Earth map, 18 civs, a story of a persian leader

OH GOD I love ur stories!!!!! Tell me more!!!

Question how do you get tanks at 1500ad. my earliest tanks were at least 1850

I want to join the tribute, this is a classic. By all means, we want more when you feel ready!

Snatty,

Could you post a late game save? I just upgraded my computer and want to see if it can now play with 18 civs. I would rather not find out half way through a game that I can't.

Or does anyone else know where i can find a late 18 civ huge map game?

I appreciate it.

@ all:

Thanks a lot for the huge feedback... ...since I´m back home now, I will try to finish at least one of the last two missing story posts this week

@ aronnax:

I normally tech up quite fast with normal settings because my style of play relies on an early tech lead (my preferred victory condition is space race, a thread where I described my starting strat for doing so on higher levels you can find here:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=204197), but what speeded up tech development in this game even more were the many early neighbours for trade and the fact that it was a huge map and I had 50+ cities at around mid-game already...

@ kid_ant:

I finished the game about 4 weeks ago and have only kept the screens and some notes to finish the story... ...so no saves left, sorry

With the Chinese advance in India stopped and all Chinese forces driven out of India, I decided to move my main army now to Central Asia (I have to admit, that the so called “main army” wasn’t very impressive, after we had to send 5 of the 9 tanks we actually had towards Africa, to meet Monty´s advancing infantry and artillery)

But some turns later, we had produced some more troops and finally we advanced on Kras…something. Without any losses, we managed to take the city back from the Russian army. But suddenly, Chinese reinforcements arrived to back up the Russian troops and the northern part of our main army was destroyed completely within hours. In the end, we also lost the city to the Chinese. There seemed to be a serious change in the Chinese strategy:

Had they tried up to now to invade through India, they seemed now more interested in helping the Russian and the Mongolian advance in Central Asia. More troops would have to be sent now to this front, since China engaging there would cause serious problems…

pic. 82_1700 a.d. China in Central Asia.GIF

China now finally seemed to have grown into the leading role of the coalition. And they were doing a damn good job, because 3 more Chinese stacks were seen heading towards Central Asia. Although we sent every unit we could spare to meet them, our main army was also defeated. Two more cities have to be evacuated and fell to the Chinese. One was burned to the ground, the other became Chinese occupied.

We desperately tried to take the remaining city back and raised everything we had, but the rest of our main army was destroyed completely in a heavy fight that lasted almost 6 years by the united Chinese and Russian troops:

pic. 83_1706 a.d.  Asian army defeated.GIF

This was bad news… …after we had managed to stop the initial attack of our foes with heavy losses in troops and cities, they now seemed to advance again. Apparently, the coalition had only taken some time to regroup and to time their attack better with the Aztec advance in Africa:

While our main army in Central Africa was taken out by the Chinese and Russian, Monty managed in a quick strick to overrun our defence line in Africa and we lost additional 2 cities to the advancing Aztec troops. As a result, Monty managed to spread fast inside our inner defensive belt…

pic. 84_1706 a.d. Monty inside our def. belt.GIF

I shortly considered calling in another emergency meeting with my ministers to discuss our strategy once again, but when I remembered what happened at the last meating, I decided against it. I really wasn’t in the mood to discuss the warrior against tank thing once more (and I would very likely have shot the defence minister for supposing this again).

So I was just sitting in my office and getting slowly drunk, when I got a call from the Asian front (now quite deep in Persian territory):

“Hello emperor, I think I have bad news…”

“Who would have thought that...”

“What, I don’t understand…”

“Never mind, simply tell me what you have to tell.”

“It’s about the Chinese. They seem to have invented a new kind of tank… …we don’t stand a chance against those with our tanks… …I don’t know why, but they keep advancing more and more… …we don’t even seem able to deal them any bigger losses.”

“WHAT, WHAT ARE YOU TELLING ME???”

“Umh, sorry emperor, but… …but it’s not my fault, the Chinese...”

“Sorry, sorry, just go on.”

