Quick Questions and Answers

Strictly speaking, no, since you do not have visibility into your RA partner's beaker production rate. In BNW the RA payoff is slaved to the beaker production of the RA partner producing the least amount of beakers over the RA term. If you know you are the beaker-production laggard, you can figure it out by noting your beaker production on each turn of the RA. If the AI is the laggard, no such luck.

Anyway to know how much you and/or the AI will benefit from an RA?

Strictly speaking, no, since you do not have visibility into your RA partner's beaker production rate. In BNW the RA payoff is slaved to the beaker production of the RA partner producing the least amount of beakers over the RA term. If you know you are the beaker-production laggard, you can figure it out by noting your beaker production on each turn of the RA. If the AI is the laggard, no such luck.

While you can't find out the amount of beakers that would be gained (your rate should always be higher than the AIs), you can use the trade routes avialable and hover over the scores to get info about how far behind each AI is with techs, and then use that as a proxy as to which AI you'd gain the most from.

This is something that's been bugging me for years. I've never been able to figure out what the heck the worker units are saying when you click on them. Can anyone explain that for me?

I think their "panting".

Question on using air units.Is there a way to select ALL of your air units to rebase to a new city,or attack a single tile with one click,rather than selecting each one individually?or a way to group fighters and bombers?thanks.

1. How do I avoid getting 2v1'd by the AI in the higher difficulty levels?
2. What's a good mod for having there be as many turns as marathon but with faster production rates? On other settings by the time I get something built half the time it's already out of date.

Question on using air units.Is there a way to select ALL of your air units to rebase to a new city,or attack a single tile with one click,rather than selecting each one individually?or a way to group fighters and bombers?thanks.

As far as I'm aware you have to do this one by one in Civ V.

1. How do I avoid getting 2v1'd by the AI in the higher difficulty levels?
2. What's a good mod for having there be as many turns as marathon but with faster production rates? On other settings by the time I get something built half the time it's already out of date.

1. Leave the AI a useless city instead of taking their very last one. Don't mess with city states. Don't propose a world religion. Don't propose science funding early. Don't play liberty self wide unless you've also built a military.

2. That's a question for the creation & customization forum since that's where those that mod hang out.

For Venice, when your capital is taken, do you get the earliest puppet city as the new capital? If so, then when you recapture Venice the city, does the old capital become a puppet again or does it become an annexed city?

For Venice, when your capital is taken, do you get the earliest puppet city as the new capital? If so, then when you recapture Venice the city, does the old capital become a puppet again or does it become an annexed city?

The new capital would remain a puppet, but I don't know what criteria it would use to choose which of your puppets would be your new city.

I think if you recaptured Venice it would remain a regular city.

See Don't lose the Capital!
If Venice loses its original Capital, the Capital is moved to another puppeted city. Because Serenissima prevents city annexing, the new Capital is NOT annexed and is still a puppet. No wonders or archaeologists may be built in any city at this point, since all cities will be puppets. It is also worth noting that there is currently a bug (or "feature" of Serenissima) in the game that prevents Venice from annexing its own Capital if they recapture it by force during a war. If this happens, the player is only given the option to puppet the city.
Quite devastating.

Yeah, gg. I prolly keep playing if I loose a founded city, but not my cap. Sometimes I will see if I can take my cap back and keep it for several turns. But I find those situations more tedious than challenging, and just not worth pursing. Usually I will reload, and try and figure out where I let the game get away from me.

What are the factors that will cause all CS to declare permanent war on you? Is it the number of CS you've capture, the number of wars you engaged in with them or something else? If you've been friendly with all but one CS, what is the chance of a permanent war?

For example you're playing Aztec and there are 3 CS on your continent. There are no nearby major Civ so they are all nonaligned. You chose one as a culture farm and declare war. You reject every single peace offer, intending to stay at war. You don't capture it though. You always move out after decimating their army (still at war) only returning when there are new units to kill. How would the other city-states react?

^^ It is strictly the number of DOWs you initiate against CS. This is very counterintuitive because the number of CS you conquer is not a factor! The scenario you describe would not cause the CS any reaction.

1st CS DOW: no CS reaction
2nd CS DOW: Resting state for all CS at -20.
3rd CS DOW: Permanent state of war from all CS.

P.S., You won’t get peace offers from a CS. If you’ve been friendly with all but one CS, the chances of a permanent CS war are zero.

So that means I can only pull it off once. Totally forgot about that peace treaty. Might seem a bit unbelievable but I've never really attacked a CS before, playing mostly peaceful games (not even bullying). This would be the first time.

Also are there ways to stop major civs from interfering with the war? I remember seeing non-allied city-states requesting units when attacked by warmongers so I'm assuming they can do the same to the AI. What if the CS suddenly gained an ally in the middle of the conflict? Is there a way to tell major civs "mind your own business" the same way they ask you to stop influencing their allies?

Might seem a bit unbelievable but I've never really attacked a CS before, playing mostly peaceful games (not even bullying). This would be the first time.

Yeah, me too. Post Halloween patch, we will see a lot more players conquering one-and-only-one CS!

I remember seeing non-allied city-states requesting units when attacked by warmongers so I'm assuming they can do the same to the AI.

Prolly, I have never seen/heard of evidence either way. The gifting rate will be slow enough that I can’t imagine it making a difference.

What if the CS suddenly gained an ally in the middle of the conflict?

Not a factor. DOWing a protected or allied CS causes diplo problems. Pledges/friends/allies post-DOW don’t effect diplo.

Is there a way to tell major civs "mind your own business" the same way they ask you to stop influencing their allies?

If you DOW a CS under a pledge-to-protect or that has an ally you will get a demand (phrased as a request) to leave them alone. If you decline the demand, you get a further diplo hit.

The dialog about influencing their CS allies is only atmosphere and has no diplo nor game effects either way that you answer it.

Can someone please explain to me the significance of petra? I know you get a caravan and the extra trade route, but how does it fit into your game that makes a location a "good Petra city"? Thanks.

Petra also adds 1 food and 1 production to all desert times (other than flood plains). This means regular desert tiles get the same yield as plains times, but a city with regular desert tiles is not a good Petra city. A good Petra city has scads of desert hills (especially some riverside desert hills, which will yield 3 food and 3 production when farmed (post-Civil Service)).

Petra also adds 1 food and 1 production to all desert times (other than flood plains). This means regular desert tiles get the same yield as plains times, but a city with regular desert tiles is not a good Petra city. A good Petra city has scads of desert hills (especially some riverside desert hills, which will yield 3 food and 3 production when farmed (post-Civil Service)).

Does that imply locations where I have desert resources (sheep, iron, incense) would be extremely powerful tiles with petra+desert folklore? Also, most tiles are not useful on desert apart from flood plains, but Petra doesn't grant the +1 food and production to the flood plains?

Does that imply locations where I have desert resources (sheep, iron, incense) would be extremely powerful tiles with petra+desert folklore? Also, most tiles are not useful on desert apart from flood plains, but Petra doesn't grant the +1 food and production to the flood plains?

The bonus is applied to non-flood plain tiles with resources. Whether that makes those tiles *extremely* powerful is debatable since they're not that great without the bonus (unless they are on a desert hill). But, yeah, if you have several tile with either desert resources or desert hills, Petra would be good.

Top Bottom