Do You Want XCOM Squad in game?

Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters
Why not? As long as they extend the game time.

I don't understand how anyone can play civ and then try to instead that it should be devoid of sillyness. The sillyness is fundamental.

It's doing no harm. People should learn to lighten up. It's healthy.

I don't think the inclusion of the XCOM squad is the end of Civilization as we know it. Since it's apparently already in (barring some elaborate prank), I say keep it.

Why do people think the XCom squad is in game? I don't get it. Clearly, it was an inside joke/stunt at PAX to make the demo a little "fun" at the end. And people actually can't see that? And we wonder how stupid religions get started ....

Probably the fact that they showed it again the next day when there was nobody from the XCOM team there, explaining that they wanted an upgrade to the paratrooper, and then feeding that information to news sites who reported that it'll be included.

Also the fact that the unit required a decent amount of time and effort to make just for a one-off joke.

Probably the fact that they showed it again the next day when there was nobody from the XCOM team there, explaining that they wanted an upgrade to the paratrooper, and then feeding that information to news sites who reported that it'll be included.

Also the fact that the unit required a decent amount of time and effort to make just for a one-off joke.

:goodjob:

Should it have been in? No way, in my opinion.

Do I think it's a bad choice? Yes/

But since they added it, that's their choice, and frankly I'd be more interested in criticizing other parts of Civ5. :p

The only thing I didn't like about Giant Death Robots was that there wasn't any other futuristic military units so it felt out of place, XCOM squad fixes this.

I have no interest in XCOM or know anything about it, but futuristic paratroopers with plasma guns are awesome.

I wish it had a different name, but I LOVE the inclusion of a future infantry unit that can combar GDRs. It actually makes me want more units to be contemporaneous with it, such as artillery, air (orbital?) and sea support.

Like GDRs, the game will be over before they show up almost every game you play. Therefore, I don't care.

It's not an advertising, it's just an innocent easter egg for the fans of both franchises. If you don't know what XCOM is you'll miss the reference but lose nothing. If you do know then you can smile and move on. I have no idea what is so offensive for Civ in this unit that you want it to be removed.

People don't generally like science fiction in the game. The same reason why some don't like the Giant Death Robots (which I'm personally very happy to see in the game). Add to this that it seems like an attempt to test the waters for cross advertising (potentially more so in the future) and I can understand where such concerns come from.

Also, an Easter Egg usually isn't something non offensive that can be easily missed and serves no direct purpose in game, this on the other hand is a powerful late game unit.

Its a nice Easter Egg and i personally cant understand why people are treating it as it is an incredible travesty. At most, the Devs can add an option to disable futuristic units so that everyone would be happy. Problem solved then.

Its a nice Easter Egg and i personally cant understand why people are treating it as it is an incredible travesty. At most, the Devs can add an option to disable futuristic units so that everyone would be happy. Problem solved then.
Because people don't want the game to ever be light-hearted or silly. They believe it should aim for solemn, stolid historical accuracy. In their minds, they've built Civ up to being something that it's not.

Plus, if the results of this poll are typical of the entire community, why would they even consider abandoning it. I would even bet that the percentage of people who would be bothered by the XCOM would be higher among those of us who frequent this forum.

Unless of course a 1/3 of the people didnt buy the expansion because a useless unit was added in when so many other things need attention. Then their would be an uproar.

Also, an Easter Egg usually isn't something non offensive that can be easily missed and serves no direct purpose in game, this on the other hand is a powerful late game unit.
Does one usually make it that far in the game? My games are usually over before I can build GDRs...

Unless of course a 1/3 of the people didnt buy the expansion because a useless unit was added in when so many other things need attention. Then their would be an uproar.
Fortunately, the notion of them losing hundreds of thousands of Civ players on the basis of adding the X-COM unit is, of course, patently ludicrous. Even losing the few dozen who voted "no" in this insular little thread is extremely unlikely.

Does one usually make it that far in the game? My games are usually over before I can build GDRs...
That would indeed be representative of a normal Civ game. If you can make X-Com, you're just waiting on parts for your spaceship.

I would bet that most people who follow civ 5 close enough to nitpick one unit being added are probably big enough fans to buy the expansion regardless of one unit. I am thinking this unit won't affect sales in any noticable way.

Fortunately, the notion of them losing hundreds of thousands of Civ players on the basis of adding the X-COM unit is, of course, patently ludicrous. Even losing the few dozen who voted "no" in this insular little thread is extremely unlikely.

I think most of us who voted no, myself included, am against the unit but that won't stop us from throwing money at Firaxis if the expansion is good enough (which it seems like it'd be - I was one of the old Civ fans originally disappointed with Civ 5, but thankfully it seems like Gods and Kings and now BNW will help make Civ 5 just as interesting and intricate as its predecessors, and maybe even more so). Well, Pedro Claus/Santa Pedro looks epic enough to convince me to buy it and makes up for the otherwise (in my opinion) unnecessary X-COM unit.

Top Bottom