• Camel archer

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Maori warrior

• Sipahi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Minuteman, because they can't use road movement.

As soon as I built the first one and realized it couldn't quickly switch from one theater to another, I stopped production on any others. Actually worse than the unit it replaces.

(Aside - can someone verify for me that a subsequent patch hasn't "fixed" this? I haven't played American for months now.)

re: Landsknecht and Camel Archers - ummm, guys. :)

camel archers were awesome before the Mongols were in but now they're just a weaker and slower keshik

This is true (although as Barbi pointed out, incomplete since they also have 15% greater strength), but it doesn't make the Camel Archer any worse than it was before Mongolia was released. That's like saying Firaxis shouldn't release any paid DLC because it makes the vanilla game worse every time one comes out. :p

Minuteman, because they can't use road movement.

As soon as I built the first one and realized it couldn't quickly switch from one theater to another, I stopped production on any others. Actually worse than the unit it replaces.

(Aside - can someone verify for me that a subsequent patch hasn't "fixed" this? I haven't played American for months now.)

It did indeed; I think this was actually fixed two patches back now. I don't find Minutemen that bad on their own as UU, but of course they suffer from the problem every musket UU has of either facing early obsolescence or hampering your war efforts as you postpone rifling. For the not-that-great movement bonus, putting off rifles seems very counterproductive.

I don't get why the Minuteman is on this list. Since the road movement was patched, they're pretty much objectively better than the Musketeer, as they get a promotion that's awesome if you promote them to Mechanized Infantry, whereas the Musketeer is not only a musket unit, but one without a unique promotion.

Anyways, I voted Slinger. Weaker than the archer, with a completely random and highly situational promotion that only works if you put them in melee? No thank you

I don't get why the Minuteman is on this list. Since the road movement was patched, they're pretty much objectively better than the Musketeer, as they get a promotion that's awesome if you promote them to Mechanized Infantry, whereas the Musketeer is not only a musket unit, but one without a unique promotion.

My comments were of course predicated on the "old" Minuteman behavior.

Actually, now that we can promote B-17's to Stealth Bombers, it might be time to re-try playing the Americans.

Now it seems like the main challenge will just be to stay alive long enough to get some use from the late-game special units.

I'd vote for the Babylonian Bowman, except it isn't on the list.

This is true (although as Babri pointed out, incomplete since they also have 15% greater strength), but it doesn't make the Camel Archer any worse than it was before Mongolia was released. That's like saying Firaxis shouldn't release any paid DLC because it makes the vanilla game worse every time one comes out. :p
Corrected. :D
Musketeers are quite good. Cheap, don't require any resource & easily spammable. If they add few more techs before rifling, that could pretty much solve the problem. :)
Anyways, I voted Slinger. Weaker than the archer, with a completely random and highly situational promotion that only works if you put them in melee? No thank you
:agree:

i said jaguar.. what is the great use of having an upgraded warrior???

i'm playing with the iroquois now and they indeed seem to have a start bias with lots of forest so i guesse i shouldn't have put this unit on the list lol

i said jaguar.. what is the great use of having an upgraded warrior???

The great use is that when you later promote them to units that are good, like longswordsmen, they keep the ability. Longswordsmen that automagically heal upon killing units are awesome.

The great use is that when you later promote them to units that are good, like longswordsmen, they keep the ability. Longswordsmen that automagically heal upon killing units are awesome.

they do?? i thought that all unique units loose their advantage once they change to something better. sorry but i don't think you're right. but if you are i'll go with the Ottomans then.

Please have the Bowman as an option. It dies easily to melee units despite its advertised strengths, and is about as useless as regular archers. XD

Please have the Bowman as an option. It dies easily to melee units despite its advertised strengths, and is about as useless as regular archers. XD

i can't change the poll right now but i'll do another one entitled POLL (final matchup) with the recommendations i get here.

War Chariots. Chariots are already garbage. Unless you happen to start in a flat desert (otherwise you might get forests), they'll get bogged in the terrain and be about as useful as an ordinary archer. The "slowed down by rough terrain" really kills them IMO. Another contender is the Zero, who suffers the same problem as the War Chariot. At least Fighters are much better and I never build them simply because the AI never has that much of an air force, not because they're bad.

At least stuff like the Bowman and the Landsknecht replaces units that you would actually build (Archers, Pikes) and thus have a chance of being used. The Zero and the War Chariot replace units that I already never build because they simply aren't useful. I'm not going out of my way to build them just because they're unique.

they do?? i thought that all unique units loose their advantage once they change to something better. sorry but i don't think you're right. but if you are i'll go with the Ottomans then.
Yes they do. Most of the UUs keep their advantage after upgraded. Few exceptions include Legions who loose their road building ability. :)

They fight well against Warriors in melee & can easily defeat spears due to their higher ranged attack. What else do you need ?

Yes they do. Most of the UUs keep their advantage after upgraded. Few exceptions include Legions who loose their road building ability. :)

ok thx for the tip i didn't even know. i think the janissaries are kick ass then. and for the zeros i think ill put it in the final matchup for worst unique unit since so many people are talking about it.

I will say Panzer, even though it is not on the list, it is just so situational. Slingers are my favorite UU. They are are fantastic early game money makers barb camps are easy knock-overs. and if you rush 4 or so out you can take out 2 civs with them. I play Emp/large/marathon.

Top Bottom