Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

OOC: Perhaps all of you should wait for Chand's response on Ronin's position as either Australia or her colony Victoria before making any hasty moves?

OOC: Perhaps all of you should wait for Chand's response on Ronin's position as either Australia or her colony Victoria before making any hasty moves?

I already got the go ahead from Chand. I've been in a lot of his games.

OOC: In that case, are you Australia or Victoria?

Chand was still deciding that one but I believe he was leaning more towards Victoria when we last spoke.

PS - When you read this Chand, apologies for my over-zealousness.

OOC: You're right. It is to have fun. So, if you want to act out of character, try and hijack a planet with at most maybe 500,000 people and lead a revolt against a country which has probably granted you a strong leeway in the realm of freedom, which is both financing your development (because your planet is currently an undeveloped ********) and which is contractually obligated to grant you independence when your world is completed, great.

Sadly, if you choose to do that, your idea of fun will impinge upon our idea of fun, and we have guns, and you don't. You will be terminated and removed from power by our hands, if your own bloody people don't do it first.

I am tired of people walking into this game, going "Oh, hey, look, planets that can become independent!" and being morons about it, instead of stopping and thinking "Hey, it took Earth like 7000 years to go from being an undeveloped mudball with 10 million people to a fully industrialized and productive planet with a population of over 10 billion! Why, I don't imagine it's quite possible to replicate that success in a few decades all on my own! It would take sustained development on the order of trillions of dollars and massive immigration from the homeworld over the course of about a century to begin to even come close to achieving a fraction of that kind of output! So by revolting I'd be shooting myself in the foot and hoisting myself by my own petard, because they'd stop giving me free money, my industry would fail, only poor people would want to immigrate, I would have nothing to export but raw materials (and the travel costs are too expensive to make that financially possible), and my planet would become a failed example of humanity that would be neglected and politically isolated, if I even somehow survived! And I'd be leagues behind in development compared to all the colonies that weren't run by idiots! Golly gee wilickers that sure would be stupid of me to do!"

You want to be here just to joyride, then we don't need you. It's really that simple.
OOC: To be honest, I'm very surprised that Bacchus is surviving as an independent state.

OOC: Ah, I think I might be the reason they are lasting so long. still waiting from clarification for chad and my Tech PM from him though. so I might not be.

OOC: I actually liked ASTRIS, for a bit, until the past few posts confirmed by original suspicion that it's just Russia (and now America) controlling the colonial adventures of smaller terrestrial powers.

OOC: I actually liked ASTRIS, for a bit, until the past few posts confirmed by original suspicion that it's just Russia (and now America) controlling the colonial adventures of smaller terrestrial powers.
OOC: Yes, aren't we domineering! Being insistent that people don't come in and screw it up to fulfill their own deluded and ridiculous dreams of power which they can't possibly achieve on their own! God, we're just such terrible Stalinist oppressors, actually wanting people to behave sensibly, do the smart thing in the long run, and not be jackasses by compromising their own position through typical idiotic NESer behavior. Positively Chthonic evil right there! Ayup. Why, next we might even provide them a fleet in addition to the free colony ships, worlds, and trade routes we've given them!!! The horror, the horror! :rolleyes:

I know of course that you never, you know, take safeguards to protect the things you've achieved from people who want otherwise. And get annoyed when they do so for totally ridiculous and stupid reasons. Nope, never. Perish the thought.

Spare us your condescension.

lurker_comment: IT'S A GAME!!!!!!!! CALM DOWN!!!!!!!

Bla bla bla I like to rant

Which, of course, still doesn't address my point in that ASTRIS is dominated by America and Russia, who control the military arm and monopolize much of its technology for themselves. Posting long rants to try to distract people from the real issue, or making fake issues like the ethnic-streaming thing (which was a good idea because it shifted player attention away from ASTRIS), doesn't work after a point.

Of course, Brazil and Australia couldn't have established colonies without ASTRIS, but now that they're members they can't withdraw without losing access to the American and Russian ships that keep their colonies secure and supplied.

Speaking of which, Israel. WTF? Where do they get the population for that?

Blah blah blah I like forming incoherent and illogical anarcho-liberal arguments.
OOC: And?

American states can't separate from the Union without serious repercussions. Divisions of a company can't just spin themselves off and declare themselves a new corporation. They knew the deal when they signed up. If they want to exit or prompt their expulsion by acting irrationally, rather than attempt to renegotiate within the organization, why should they be given those things?

Please explain to me what the precedent for a free lunch on an interstellar scale is when the currency is worlds. I'm terribly curious why we'd be obligated to continue helping them if they spat in our faces and pissed in our Cheerios by, oh I don't know, trying to betray our organization by backstabbing us and forming an alliance with China.

OOC: Shadowbound makes a good point. Oh yeah but I forgot that its moot anyway because us 'lesser powers' don't get to voice our opinions or anything. My, my, my, the wonders of democracy :)!

Lurker's Comment: Interesting how the traditional libertarian vs. authoritarian debate is cropping up in this environment. There's plenty of historical precedent for this argument, regardless of who's right. It'll also be interesting to see what happens.

