More environment interaction

AlextheGr8

Warlord
I'd like to see more environment interaction. Ice regions melt or expand depending on weather. Raising or lowering of sea levels. Pollution based on number of large cities and forest cleared. More negative long lasting impact of nuclear weapons. This would add more fun to long lasting games.

They could add weather in Civ... Empire Earth 2 had weather and it was interesting. The 4 seasons... sometimes storms, etc ... ofc storms can affect battles too... visibility, can slow the movement of units, etc. I'd like to see weather in Civ.

From Empire Earth 2:

Weather, another new feature, changes over time on the map and affects the look of the map and performance of units and, in the case of airplanes in thunderstorms, hit points.

weather is a good addition. Rain should lower the effectiveness of archery units. Wet grassland has the movement penalty of marsh.

Weather is not the best suggestion actually. Just because it doesn't fit the multiple days and nights, months, and years a single turn is supposed to be. It would then be hardly justifiable gameplay wise. Unless weather to change every turn on the basis of a probability of weather. (example : if it rains 1 days on 3 of the year on a tile, then it rains 1 turn on 3 on this tile)

But i'm not sure it would forth all the work, not to mention it would glut the map.

+1

All for the flavor !

there's something I don't get. Civ5 could be so much more flavoured ! Birds singing, sun shining on armors, waters, etc... the things you propose would make a much more dynamic game also. I really don't think it would be much complicated to implement.

Yes, all the things that are going to melt down our processors. I'm not against this stuff, but most people already struggle to run the game as-is......

They could add weather in Civ... Empire Earth 2 had weather and it was interesting. The 4 seasons... sometimes storms, etc ... ofc storms can affect battles too... visibility, can slow the movement of units, etc. I'd like to see weather in Civ.

They had weather in the BtS scenario Road to War where the season changed and snow fell on Russia. It really changed the way the game was played in that region.

But I really don't want to have to worry about more variables than I'm already juggling. Plus, imagine how weather effects on units will absolutely break the AI tactical routines. They barely handle the map already.

Weather is not the best suggestion actually. Just because it doesn't fit the multiple days and nights, months, and years a single turn is supposed to be.

It's for gameplay not for realism... a season can take like 10 turns or something...

But I really don't want to have to worry about more variables than I'm already juggling. Plus, imagine how weather effects on units will absolutely break the AI tactical routines. They barely handle the map already.

Yes, the AI can be the biggest problem if they add weather...

But I was just thinking... like.. imagine your fleet is going to invade another civ... and suddenly a thunderstorm starts in that area of the map. You didn't expect that... it affects your visibility, etc... there might be enemy ships near and you can't see them.

Or... too much rain... the nearby river just caused a flood. You have to send workers to clear the area and repair the improvements.

Or... bad weather in the area (fog, etc)... your airplanes can't take off !

Yes, the AI can be the biggest problem if they add weather...

But I was just thinking... like.. imagine your fleet is going to invade another civ... and suddenly a thunderstorm starts in that area of the map. You didn't expect that... it affects your visibility, etc... there might be enemy ships near and you can't see them.

Or... too much rain... the nearby river just caused a flood. You have to send workers to clear the area and repair the improvements.

Or... bad weather in the area (fog, etc)... your airplanes can't take off !

Hahaha I hear you, I do. But that would be too much for me. Seeing how unpopular random events in CIV were, I'm not sure others will either.

It's not a terrible idea by any means though. But seriously, what you are talking about would cause the AI to have a meltdown.

Yes, all the things that are going to melt down our processors. I'm not against this stuff, but most people already struggle to run the game as-is......

Some effects would not "melt down" our processors, far from it.

It's for gameplay not for realism... a season can take like 10 turns or something...

A season remaining several centuries ? Burp. It would just delay attacks even more, when they are still delayed in Civ5 by global happiness...

And I really wouldn't want to see a storm killing all my armies, or even make them late. It would just be frustrating, and Civ doesn't need that really.

Some effects would not "melt down" our processors, far from it.
Not trying to pick a fight, but how would it not melt down our processors? A lot of players struggle with the turn times, especially late game. Or they confine themselves to smaller maps than they would like to play. I don't see how more effects wouldn't increase the processor load and cause longer turns or force players to use even smaller maps.

Not trying to pick a fight, but how would it not melt down our processors? A lot of players struggle with the turn times, especially late game. Or they confine themselves to smaller maps than they would like to play. I don't see how more effects wouldn't increase the processor load and cause longer turns or force players to use even smaller maps.

Graphics have, or at least should have nothing to do with turn time. I know that i have had this discussion with someone else about Civ4 banana animations, that shouldn't have influenced turn time but in fact did, but the turn time is about moving units according to others for the most part, and making all the "hidden" calculations. It should not be because you have three more effects on your screen during AI turn that it should make the turn time bigger.

It should on contrary directly be linked to the graphic card. If your graphic card can't handle eye candy, then disable it.

Graphics have, or at least should have nothing to do with turn time. I know that i have had this discussion with someone else about Civ4 banana animations, that shouldn't have influenced turn time but in fact did, but the turn time is about moving units according to others for the most part, and making all the "hidden" calculations. It should not be because you have three more effects on your screen during AI turn that it should make the turn time bigger.

It should on contrary directly be linked to the graphic card. If your graphic card can't handle eye candy, then disable it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about though. There are a lot of players who have to play in strategic mode and/or very small maps because the game is so processor-intensive. It's a 2 year old game and many of the players who have problems with it have decent enough rigs.

If those players have problems with settings like large maps, etc... it's not linked to the graphic card but to the processor. Either they have too weak procs (it already happened that a guy with a ridiculous processor complained), or they are unlucky if they have a good one (PC hazard, I know that, some times the games won't even launch), or, they simply push the game too much (playing on huge with 32 civs...).

For my part, I only play default setting (small maps with 6 civilizations), with eveything max, on a 2 years old PC, and I could easily bare the extra eye/ear candy, which I must say would bring so much to the game !

Maybe not weather, but what about volcanic eruptions that forms islands and destroys improvements and forests, and climate change? Cutting down forests, using coal and uranium and using nukes would all contribute to climate change, which would produce deserts and marshes. In extremely severe cases, entire hexes could disappear into the sea, threatening to take coastal cities.

Maybe not weather, but what about volcanic eruptions that forms islands and destroys improvements and forests, and climate change? Cutting down forests, using coal and uranium and using nukes would all contribute to climate change, which would produce deserts and marshes. In extremely severe cases, entire hexes could disappear into the sea, threatening to take coastal cities.

Climate change was in previous civilization games and was a huge PITA. It didn't add anything but hassle to the game for the player and I was glad to see it go. That's just my opinion of course, but I will strongly advocate against climate change that can't be turned off in a game.

weather would be good for a scenario, but i actually agree that it wouldn't fit in with how the turns tend to take up many years in some eras. the pollution thing could work, though, since it has worked in other games in the series.

Top Bottom