Initial Reactions

Mongus

Chieftain
Ahoy! I downloaded this a few days ago, and I was immediately impressed by the breadth and potential for this mod. I am currently playing a custom game as the Hobgoblins. Here are assorted questions, suggestions, and ideas.

- Does the "World of Warhammer" map always CTD after the first turn is ended? I tried as the Ogres, Estalia, and Southlands.
- The "World of Warhammer" map looked very cool, with lots of new resources and unique features. However, it is very large, and I imagine the thick mountain ranges would be difficult for the AI. The size seems especially inappropriate for a map that is to be made into a Rhye's and Fall Style game.
- When I started as both Ogres and Hobgoblins I got a message on the first turn along the lines of "Greenskin shrines have been razed and people scattered." Then the Destruction religion went away in my city. I don't understand - why am I given Destruction just to have it taken away? Anything I'm missing?
- I imagine Skaven will be included later, since the Council of Thirteen is a leader. However, I disagree with the interpretation of Skaven as having the Sprawling (Kuriotates) ability. The name is fine, but the population of their cities is much more significant a factor than their horizontal size. Since they primarily live in mountains, I would imagine that their cities are actually tight-packed warrens in a relatively small space. I think an ability that added to their food (Between +25% and +100% food, perhaps) would be more appropriate considering the lore.
- The tech tree is hard to read, but I imagine this will look better in later releases.
- I have some comments about the religion, but I'll put them in the religion thread.

I'm definitely happy I installed a second version of Civ so I could play this mod. I'm very interested in playing more, especially in seeing how wars work with the AI.

First of all, Welcome to Civ Fanatics and the Warhammer Mod! :wavey:

- Does the "World of Warhammer" map always CTD after the first turn is ended? I tried as the Ogres, Estalia, and Southlands.
yes, if you want to fix it simply delete the flames north of Ulthuan (the high elves island) i think thats all the flames there are.
- The "World of Warhammer" map looked very cool, with lots of new resources and unique features. However, it is very large, and I imagine the thick mountain ranges would be difficult for the AI. The size seems especially inappropriate for a map that is to be made into a Rhye's and Fall Style game.
thanks :) i spent a long time working on that with Kairob :)
The AI handle the mountain ranges fine in all my games.
We have abandone the idea of doing a Rhye's and Fall style game for WH. we dont have the skills and the project has moved on ;)
when we relase the next version im going to make a series of different sized maps, as well as a few scenari maps t ouse for scenarios at a later date.
- When I started as both Ogres and Hobgoblins I got a message on the first turn along the lines of "Greenskin shrines have been razed and people scattered." Then the Destruction religion went away in my city. I don't understand - why am I given Destruction just to have it taken away? Anything I'm missing?
this is very unusual. i never encountered anything like this before. unfortunately because we are working on a new version, the version you have wont be updated. the mechanic SHOULD remove all non-state religions and install destruction as the state religion...
- I imagine Skaven will be included later, since the Council of Thirteen is a leader. However, I disagree with the interpretation of Skaven as having the Sprawling (Kuriotates) ability. The name is fine, but the population of their cities is much more significant a factor than their horizontal size. Since they primarily live in mountains, I would imagine that their cities are actually tight-packed warrens in a relatively small space. I think an ability that added to their food (Between +25% and +100% food, perhaps) would be more appropriate considering the lore.
that is an interesting interpretation (though i disagree, ill get onto that in a sec), but the Skaven design is already based around the sprawling mechanic. i personally think the sprawling mechanic suits the much better. thats because sprawling allows for a few HUGE cities, which is what skaven have in the warhammer world, coupled with a few unique improvements we have planned it will make the Skaven very speciailized waround their few massive cities. all the other 'outposts' (not settlements) represent entrances and small fortification to the under-empire.
- The tech tree is hard to read, but I imagine this will look better in later releases.
definately. we have already done a massive overhaul on the tech tree.
- I have some comments about the religion, but I'll put them in the religion thread.
ok :)

thanks for your feedback! its useful getting feedback from the old version which will help us make the next version better :) and im especially impressed someone was eager enough to install a second copy of civ! :thumbsup:

Psychic_Llamas said:
i think thats all the flames there are.

There’s also some west of Naggarond. That should be all, but you might wanna check the Chaos Wastes, just in case. Should work then.

However, I disagree with the interpretation of Skaven as having the Sprawling (Kuriotates) ability. The name is fine, but the population of their cities is much more significant a factor than their horizontal size. Since they primarily live in mountains, I would imagine that their cities are actually tight-packed warrens in a relatively small space. I think an ability that added to their food (Between +25% and +100% food, perhaps) would be more appropriate considering the lore.

The "sprawling" is just a name, from the FFH trait it copies.
You can easily think of this as a high population concentrated in a small area, but with various resource gatherers covering a large area. The important thing is that the city can be huge; it doesn't really mean that the population are necessarily low-density.

Giving a +% food bonus would make the city grow faster, which would be a big balance problem; sprawling instead doesn't let it grow faster, but instead allows it to keep growing into a huge metropolis.

When I started as both Ogres and Hobgoblins I got a message on the first turn along the lines of "Greenskin shrines have been razed and people scattered." Then the Destruction religion went away in my city. I don't understand - why am I given Destruction just to have it taken away? Anything I'm missing?

This is a bug; Destruction should function for same for hobgobs and ogres as it does for orks/goblins.
We never really notcied because hobgobs and ogres aren't really playable in the old version.

The tech tree is hard to read, but I imagine this will look better in later releases.

The tech tree has been tweaked, but it is still a little hard to read, and this is somewhat unavoidable because of the large number of techs we have (very wide tech tree, including all the racial and magic techs) and the complex tech requirements (we have deliberately tied the tree in a little tighter, to help force combined arms).

not much work has happened in the last few weeks because a lot of us have been busy. i have my last exam on the 10th next month so after that ill be able to get a lot of Modding done. so hopefully before xmas :)

not much work has happened in the last few weeks because a lot of us have been busy. i have my last exam on the 10th next month so after that ill be able to get a lot of Modding done. so hopefully before xmas :)

I feel your pain, my life is all about exams as well these days but it would be fantastic if the mod would be available before xmas... now I know what I want :)

Yeah. I have a Chem test Monday & a Research paper due. Suffice to say, busier than I'd want. And same with the rest of us naturally.

Top Bottom