“Our tanks, even the blue ones (without the big front window) don’t stand any chance against the new Chinese tanks… …they call them “mechanized infantry”…”

At that point, I didn’t listen any more what he told me… …the last thoughts I had while getting completely drunk (at least as far as I could remember) was something like:

“We need to change our symphony or we will lose this walk in the next fortune, again because we were outbleched by the Chinese…”

No, wait; now that I wrote it down I remember it was more like:

“We need to change our strategy or we will lose this war in the near future, again because we were outteched by the Chinese…”

see you soon,

Snaaty

wow. youre really ****ed. this story keeps you hanging on the edge of your seat. i wonder if our poor persian leader will end up hiding in an underground bunker as the chinese tanks roll overhead staring down a revolver after having served cyanide to his surviving family and friends in a giant vat of kool-aid? burn baby burn. keep it coming.

And..............?

Again I had a very unpleasant sleep. I kept dreaming of revolutions and a guy with a big whip. In addition, I could see the Persian people rise and help in this war. When I woke up, I went to talk immediately with my domestic advisor:

“Well, you know, I have an idea…”

“Yea, dear emperor, what idea?”

“I think we should turn back to the good old times where we could speed up works by using a whip”

“A whip???... …You mean slavery… …You know that we are deep into the 18th century, don’t you?”

“Umh, yes, I know, but WOULD it be possible?

“Well, THEORETICAL, it should be possible…”

“And do you have an idea how we could draft some citizen into our army?”

“Hm, THAT would be a better plan, we could use nationalism for example and draft some citizen every year”

“I have mad up my mid. Then I want slavery and nationalism incorporated into our governmental system ASAP (mental note: wow, that sounded great). Do you understand me?”

“Yes… …umh… …well, but slavery…”

“Do it, and do it NOW.”

“You’re the boss (dear emperor)”

Later that day, I also made an appointment with our head scientist. I felt that we would need some better troops to stand against the Chinese and therefore I needed his advice (but still I hated meeting him, because of my aversion against any scientists (and wise men)).

He told me, that they actually worked on a program, to improve the overall usefulness of our tanks. It would involve something he called computer. This should be a sort of thinking device which should help a lot. In addition, they were experimenting with mixing some metals and other things to make their armor stronger. They called these materials composites.

Well, to be honest, I didn’t understand half of what he said (maybe I even understood a little less then half of it), but it at least sounded like a plan to me. So I granted them every penny I could spare and ordered to speed up research. The bad news came last:

They told me, that it would still be something like 40 to 50 years more (= 18 turns) until they expected any results I could use in the war.

Next day, next meeting:

I met the Persian defence minister to discuss what our spies had revealed, concerning the overall power of our enemies… …the news weren’t good:

pic. 85_1710 a.d. Troop statistics.GIF

We managed to come closer in military power to Monty and Qin, but the losses we could deal them were marginal. So we were unable to close the power gab although we tried now for almost 60 years. We had slowed their growth some while back, but since they started to upgrade their units recently, they ran away again. We had to face the fact, that we would never stand a chance against them as long as our units were outdated.

…

So we fought on.

…

We held our ground (more or less, some more Central Asian and African cities were burned down) for almost 20 years. Our research meanwhile dropped down to 40%, because our people were growing more and more restless. The result was that we were running out of money, because we had to raise our culture efforts more and more, to keep our people at least pleased. But the nationalism/slavery combo proved quite useful in this respect… …it helped to keep the size of our big cities under control and therefore prevented riots and we were able to produce units much faster. So what we couldn’t win with technique, we fought with sheer numbers now and were able to take out 2 major Chinese stacks with 25 units altogether and one Russian with 12 units in Central Asia.

In addition, Monty’s advance in Asia came also to a halt. 27 more years (=9 turns) and we would reach composites and finally would be able to upgrade our tanks modern armor. If nothing went wrong within the next years, this could be the time for us to finally strike back.

…

Well, but it seemed that the coalition also knew this fact because they started to spread their attacks wider again:

Island finally fell to Monty who seemed to have decided now to open a second front on us in Europe. So we had to send some units to Paris and London, to prevent Aztecs raids in our mainlands.

