Recently Came back to Civ IV, Problem with Mods and No Interface

turingmachine

Emperor
Hi, so I've recently started playing Civ IV again after getting tired of stuff in Civ V.

I'm looking to use some of the larger total conversion mods that I used to, but I'm having problems.

Mainly, when I load the mod in the game I get no interface and can't access things like the options menu.

However, I don't think it's the mod. On my older computer, and my friends laptop, the mod loads perfectly fine. It's only on my new Windows 8 laptop that I'm getting these issues. (This is also why I want to avoid listing the mod right now. Since it's working on other computers unchanged, I don't believe its an issue with the mod, so I don't want people to dismiss my problem with 'go post in the mod thread'. In the end it may be the mod, but I would like to see if its a general issue first).

Enabling logging essentially gives me a bunch of "ERR: Call function onEvent failed. Can't find module CvEventInterface" messages (the error log is attached to this post if you want to see it in more detail). Checking, CvEventInterface is present in both the mod and standard game files (the mod also doesn't seem to edit the CvEventInterface anyway).

If anyone has any ideas why this might be happening. Could it be something with Windows 8?

View attachment PythonErr.zip

Have you tired running Civ as Administrator? Win 8 can be finicky when it comes to Civ4 and where the files are located. If they're in protected folders, you need to run the game as Administrator to get it to read in those protected folders properly.

Have you tired running Civ as Administrator? Win 8 can be finicky when it comes to Civ4 and where the files are located. If they're in protected folders, you need to run the game as Administrator to get it to read in those protected folders properly.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, after running it as an administrator and also trying to run it in a bunch of windows compatibility modes it still didn't solve the problem.

Hmmm. I had trouble with this until I set the Run as Admin to run for ALL users. It's in the advanced button of the Compatibility tab where you find Run as Admin.

It sounds stupid, I know, but that's what got it to work for me. IIRC.

I'll try again.

Both Steam and Civ IV to run as admin? Would I also need to set to run as admin for the mod itself? (Make a shortcut that starts directly to the mod from the desktop).

Yes. You have to have the mod set to run as admin. Otherwise, the OS won't let it make changes in Civ IV folders, which it needs to be able to do.

Hello,
I am using this thread for a slightly different problem.

I was until this morning using well ROM-AnD. I started a new game and the units are not visible, everything else being normal. I reloaded older games, ROM or else, and the units are never visible.
I reinstalled ROM-AnD for no effect.
I tried to go through some graphic options and found no solution.

Thanks for some idea.

Edit: I installed the game file on my other identical computer and it displays the units normally. So there must be an option that I clicked involuntarily. Or Civ 4 itself corrupt on my computer?

Play with the buttons/controls that are on the bottom right part of the main screen (3rd one actually), above the mini map. One of them makes units disappear to let you have a better view of the field.

I love you.

Btw I have never been able for ages to find back where to click to propose a bribe to the AIs.

Click on the leader's name on the scoreboard?

Click on the leader's name on the scoreboard?

Go to the trade proposal. Pick the action that you want to bribe them into (war or trade embargo with whoever), if it is not red letters. Then start bargaining what you are willing to offer as a trade. Of course, if you are on Friendly or maybe even Pleased terms (depends on the AI), you can try asking them to do it for you as a good friend instead of making an offer. If that fails you can then make a bribe offer.

I will check on that, thanks.

Incidentally a bug I rediscovered that you probably know about. I did not discover guilds or corporation myself but got them from other sources like great people. The result is I had no access to any guild then to any corporation.
I reloaded and went through the proper path of research and I got the guilds then the corporations.

Are you playing a mod? There are no guilds in unmodded CIV BTS. "Guilds" is a technology not actual guilds. Similarly, "Corporation" is a technology, although it is required to unlock creation of corporations, they each require another technology further up the tree and the appropriate Great Person to create the corporation.

Yes, I have been playing ROM then ROM-AnD for a while.
And yes still both are technologies and city improvements.
I cannot remember if the bug occurs on normal Civ4-BTS because I last played it years back.

This bug does not happen in normal BTS. I have used GPs to achieve these techs with no repercussions such as you describe. I would suspect that something in the mod is responsible. If you want to pursue it, you should post in the appropriate mod thread in C&C forum.

I still cannot find anywhere a trace of where to bribe an AI. The discussion panels with the AIs shows nothing.

There is no "bribe" as such in the trade panel. We humans describe it as a bribe. What you actually do is trade something for the result that you want. For example, you might ask AI#1 to declare war on AI#2 and offer to trade Horseback Riding technology for it. This requires that AI#2 be listed in white letters not red ones under the declare war option on the trade panel. Red letters mean that AI#1 will not declare war on AI#2 no matter what you offer.

Hm. It seems that I saw once, years ago, that I could buy a vote. Maybe just a figment of my imagination.

btw I have been playing Emperor for weeks, now. I just cannot lose a game, scenarios or custom games. I give myself handicaps, still I win. The AI is just too stupidly predictable. I am quite shy at shifting a level up, though.

Top Bottom