Should UU's get UA's?

Allow me to explain... most UU's in the game are passive. They get a percentage increase to a particular skill (more healing, increased defense on hills, etc.), but that's about it.

I was playing another game as Rome and really liked something the Legions offer; the ability to build roads and forts. No other military unit can do this, and that's kinda cool. It gives them another use beside a boring combat strength increase. Spain's Conquistador's are also similar because they can found cities.

So, I was wondering, what other actions could you see given to the other UUs in the game to make them more interesting? Here are some of my suggestions:

ZERO (Japan): Ok, the Zero kinda sucks. A lot. But... what if they had a KAMIKAZE button next to their attack buttons? It will enable you to sacrifice the unit for a lot of damage, and goes well with Japan's UA. It also turns the Zero from a regular fighter into both a fighter AND an early guided missile suicide unit.

CATAPHRACT (Byzantine): Though it may come too early in the game, what if the cataphract also served as a missionary? If you build a cataphract in a city with a religion, each one would have a one-time religion spread option. You spread it to one city, and that's it. However, you can still fight with the cataphract after it's spread.

The only downside to that is that I'm not too sure if cataphracts were considered 'holy fighters'. This ability could also be used for any civ that was considered holy fighters instead.

BERZERKERS (Denmark): Since Bezerkers were considered ruthless sea-raiders, why not also give them an ability to burn down forests in enemy territories? Maybe this can take 3 turns to complete? In any case, imagine how cool it would be to invade an enemy's territory, burn down 5 tiles of forest, and retreat.

Again, this one could be adapted to any UU.

PANZERS (Germany): Maybe they can have a BLITZKREIG feature? When pressed, for one turn, they gain 2 movement and blitz? After pressed, the feature is gone from the unit.

JAGUARS (Aztec): Ok, this one may be a bit difficult to explain, but maybe the Jags can sacrifice themselves for a big culture boost based on units killed? Let's say one Jag has killed around 10 units and garnered 70 culture for the empire in it's lifetime. You've also been playing on an island, defeated the AI, and now all you have are a lot of Jags costing maintainance that you don't need until you discover more civs after astronomy. Maybe, at the click of a button, you can sacrifice that unit and it's combined culture kills (70 culture or double it at 140) instantly?

Just some thoughts, but I think some of these changes would make the UUs feel REALLY unique and awesome. What do you guys think?

I think fighters need a rebalance in general, to give them some real use.

I would never burn down the forests of someplace I am likely to own. Only if the same patch added the ability to plant forests.

ZERO (Japan): Ok, the Zero kinda sucks. A lot. But... what if they had a KAMIKAZE button next to their attack buttons? It will enable you to sacrifice the unit for a lot of damage, and goes well with Japan's UA. It also turns the Zero from a regular fighter into both a fighter AND an early guided missile suicide unit.

LOVE this idea! Noting that I've never played as Japan on anything higher than Prince, I have never built a Zero...having that ability would change that.

CATAPHRACT (Byzantine): Though it may come too early in the game, what if the cataphract also served as a missionary? If you build a cataphract in a city with a religion, each one would have a one-time religion spread option. You spread it to one city, and that's it. However, you can still fight with the cataphract after it's spread.

The only downside to that is that I'm not too sure if cataphracts were considered 'holy fighters'. This ability could also be used for any civ that was considered holy fighters instead.

Not so big on this one. While I agree that the cataphracts need some kind of buff, giving them a one-use missionary function doesn't address the biggest flaw with Byzantine (having a UA that requires founding a religion but offers no advantage in getting there). Maybe giving it a faith per kill ability similar to Pictish Warriors?

BERZERKERS (Denmark): Since Bezerkers were considered ruthless sea-raiders, why not also give them an ability to burn down forests in enemy territories? Maybe this can take 3 turns to complete? In any case, imagine how cool it would be to invade an enemy's territory, burn down 5 tiles of forest, and retreat.

Again, this one could be adapted to any UU.

Berserkers are already plenty strong, between the extra movement point, amphibious promotion, and Denmark's UA. My opinion, anyway.

PANZERS (Germany): Maybe they can have a BLITZKREIG feature? When pressed, for one turn, they gain 2 movement and blitz? After pressed, the feature is gone from the unit.

It already gets an extra movement point on every turn, as well as a 15% higher combat strength. ;)

JAGUARS (Aztec): Ok, this one may be a bit difficult to explain, but maybe the Jags can sacrifice themselves for a big culture boost based on units killed? Let's say one Jag has killed around 10 units and garnered 70 culture for the empire in it's lifetime. You've also been playing on an island, defeated the AI, and now all you have are a lot of Jags costing maintainance that you don't need until you discover more civs after astronomy. Maybe, at the click of a button, you can sacrifice that unit and it's combined culture kills (70 culture or double it at 140) instantly?

