Warhammer Heart of Chaos - Download and Current Changelog

Do you have all the old mod art files somewhere?

i do have some of it. all the art from the old mod i have is in the .fpk in the mod download. if you want to take a look extract it and it should all be there somewhere :)

hooking up existing art from the old mod or other sources to the units we have probably has a higher impact than designing or tweaking new art models.

yeh obviously, but its nice to be able to say 'this unit is totally done. we dont need to look for anymore art for it at all' which is what im trying to accomplish at the moment.

I meant: I still have my copy of the old mod, so if you're missing some files, let me know and I can get them to you somehow.

ahh, i do have *some* of it, but im missing heaps for some reason :/ if you like you can upload it to the team forum so i can look through and see what im missing :)

Fortunately I still have the old mod around too; I'll attach a zip of the old XML/Art folder here and up a zip of the Assets/Art folder to megaupload as well. Once youve got those, as Ahriman suggests hopefully you could reuse whole chunks of the old XML artdefs directly which could help streamline the art workload drastically.

1. Wartats, iron/steel weapons, meteoric iron mechanics.
2. Eternal Army mechanic (immortality with only a probability of procing.)
3. Tomb King curse of nagash mechanic (or is that pure xml?)
4. Chaos dwarf temple of hashut effect (copy-paste + tweak from Illian temple?)
5. Senior captain promotion effect.
I can try to work on making a python block for the Temple of Hashut volcanoes and desert which would definitely need python, AFAIK those other things should just be entered in using the FF promotions XML. (a good thing too since too many python onturns like that could really slow the lategame).

edit: here's the full art pack from the old mod; thank god for the Mega Manager!:p

Attachments

• oldArtdefXMLs.zip
    189 KB · Views: 313
I can try to work on making a python block for the Temple of Hashut volcanoes and desert which would definitely need python

Great! Thanks.

Shifting sands spread will also be python.

AFAIK those other things should just be entered in using the FF promotions XML.

Understood. Perhaps, if you have time you could help out with some of the more complex XML features? PL is no doubt busy with art, bugs and magic, and RLAF is grunt-coding main unit stats.

These would include the ones above, and maybe dwarven runes, the lizardman spawning Rituals (actually by Event??) and anything else you can think of.

I'll see if I can improve our Tomb Kings design to the point where you can work on adapting the Scions python code for our purposes.

Hi guys.

First of all, I want to tell you how amazing all this looks. So amazing in fact that ten minutes after discovering about this mod, I want on amazon and bought the game in English.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to install the mod. Here is some hugely noob question. When you install the patch and the music, do you overwrite the folders or you go and replace the files one by one?

When I manage to make it work, I'll give you all the feedbacks I can, because I am a huge fan of both civ series and Warhammer battle.

Thanks anyway and enjoy your modding!!:king:

Hi Zarathustra,

Welcome to the forums.

The mod is very much still in (re-)development, but we have a semi-playable pre-alpha version, and we're making good progress.

To get the current version up and working:
1. Make sure you have Civ4 and Beyond the Sword expansion, patched up to version 3.19 (the latest patch).
2. Install the main mod file in the Beyond the Sword/Mods folder.
3. Install patch a (Quick Fix 1), from here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8920645&postcount=136
Extracting the patch into the appropriate Overfolder and then say yes to any merge/over-write questiosn you get.
4. Install the music pack. Again, merge/overwrite everything.
5. Delete the 'Art' Folder in your "Beyond the Sword\Mods\Warhammer Heart of Chaos 0.04\Assets" Folder
Delete the 'FFPak051' File in your "Beyond the Sword\Mods\Warhammer Heart of Chaos 0.04\Assets" Folder
Delete the 'WHoCPak004' File in your "Beyond the Sword\Mods\Warhammer Heart of Chaos 0.04\Assets" Folder
6. Install patch b, merge/overwrite everything when prompted.

We should have a new version out soon that fixes a lot more bugs, and will be much simpler to install. Patch b was complex because it needed to delete some files, which you can't really do with a simple patch.

So if you can't get the current build working, you might want to just wait a few days until the next version is up.

Also, check out the design thread that has the main unit design if you'd like to see what we have planned. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=334546
We also have a lot of content from the "old" 3.17 version of the mod (magic, events) that we will be merging in.

Hi!

Thanks for your great work!

Is there already any map/scenario with the whole Warhammer world available (and proper starting positions/barbarian cities) as there was in the old mod?

