"The Great War" (Story of a kind people continued turns 400-516)

Can you rename a city Albany for me when you go to war? Thanks.

EDIT: And why not rename Alanta to a Texan city like Houston instead of just calling it Texas?

awesome story (i love stories with worldbuilder saves:goodjob:)

awesome story (i love stories with worldbuilder saves:goodjob:)

Lol I used it to give Carthage a city back

Oh and this was actually a random generated map lol.

Can you rename a city Albany for me when you go to war? Thanks.

EDIT: And why not rename Alanta to a Texan city like Houston instead of just calling it Texas?

Lol I guess that would be a good idea

This is the final post on this story, as the game has been finished. Story of a kind people and "TGW" has combined for over 700 views!!! Not bad for a noob on the first try. Thanks to everyone who viewed and a special thanks to hoplitejoe and general olaf for helping me out when I was just starting. Also thanks to Neal's KOTW series which inspired me to post a story on the message board. And thanks to w/e guy advertised Neal's series somewhere else on the site which brought me too KOTW in the first place.

Now let us commence we left off after a bloody 11 turn war which claimed the lives of an estimated half a million American solders and united the island. Korea completed project after project; we were forced to declare war too stop them from winning a sci victory.

Like an idiot I didn't realize Korea's military would be way more advanced than ours since they were about to win a space victory. Our submarine showed us all we needed to know. Our fighters and bombers would be target practice for Korea's jet fighters.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Korea's air-forces decimated my landing crew than sent in its Navy too mop us up.

Realizing victory was not possible I asked for peace with Korea. He was willing too pay too be able to focus on winning a sci victory.

The remainder of the American landing crew returned home in disgrace, America having lost it's second war of the game. A sense of failure spread through the empire. Korea was going to win the game and we were powerless to stop them. Honestly had this not been a game I was reporting I would have learned from my mistakes and started a new game. However I have to put a conclusion on the story so I waited it out. I kept building my infrastructure for something to do.

The next twenty turns I just waited for Wang Kong too put me out of my misery. He was only a few projects away when......

The empire of Maya declared war on Korea and ran through at an alarming rate.
I just happened to have my science slider turned up the last twenty four turns. When combined with Gandhi's research; American technology had mainly caught up to the rest of the world's. As a result I once again played an important role in global events. I folded up my couch, threw away my whip cream, shave my unshaven facial hair, and showered for the first time since our defeat. I stepped into the white house dusted the cobwebs and got things going.

So Pacal and his empire declared war on Korea. We have already let Pacal's strength get out of hand, if we let him capture Korea he will be way too powerful to defeat. We had two options declare war on Pacal and consequently start a war which would probably consume the world or declare war on Korea and try to catipulate them before Pacal does. Obviously I went with the second option.

I still had to modernize my army and prepare it for war.

It soon became clear that the Korea would be destroyed or surrender before I was finished. Left with no other option....... My empire declared war on Pacal's empire. World War II had begun.

Knowing I was in for one hell of a fight I switched too war-time civics for the first time since World War I.

Unsure where too make the first move I just kept building my forces. Carthage and France took the battle to the seas. I used my air-force which was already stationed there too give Carthage the edge.

Maya advanced on the last of Korea. My forces in Carthage were not yet upgraded, but I had no choice but too send them in and try too hold Maya off.

Failure

Native America's Navy arrived and broke the stalemate in the Naval battle off of Carthage's shores. Carthage's naval forces were destroyed. I backed him up while his reinforcements came. Native America and Fracne devastated my forces which I accidentally left exposed.

As the fighting intensified we got some much needed help.

Now it was a true global conflict.

Korea fell

Allowing Ragnar to focus his forces on my ally Gandhi.

Knowing Gandhi could not hold off the Vikings alone I told Saladin too take my place in the fight with France and Native America.

But not before I destroyed some of the French infrastructure.

The Aztecs and Russia took up the fight against Egypt and Germany. The South Western continent was at war two nations against two nations. Overall World War II now consisted off
The defending nations(America, Carthage, Arabia, Korea, Russia, The Aztecs, India, and Spain(who is a non-factor)
fighting
The aggressor nations(The Maya, France, Native America, The Vikings, Germany, and Egypt.)