Our troop situation was now better, but still we couldn’t afford a war on to many fronts with heavy fighting, so we had to try to keep Monty from getting a foothold in Europe by all means immediately.

pic. 86_1710 a.d. Persian military advisor.GIF

Then, another 12 years later, Japan suddenly joined the active fighting. Up to that day, they had only supported the coalition with supplies and logistic devices, but suddenly, 2 massive Japanese fleets were spotted. One was heading for India and contained 6 transports and 4 cruisers and another one, containing 4 transports and 3 cruisers passed India direction Africa. Again I had to make a dire decision:

Where should we fight and were should we retreat and sacrifice land and cities???

In the end, I decided to hold India and to give up Africa completely. Only the Egypt mainland would be defended, the rest would have to be given up. All citizen there were advised to leave their cities, because the Japanese were known to burn everything down and to make no prisoners.

In India on the other hand, we mustered a heavy defensive force. The bulk of our army was formed by 18 tanks. This proved to be very effective against the Japanese invading force, because they landed mainly with infantry (about 20 infantry and some artillery). With 3 artillery softening the enemy stack up a little, we lost only 2 tanks and managed to destroy this landing force completely in the first attack already.

But the price for this was that we had to leave the choke point towards China, the city of Bombey very lightly defended, so we only could hope that China wouldn’t take this chance to launch a surprise attack using their mechanized infanry…

Well, the Japanese raiding party in Africa was a little luckier. With no defences there, two cities were burned down very quick and they proceeded inland with impressive speed. There they met with Monty’s forces and regrouped. Again our secret service was right, because they warned us about Monty preparing to resettle Southern and Western Africa, covered by the Japanese forces. Still, we were unable to hinder him, but since our scientists would have finished our own upgraded tank (=modern armor) very soon (2 turns left) we saw hope again.

But hope and fear seemed to be close friends these days… …China suddenly moved more troops in for India just when I started to feel save again, and they contained mainly of mechanized infantry and artillery.

see you soon,

Snaaty

There were lots of worrying reports coming in from the Persian secret service recently:

Monty seemed to have now tight control over the Atlantic and his influence was rapidly spreading towards Scandinavia and the Russian sea. His cruisers and battleships controlled every sea route to and from England, so we were soon cut of reinforcements there completely.

Then, only several days after theses reports were in, we had to face the consequences of this development. Ireland had fallen to Monty in a quick raid. Since we were cut of completely from Ireland since days, we couldn’t even say how many troops he brought to take this island…

So we had to think about a defensive strategy that would allow us to defend Middle and Southern Europe and England, without splitting our troops in two stacks. I initially planned to split our troops, but the defence minister warned that splitting our troops would result in complete destruction, because we simply hadn’t enough troops to form two stacks in Europe.

But he came up with a genius plan:

We would station two transports in Paris and board 2 infantry, 4 tanks (which we planned to upgrade as soon as the research would be finished) and 2 artilleries. So we would be able to move within one turn into the harbour of London, disembark and immediately attack any landing party in England. Or, if Monty would strike for Southern Europe, we would disembark directly in Paris and move the troops to any city needed.

…

In 1752 a.d. finally REAL good news came in: My head scientist finally came to me and presented the first new tank. He called it modern armor…

…and it seemed that we managed to improve our tanks just in time… …Monty landed near Madrid with another impressive invasion army, which would give us much trouble, since our European army wasn’t finished jet. We had built the 2 infantry and upgraded 4 tanks to modern armor, but no artillery had been produced there so far…

pic. 87_1756 a.d. Monty invades Europe.GIF

We immediately moved our 4 modern armor and 2 infantry towards Madrid for defence, but since Monty landed on us with 3 fully loaded transports, we were depending on luck again.

But thanks to a strategic mistake made by Monty (he landed on a hill, but had to attack Madrid over a river), we survived this attack. Our European army was taken out completely, only one infantry and one modern armor survived the Aztec attack, but any Aztec survivors were taken out soon after their attack and the danger caused by Monty lingering there was reduced greatly with this battle.