I haven't tested the old map to see if it still works, but the start positions were messed up for a few factions even in the old map, and it wasn't amazingly well balanced (lots of factions were in dead-end positions, like most of the chaos and greenskin factions, and Skaven.

We're intending to make an Old World map at some point, but the priority is on getting the mod up and running first.

But certainly we haven't done any scenario work for the new version yet.

Is there already any map/scenario with the whole Warhammer world available (and proper starting positions/barbarian cities) as there was in the old mod?

ive actually been planning a small oldworld map for after the next version is released :p

ive actually been planning a small oldworld map for after the next version is released

Cool... then I will not start on one! (Which I had been vaguely considering).

I'll take a look at yours and then maybe make an alternate version of it if I have some balance change suggestions.

Some of the map design points we thought about a long time ago:
a) Good resources and terrain for capital city *and* natural expansion areas for every faction. The old warhammer scenario map (in the old world area) had terrible terrain and no expansion areas for kurgan, skaven, orc, goblin and khemri, and the Empire was forestlocked, and Chaos dwarves had no good expansion areas.
b) Factions not too far apart, maybe room for capital + ~3 expansion cities per faction, and then conflict for the rest.
c) Make sure every capital city has a mix of food and hammers (ie, some of the old capitals didn't have any hills in their BFC, so were very hammer poor).
d) Regular water supply (lakes or rivers) so factions can build farms, and start positions without rivers will need more of other commerce boosters.

I am thinking that for an Old World map we could have both a general empty scenario map version, and then a "modern world" variant scenario where civs start with accurately placed cities, enough techs to start building their main armylist stuff (ie all the tier 0-2 techs) and an army.

So, like creating a WW2 scenario, but for Warhammer. I'm guessing I'd make the lawful factions larger and more economically developed, but with smaller armies, and then greenskin + chaos + undead factions could start with weaker economy but bigger armies poised to strike.

Oh, yes in this case, I better wait the next version. I don't have much time next week anyway.

I looked at the art a bit everywhere, and it just looks awesome.

Just a suggestion for your mapworld: maybe you could favour "important" civilizations. It would be sad not to see any dwarf, high elvens or goblin in the whole game, and to see the map dominated by Nippons or Inds. Or I guess you will do that in scenarios anyway?

i might make that now actually. im not really in a coding mood atm and am bored haha

Shall we get a patch up then with the latest bug fixes?

Just a suggestion for your mapworld: maybe you could favour "important" civilizations.
I'd imagine that an Old World scenario would have Norsca, Skaven, Kurgan, Orc, Dwarf, Goblin, Khemri, Araby, Estalia, Tilea, Sylvania, Empire, Kislev, Bretonnia and Wood Elf. And *maybe* chaos dwarf if they fit, but that spot might be better used for goblin expansion areas.

The biggest problem with any WH world maps are that High Elves are in a terrible spot (Ulthuan, just out in the middle of the ocean, is never going to really interact with anyone) and then Dark Elves are waaay away from anyone else too.

Shall we get a patch up then with the latest bug fixes?

i ended up forgetting how to make maps in the stupid Civ 4 world builder and have to relearn it XD so didnt end up doing any map work. i will have another run through the bug thread soon and do some more fixes and post the next version as soon as i do though :) (probably after tuesday)

I'd imagine that an Old World scenario would have...

yeh, pretty much. my Civ roster for a standard sized oldworld map was:
  • The Empire
  • Bretonnia
  • Kislev
  • Tilea
  • Estalia
  • Sylvania
  • Woodelves
  • Dwarves
  • Orcs
  • Goblins
  • Norsca
  • Kurgan
  • Araby

no skaven or chaos dwarfs yet (unless they're implemented by the time i or someone else gets around to making a map :)

I agree with Ahri that the 'new world' (inc. ulthuan, Naggaroth and Lustria) is a pain in the ass for old world map desing cause its so large and far away. i think having a 'settlement of the new world' scenario would be awesome fun (having amazon, lizardmen, norse, tilea, estalia, skaven all fighting over lustria) and i stick to the idea that Kinstrife would make another fun small scenario between dark and highelves. later on a 'Eastern Warlords' scenario could be made with Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Hung, Ogres and beastmen. and then there would obviously be the World map, (possibly at different sizes?)

this is all future talk though :)

i ended up forgetting how to make maps in the stupid Civ 4 world builder and have to relearn it XD so didnt end up doing any map work.

WB is pretty weak. I really wish we could just copy-paste the Old World section of the old WH world map. The "scale" there was really just about right.

