracks while teching archery means I get boxed in big time.

Straight to BW is risky..high chance of not getting copper and not much whipping potential with no food

And lastly if I take it slow , avoid archery , study worker techs , build not whip a settler......then I get pumped by barbs.

I`m not up to the Celts yet but I imagine the same probs exist with Boedicia.

Any ideas??

1 worker tech, then shoot to bronze working, then archery. This is my typical path, although the map can drastically alter it (I've actually gone late bronze working before ^_^). You do need SOMETHING vs barbs though, so either go AH or bronze, and if it's not there, time for archers. AH does have the added benefit of opening up at least 2 resource types (more if gotten through agriculture), though then you don't get to use the UU early.

Also, early rushes are not necessarily risks. At all. It's map dependent of course. Still, you'd have to like your odds if someone doesn't have metal!

What do you build after the first worker? warrior?

By ultra early rush I mean "If i dont have have copper within two cities range then re start and if I dont get a holy city/wonder by 2500 BC then re start"

cheesier than my map settings

By the way....is a one dimensional stack of phalanxes the way to go?

And early wonder or library for GP points?

Thanks by the way

Unless I have ivory or something needing a camp I cant build a worker unless I study agriculture which leaves me well behind.

I don't see what's wrong with this. How do you mean "leaves you well behind"? You get a worker out, and he builds farms while he waits for you to tech other worker stuff. Seems like a good idea to me.

You might also want to consider not building a worker first. On Monarch difficulty, I can go warrior-warrior-settler-worker as Alexander without losing pace to the AI. Putting off the worker gives you more time to get worker techs.

Studying archery while I build a worker leaves me nothing for him to do

Building a barracks while teching archery means I get boxed in big time.

I agree. Don't do either.

Straight to BW is risky..high chance of not getting copper and not much whipping potential with no food

Whipping with low food output can still be better than not whipping at all, especially to get out a settler or worker.

And lastly if I take it slow , avoid archery , study worker techs , build not whip a settler......then I get pumped by barbs.

Are barbs really such a problem? I heard they can't even enter your borders until such-and-such a date. Is that limitation removed on Immortal?

Top Bottom