In parallel, the year we finished our modern armors, was also the year the Asian and Indian land war changed. When China spotted our first modern armor, they retreated all their troops from India back to the Chinese mainland. Since we had reduced our research to 0 and started to upgrade our tanks, we were raising a modern armor based army quite fast. With about 50 battalions of tanks, and the money to upgrade 5 of them to modern armors every year, our military power increased greatly.

I felt that NOW was a good time to strike back…

…

But when we advanced with our army into Central Asia, we have to face a terrible fact:

Central Asia was dead. The once rich and happy cities all lied in ruins after they have been captured and recaptured numerous times by the Persians and the coalition (only to be finally lost for Persia in the end due to Qin having mechanized infantry).

A good thing on the Central Asian front was that only Qin has mechanized infantry. Russia and Mongolia were still fighting with tanks.

So we only had to fight mainly the Chinese on this front. But since we were able to out produce them, and they seemed to focus their defences mainly towards India, we managed to break their defences with our modern armors within 4 years more or less completely in Central Asia. After that, we were advancing towards the Russian territory quite fast, since the Chinese now were only able to sent a mechanized infantry here and there to help the Russian defences. And the Russian weren’t able to do much damage to our modern armors with their tanks…

In fact, without the Chinese protection, Russia was an easy prey. Within 6 more years, we managed to capture most of the Russian cities and planned to continue this war directly in Chinese territory. We were building only one battalion of modern armors every year, but with the tanks we were upgrading, we managed to crank out 6 battalions altogether, which was quite impressive.

pic. 88_1758 a.d. Russia destroyed.GIF

So it was just a matter of time, until Kathy was destroyed in 1758 a.d., with the fall of her last city, Ning hisa (which she captured from Dschingis in a previous war).

With this impressive victory in my back, I ordered the main army to advance directly towards China. The shortest way in doing so, was through India and we arrived only some days later near the Chinese borderland city of Xian with 14 modern armors and 4 artilleries.

Well, this plan proved to be not so good…

pic. 89_1764 a.d. our army defeated again.GIF

We managed to put up a heavy fight in the outskirts of the Chinese borderland city, but in the end, we had to surrender to the massive amount of troops China had opposed us. And I had to learn, that properly promoted mechanized infantry with a little backup from artillery can take out modern armors quite easy…

In the end, 11 modern armors and all artillery were lost and we only managed to retreat with 3 damaged (one was almost destroyed) modern armors into our own territory…

So I changed plans (again) and would now try to take out Mongolia first to completely isolate China in Asia. When Russia and Mongolia would be brought down, I simply would try to out produce china and to overrun them with numbers (what proved to be quite successful in the past, when we were holding our ground by sheer numbers).

…

And we had to be fast now, because China was pushing now for the space-ship, since they seemed to have given up the plan of taking us down with the coalition by use of arms…

see you soon,

Snaaty

More! Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore! Must read more! This is great man! Snaaty, it is exciting AND hilarious at the same time! Thanks for gread reading!

echt tolle geschichte!!! mach weiter, bitte!

ich habe nur einen kleinen Fehler bemerkt: das Imperfekt von "to make" ist "made" und nicht "mad".

Well, to all those interrested:

I´m working on the last part of this story (final post). If everything goes as planned, I will be able to post it this weekend (=if I can take the time needed during this week to finish the writing)

A short translation of the german conversation with "Bloody Ben" (again for those interrested):

Bloody Ben:
Really good story!!! Continue please!

I only have found one small (spelling) mistake: the imperfect of "to make" is "made" and not "mad"

Snaaty (=me):

Thanks... ...seems like I have forgotten the ...e while typing (and am to lazy too search and correct it)

Overall, I think I have mad:D quite a lot of mistakes (spelling, grammar, typing etc.) in this story

@ all:

Sorry, sorry, I know that the last update is taking much longer then expected... ...but this is mainly due to the fact, that it actually became much LONGER (storywise) then expected;)

To give you something new to read in a reasonable timescale I decided to split it again (in two posts, maybe even three) and think that I can post the next one tomorrow (maybe even tonight)

Top Bottom