I like this concept on the surface, but digging a little deeper I can see how it might not be a good thing from a game balance standpoint. They already get culture for every unit they kill as part of the Aztec's UA, along with the heal after kills thing and the woodsman bonuses...allowing the Aztec player to also cash them in for additional culture later in the game would be a pretty big advantage, particularly when playing with raging barbarians on a large map.

Disagree, and mostly disagree on aztec jaguars, those jaguars carry 3 promotions!! 3 !!!
they dont carry 1 like polynesia, they dont carry 2 like few civs, they carry 3 good promotions!!!!!!!
and when they kill they get culture, go honor, kill 5 barbs, thats 80 culture right there...

maybe the japanese fighter..but then again, it be kind of weird to find joy in causing a kamikaze..

Hm. Your units seem to be in a pretty dark place, OP. I hope they get help!

Fighter use is already pretty complex in proportion to how much use they see in the game. A new button for fighters would be a bit much, even if perfect flavor-wise. Also fighters cost too much hammers to trash!

Panzer, while a lovely inclusion from history, isn't very impressive in the game. I'd rather it be replaced by a UB for Germany called Brewery though (local city happiness from wheat). On the other hand if you make the Panzer have a button to dispense beer, I guess that's best of both worlds.

I love the idea of having more tricks for units, but it would be pretty disruptive of civ balances. When a civ has a really weird ability or unit behavior then it's usually the only one of its kind (I guess that's a bit of a tautology).

Interesting, but the point of this thread is also for you guys to chime in on any cool ideas for new UAs for UUs. Any other ideas?

For my part, I found the Conquistador's Found Cities power to be something of a gimme - it's a situational ability that apparently isn't really weighed in its valuation, and expected to be of marginal use. I liked its sight range far more.

Jaguars and Janissaries already have a UA - they heal when they kill. No other unit has that, and their abilities differ from one another.

Keshiks and Camel Archers enjoy not just a UA, but a whole special niche - medieval era Rocket Artillery.

I broadly agree that some units could use the buff. The Hoplite currently strikes me as being somewhat underwhelming. Given the stand at Thermopylae, I think it would be interesting to give them a defensive ability - +100% CS when Fortified.

America-The minutement-gains ten percent combat bonus for each minutemen in line with it, meaning if you have ten minutement lined up next to eachother, they all get a 100 percent combat bonus. it would make americas revolutionary era look more like the real revolutionary war.

Have an abilaty called "raider" to, where if a unit ends its turn in enemy territory it auto pillages whatever tile its on.

Give a unit a unique abilaty to where if it captures a city and razes it your empire gets plus one happiness.

Uhh...no. UU's that get UA's don't have a lot of other benefits to begin with. A minuteman being able to fly through jungle with a 100% combat bonus is just absurd.

Berserks could have an ability which can be reused every 25 turns. Do double damage & take half of it during this turn.

The Panzer & Zero idea was nice. For cataphracts the simplest thing that can be done is make them knights replacement which are available at quite an earlier tech (midway between horseback riding and chivalry) & are slightly weaker & cheaper than knight.

Interesting, but the point of this thread is also for you guys to chime in on any cool ideas for new UAs for UUs. Any other ideas?

Well, I don't see this as any different than another thread that tries to improve lame units. :p Most lame units are lame because said units belong to civs with strong UAs, UBs, or other UUs to compensate. However, I always find it fun making ideas and suggetions. Agreed with those that think Hopilites and Musketeers are lame. Additional combat strength is nice and all, but terribly boring and doesn't upgrade.

I love your idea for a Kamikaze button. :goodjob:

Honestly, if you wanted Panzers to have a blitz mechanic in game, they should have the Hussar's ability (50% combat bonus from flanking) plus the movement bonus instead of the +10 combat strength. The power of the blitz was enveloping slower or ill-prepared enemies and annihilating them. Having an activation button wouldn't be needed IMO.

Just to keep things in line with your idea:

Hopilite: Phalanx button activates/deactivates Phalanx. +2 combat strength, -1 movement while activated.

Musketeer: En Garde! button activates/deactivates En Garde!. Unit earns experience twice as fast, cannot move, and cannot fortify while activated.

Maori warrior is one of the most boring & weak UU. Any ideas for that? :)

If anything Polynesia needs a boost for settling far away

Perhaps give Maori a boost similar to Conquistadors. May settle a city not on the same continent as cap (or 15 tiles from cap). These cities produce +1 culture per ocean tile

Something like that?

If anything Polynesia needs a boost for settling far away

Perhaps give Maori a boost similar to Conquistadors. May settle a city not on the same continent as cap (or 15 tiles from cap). These cities produce +1 culture per ocean tile

Something like that?

i think Moai should be able to setle a city on a empty Island. Even if yourself has buildet on that island.

Well the thing is they are warriors - you dont want people spamming them and settling them on the same island/continent as the cap/too near to the cap otherwise it gives too much of an advantage. Polynesia wants to try and get an exploratory /distant feel.

Top Bottom