Though it probably rhymes with 'puking from high orbit.' ;)

OOC: Shadowbound makes a good point. Oh yeah but I forgot that its moot anyway because us 'lesser powers' don't get to voice our opinions or anything. My, my, my, the wonders of democracy :)!
OOC: No, you don't get a voice, because your intention appears to be to wreck this game:

[17:37:38] Niklas Broberg: you don't even want to see the PM I got
[17:37:48] Symphony D.: Maybe I do. :p
[17:38:11] Symphony D.: From that language though, it was probably from *drumroll* Australia.
[17:38:17] Niklas Broberg: oh, of course
[17:38:41] Niklas Broberg: wanting a military Oceanic Alliance against ASTRIS
[17:39:08] Niklas Broberg: oh wait, sorry, it was Oceanic Union
You have done just about everything that is within your power to piss me off. Don't even bother continuing your petty little "Oh, poor little Australia, picked on by the big powers" act because it's disgusting. You signed up, and you immediately did whatever you could to destroy the entire situation and throw it into chaos. I don't want to hear another damn lying word out of your mouth. I'm not oppressing you and being a jerk because you're a lesser power acting up, I'm being a jerk because you went out of your way to irritate me and act wildly out of character just for the sake of doing so. Reap the whirlwind.

I don't even want to hear another word of this garbage. You're free to debate the merits of my response among yourselves, because I no longer give a damn what the rest of you think. This behavior is a bloody disgrace, and I for one am and will remain adamantly opposed to it in its entirety. And if Australia decides to pursue such irrational courses in the future, I will have no compunction about playing in character and responding to a totally irrational government with machine logic. I've already done so once in this game, and I'll do it again if necessary.

lurker_comment: IT'S A GAME!!!!!!!! CALM DOWN!!!!!!!
1. Some people take their games seriously. Deal with it.
2. This is the first really good futuristic game to occur in quite awhile (since early-NiNES). Know why? Because people take it seriously instead of doing stupid crap. See 1.
3. Things opposed to 1 threaten 2, and must therefore be eliminated.

OOC: No, you don't get a voice, because your intention appears to be to wreck this game:

You have done just about everything that is within your power to piss me off. Don't even bother continuing your petty little "Oh, poor little Australia, picked on by the big powers" act because it's disgusting. You signed up, and you immediately did whatever you could to destroy the entire situation and throw it into chaos. I don't want to hear another damn lying word out of your mouth. I'm not oppressing you and being a jerk because you're a lesser power acting up, I'm being a jerk because you went out of your way to irritate me and act wildly out of character just for the sake of doing so. Reap the whirlwind.

OOC: 1. I'm sick of you and America, why shouldn't I be able to look for other alliances? I thought America was meant to be democratic but to me it looks like it's developed into some kind of Nazi dictatorship overnight.

2. Oh and it's really realistic China, Russia and America sharing information like that. Heh... Real realistic and all...

3. It saddens me to see that personal messages must be brought out into the public forum. I for one will not stoop to such lows.

4. Can I request renaming the NES - 'DO WHAT AMERICA, RUSSIA AND CHINA SAY OR THEY WILL CRUSH YOU WITH THEIR E-MIGHT AND ENTIRELY LOGICAL INTELLIGENCE SHARING!'

OOC: Way to many opportunities to profit from this... AAHHHRRGHH!! waiting is so hard when you have two pages of potinail Ideas ready. but I must not press the moderator.. I will wait.. calmly, and peacefully.
aahggh. must do something. Did anyone put a Claim on 151-056A in the Nu system LAST turn. I need to know if it is claimed as of last update, so I can know if I can use it in my plan, or if I should look for another planet in another system..

probably because you chose to play a nation that was under the alliance of ASTRIS before you even considered participating in this NES?

OCC: And I can't be part of ASTRIS and have other formal agreements with other government bodies? Or did I miss the part where Australia became the 53'rd state of the America/Russia/China hybrid?

The13thRonin said:
OOC: Shadowbound makes a good point. Oh yeah but I forgot that its moot anyway because us 'lesser powers' don't get to voice our opinions or anything. My, my, my, the wonders of democracy !
Australia entered the alliance because it believed that all of mankind should be able to reach for the stars. Everyone who joined the alliance believed that, ulterior motives or no. They banded together and sent men and women of all backgrounds to colonize various planets beyond the ground they walked upon.

Russia offered protection. Russia offered mutual support. While the lesser (i.e. industrially-impaired) members build spaceships for colonization, Russia was to provide spaceships of war and its own colonization ships. All the members agreed to that, and they agreed to America taking a twin role to Russia (except that its industrial capacity is beyond compare and really sped things up for the lesser members).

Now one of the lesser members tries to wrench itself out of a contract, which gives it free industry for colonization, free colonies, free colonial support, and protection in outer space. It can very well do that, but one just has to wonder--what got into the Aussie's minds?
The13thRonin said:
Oh and it's really realistic China, Russia and America sharing information like that. Heh... Real realistic and all...
Rational governments talk to each other when irrational little governments pop up. Like, you know, North Korea and Nazi Germany, except this time it might actually compromise a lot for any one of these big governments so they band together and contain the situation.

Top Bottom