Question regarding tile improvments

benjwils

Chieftain
Hey fellow fanatics.

This may be a noobish question (I just started palying a week or so ago), but I was unable to find an answer after some searching.

When constructing tile improvements, what effect do improvements outside your city's 3 hex work sphere have (doing a OCC)? I know that strategic resources are received, but I was wondering if building things like trading posts and pasturing live stock have any effect at all.

My last win was a culture VC with Polynesia, and it seemed like the Moai gave the culture bonus even if they werent able to be worked.

Thanks!

You receive any resources when an tile is improved (doesn't have to be worked nor inside the city work radius). That is all. Otherwise if a tile is not worked, it doesn't provide you with anything.

The Moai is special in this case, as it provides a bonus to nearby other Moai (longer chain = higher bonus), so improving a tile outside the cities work radius can grant a bonus to the Moai inside the work radius and therefore actually improve your general output.

Thanks for the info an congrats on your 1000th post!

Allow me to posit a quick question to make sure I understand?

If I build a trading post within my borders but outside the city work radius I will receive gold bonus? But building farms is basically useless since the cant be reached to be worked. Is that right?

You receive any resources when an tile is improved (doesn't have to be worked nor inside the city work radius). That is all. Otherwise if a tile is not worked, it doesn't provide you with anything.

The Moai is special in this case, as it provides a bonus to nearby other Moai (longer chain = higher bonus), so improving a tile outside the cities work radius can grant a bonus to the Moai inside the work radius and therefore actually improve your general output.

You will get the gold for improving a bonus tile, I'm pretty sure, but when it's outside of the city radius that's all it gives, no food, etc. I know 100% for sure this is how it works with things like fish - you will get the gold per turn for placing a work boat on it even if no city can work it. This is why I always improve every resource and bonus regardless of location, the gold per turn adds up over time.

You will get the gold for improving a bonus tile, I'm pretty sure, but when it's outside of the city radius that's all it gives, no food, etc. I know 100% for sure this is how it works with things like fish - you will get the gold per turn for placing a work boat on it even if no city can work it. This is why I always improve every resource and bonus regardless of location, the gold per turn adds up over time.

What gold per turn from fish are u talking about?

You DO NOT get gold for improving these. It's just that the work boat vanishes and therefore doesn't cost maintenance any longer ;)

:lol::lol:OMG I'm putting this in the things you just now realized thread! Thanks for point out how dumb I am!!!
Edit: Now in the things you just realize thread.

"When constructing tile improvements, what effect do improvements outside your city's 3 hex work sphere have (doing a OCC)?

They will be your resources, but your citizens can't use them.

So you can connect that Incense/Iron as long as it is within your borders.

On my first successful win, which was a cultural victory, I had two great artist monuments that never got worked, it was hilarious. I also spent a thirty turn period wondering why my frigate was taking so long to heal (I was moving it a few tiles each turn to hunt for embarked units in my borders and then hitting Fortify).

This is why I think on large and huge maps, the workable tile radius should be raised.

Going tall is a bit more challenging because the amount of space you need to stretch to in order to control a region is a lot larger.

I don't understand. If iron is four hexes away from my city, I can't build a mine. I can't buy the hex, I can't get access to that resource.

Are you guys saying that there is a way to get a resource that is not in your territory?

Yes. Although you can only purchase tiles within a city's workable area, a city's borders can expand far beyond that via cultural expansion. And you can use a GG to claim extra territory that includes a resource tile - that can be a very good thing to do.

Also don't forget that expending a Great Person will not only grant the GP structure, but also the resource that is in the tile, so a Great Prophet expended into a Holy site over Iron, will also get you the Iron in addition to the faith bonus for the site.

Top Bottom