We want people close enough that diplomacy becomes an issue (if I attack A, then B over there might come attack my rear) and that cultural borders are pressing over valuable land/terrain.

One other suggestion for map design; for each faction's expansion areas, pick "logical" city sites, and place resources and terrain to encourage those as actual city sites that the AI (and human) will choose.

no skaven or chaos dwarfs yet (unless they're implemented by the time i or someone else gets around to making a map

Whether the factions are in the scenario or not for now is relatively unimportant; what *is* important is that the map is designed so as to have space available for those factions; ie a location for their capital city and a natural expansion area. That was the problem with the old map; Skaven were added as an afterthought in a useless location, so never did anything other than have a size 1 city. Skaven need to be added, either north of Kislev, or near Tilea.

If the map extends far enough south to include Araby, then it should certainly include Khemri. These guys are natural antagonists; without Khemri there will be no-one to fight.

I guess my point is: design the map with the long-term mod design in play, not with whatever factions we currently have coded.

i think having a 'settlement of the new world' scenario would be awesome fun (having amazon, lizardmen, norse, tilea, estalia, skaven all fighting over lustria
ater on a 'Eastern Warlords' scenario could be made with Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Hung, Ogres and beastmen
Absolutely, these will be great. Hobgobs also for the Eastern map, and I could see it extend west far enough to include chaos dwarves.

Also, High Elves could potentially be added to either New World (distort the map to make Ulthuan closer) or East (aren't there some SE asia islands that have old elven ruins, you could put HE there.

i stick to the idea that Kinstrife would make another fun small scenario between dark and highelves
I'm skeptical about Duel maps, I really just don't think that the AI is good enough for 1v1 matches to ever be that much fun. It can't hurt though I guess.

I'd imagine that an Old World scenario would have Norsca, Skaven, Kurgan, Orc, Dwarf, Goblin, Khemri, Araby, Estalia, Tilea, Sylvania, Empire, Kislev, Bretonnia and Wood Elf. And *maybe* chaos dwarf if they fit, but that spot might be better used for goblin expansion areas.

The biggest problem with any WH world maps are that High Elves are in a terrible spot (Ulthuan, just out in the middle of the ocean, is never going to really interact with anyone) and then Dark Elves are waaay away from anyone else too.

I guess you should get verrry fast boats for Dark and High Elves. It would also make sense. Also, remember than before the war of the beard, high elves had plenty of colonies in the Old World, so they should have settlers there also, imo.

I do believe that the mod will have a huuuuge potential for scenarios, maybe more than for normal games on WH map or Old World map. Can very well imagine a set of scenarios, focusing on a particular war each, and, why not, a region of the world.

I guess you should get verrry fast boats for Dark and High Elves. It would also make sense

HE and DE leaders will have a trait that gives +1 naval movement, but that really isnt' enough. Giving their ships super-high speed just to fit a particular scenario map means they'll be too strong on regular maps.

high elves had plenty of colonies in the Old World, so they should have settlers there
Yes they did, once upon a time.... but where would they go, given the modern layout of civs? We don't exactly want to be creating a High Elven homeland in the middle of Brettonnia.

We once thought of having a Rhyes type scenario which would model the history, but that is now beyond the scope of what we're going to be able to realistically accomplish (particularly with ciV on the horizon).

HE and DE leaders will have a trait that gives +1 naval movement, but that really isnt' enough. Giving their ships super-high speed just to fit a particular scenario map means they'll be too strong on regular maps.

Yes they did, once upon a time.... but where would they go, given the modern layout of civs? We don't exactly want to be creating a High Elven homeland in the middle of Brettonnia.
Well, as said above you can "cheat" by making the Sea much smaller than it should be. But otherwise, why don't you put a couple of island interesting enough in terms of ressources that one wants to put a city there, between Uluthan and the Old World, and between Uluthan and the New World? Then you would have a "bridge" instead of a huge ocean the AI will never bother to cross...

What I was thinking is that you could instead of making a WH Map, make a scenario which starts at the very beginning of the game, where everybody has one settler or two. Then you can both put your superfast boats which wouldn't be included on a random map or/and, for example, two starting settlers for the HE including one in the Old World. You could then decide to favour a civ, and you don't get the Empire, the HE and the dwarves eliminated on the first fifth of the game, which is always nice :D

I come with my newbies idea and I haven't even tried the mod, you have to excuse me, it's a bit silly. I'm sure you have thought about all this countless times.

Top Bottom