does your game ever freeze??????????

miked

Chieftain
I'm ready to do to the CD what I was going to do to the russians, but of course my game has frozen and won't come back!
Let me explain...Big ol' russia is the runt of this game, so I figured I'll get just wipe them off the map and get their princess. However, we both have mutual protection pacts with the Ethiopians, so I declare war but wait for them to attack me first. I go through the AI turns ok, then i get a message box saying China has declared war on the Russians. I have a mutual protection pact with them too...but the screen just sits there and sits there and sits there...the music plays but nothing else happened. It first happened to me 3 turns before and I couldn't get it back, so i used an autosave and didn't declare war, thinking something might be different if I wait. But no, same old crap.
I'm running windows xp with 512mb ram, a 1.6 P4, so my computer being slow can't possibly be the reason. There's 16 civs too. I used to play with 31, but waiting 10 minutes for my turn got old really fast.
I also experience amazingly long hanging times when I found cities...it blows my mind...1 time i waited about 5 minutes after I connected a road to a city.
Anyone have any similar experiences and *gasp* fixed it/them? Please give me hope.....and anyone have any ideas how to get this POS from not being damn slow?

I've had the same problem once. I launched a Icbm at a Korean city. It launched but it never landed. I just reset the computer and this seemed to solve the problem. but i don't what can help the long hanging times

This is probably a dumb question but...
...when the advisor came up saying China declared war on the Russians, did you click the 'O' button?

yes to the first question, i click on the O....and then began my long wait.

map size is huge....i've played on huge with 31 civs and never had this happen...
year is 1160AD...and i'm researching refining
as for the version I'm not sure, i'll have to check when i get enough of an urge to play it again...

just to show you how ******ed this whole thing was, i wrote this thread while waiting....i used the windows button to get my IE going. i always use the windows button to play some normal music while i'm playing the game...it's never affected my game play, unless it's in the middle of the 'please wait' turn, and at that point, i can't do anything but wait.
so when i finished my threat, i closed IE but I couldn't get back to the Civ screen....it was frozen with the IE page..
then it was ctrl alt del time.

My pc is much lower specc'd that yours and it has not frozen on me mid-game yet.
You might want to check what else is running on your pc at the same time, eg anti-virus doing a system scan or something.
Right-click on all the icons by your system tray clock and Exit them, or Ctrl-Alt-Del and forcibly end applications.
Also, check your Start - Programs - Startup folder to see what auto-starts when your pc boots up. Get rid of the MS Office Startup if it's in there.

Other than that, I'm stumped. Have you tried formatting C: and re-installing? :+(

I'm playing PTW 1.21f , I have rather powerfull mashine ( P4 2Ghz , ~400 Mb DDR ) and game crashes from time to time . :(
Frankly , I suspect there's some problem with hardware ( soundblaster maybe ) cause people here say last patch of PTW runs pretty smoothly .

Top Bottom