In July of 1998 my forces began arriving in India.

On the South Western front. The Aztecs and Russia were pushing back Germany and Egypt and the Maya who were sending their forces to help their vassals.

On the northern western front, things weren't going so well... Ragnar's war machine was too much for Gandhi too handle with just a few reinforcements. I planned to break the stalemate on the home front and invade France, but I had too divert more and more of my forces too India.

Sitting Bull arrived placing more pressure on my forces who were forced to defend two of Gandhi's cities.

I did all I could too help out Saladin and Carthage, but alone they could not defeat France and Native America. On the South Western front things continued too go well.

Unable too take Gandhi's neighboring city the aggressor nations turned their sights too one of his interior cities. Placing even more pressure on my force which now had too defend three of Gandhi's cities. Gandhi's defenses were pretty consisted of only my forces after a while.

All of my allies were incredibly short-sighted; refusing to give me their techs so I could bring my army up too state of the art status.

Thanks too my Air-force I was able too destroy most of the stacks threatening Gandhi.

However, more arrived and took another of Gandhi's cities. Crippling his ability to reinforce his mediocre troop positions.

More and more of my units are sent too India. I was airlifting units into multiple cities on every turn.

This was strange.

Russia and The Aztecs finished off Egypt and Germany; forcing them too capitulate.

It was now nine nations against six nations; the tide of the war was turning.

The aggressor nations kept changing their target city and placed more and more pressure on my army. Which was starting too be mostly in India.

Russia and her empire made peace with the aggressor nations. Now free too focus her forces on India, I knew Maya would be arriving at the front soon.
Now the sides were America, Arabia, Carthage, India, and Spain versus France, Native America, Maya, The Vikings, and Korea.

I beat back wave after wave after wave after wave of enemy forces.

By the time I decided India was a lost cause, too many of my forces were over there. Not wanting too abandon half my army I continued fighting.

I finally broke the siege only too see another one coming.

Korea broke free and I made peace with them immediately. Korea had rejoined my side!!.

Mayan forces arrived, but my forces held them off as well.

This is ridiculous Gandhi has barely any troops on the main front.

The stalemate continued, my air-force being maxed out in every city and fort Gandhi ha.

The fighting ceased when Pacal won a space victory.

Conclusion
Positives

So I lost that game, but as a player I can take a lot of positives out of it. I won the first world war. I built a great empire. I held off stacks from four nations alone, and in another country. Had I not been so committed to defending Gandhi the was would have probably went in a different direction.

Lessons

After this games Ive made a few more rules for myself when I play Civ4
1. 3 main production cities is not enough when in a global conflict, I seriously have to rethink my city ratios.
2. I will no longer divert more than 10 percent of my forces too help an ally. And no more than 20 percent to help a permanent ally. Unless I deem it absolutely necessary, and I will not have more than 20 percent of my forces there for more than 10 turns. I could have invaded France and Native America with half of the forces I used protecting Gandhi. With the other half I could have invaded Germany and forced her and Egypt to capitulate to me. I would have lost 1 ally in Gandhi, but I would have brought in four more.
3. No longer will I allow my science slider too fall below 50 percent. It's just not worth it.

thanks for the special thanks :) but more so thanks for a great story!
i'm not sure if your 3rd lesson i right though, i have seen somewhere that you should always try to keep it at either 0% or 100%. you would be better off asking people in the strategy and tips forum about this though.

Before I delete it here is the start of WW2.... Can you lead the disgraced America to victory?

Attachments

• Start of WW2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 36
thanks for the special thanks :) but more so thanks for a great story!
i'm not sure if your 3rd lesson i right though, i have seen somewhere that you should always try to keep it at either 0% or 100%. you would be better off asking people in the strategy and tips forum about this though.

Alright I heard that if you want a nice permanent number, you should never let your science slider fall below 70 percent for extended periods of time.

Top Bottom