Game doesn't work after update

stebbinsd

Chieftain
Hello,

I recently downloaded and installed the Version 1.6 update from 2K's website, so I could hopefully get the "marathon" speed (even Epic speed goes by way to fast for my pleasure).

But now, I've got so many problems with the game, it makes me want to rip my hair out.

-There's no music or sound effects of any kind.
-I can't even OPEN the "options" menu in the main menu in order to see if the sound can simply be turned back on.
-I can't load any previous saved games. Whenever I click on the "load game" icon, the button actually gets pressed, but nothing happens.
-This is easily the worst: When I try to start a new game, it loads about 2/3 of the map, and then, the game feezes!

So, I basically have no game at all right now.

How do I fix this problem?

From the update number, I assume that you are playing the original game, not one of the expansions (Warlords or Beyond The Sword). If this is correct, the last update was 1.7.4, not 1.6. You can find it in the "Patch and Update" area of the forums. The link is in the Civ4 drop down menu at the top of every forum page. Your problems may be due to errors introduced by the 1.6 patch. If applying the 1.7.4 update does not solve the problem then your install got corrupted by the 1.6 update. If you used the in game patcher, that is a common occurrence. It is safer to download any updates from the above mentioned area and then run it manually. If your install is corrupted, you will have to uninstall, reinstall, and then run the 1.7.4 update.

From the update number, I assume that you are playing the original game, not one of the expansions (Warlords or Beyond The Sword). If this is correct, the last update was 1.7.4, not 1.6. You can find it in the "Patch and Update" area of the forums. The link is in the Civ4 drop down menu at the top of every forum page. Your problems may be due to errors introduced by the 1.6 patch. If applying the 1.7.4 update does not solve the problem then your install got corrupted by the 1.6 update. If you used the in game patcher, that is a common occurrence. It is safer to download any updates from the above mentioned area and then run it manually. If your install is corrupted, you will have to uninstall, reinstall, and then run the 1.7.4 update.

Which folder should I save it to? Because I previously assumed that the automatic updater would install it in the correct folder, for me.

Ok, I'm trying to run the install shield wizard for Patch 1.74, but I keep getting this error message:

The setup has detected that version 1.09.000 of Sid Meier's Civilization 4 is already installed.

This setup is not compatible with this version.

You will have to uninstall the previous version before installing this version.

What am I supposed to do? How do I uninstall my current "version" without uninstalling the game altogether?

It sounds like you may have tried to install an earlier patch while you had a later one already installed. Probably the best solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

Remember if your version of Civ4 was purchased after 2006-2007, you probably already have the latest patch included by default in your installation.

Top Bottom