How well will these specs run civ 5?

klaskeren

Prince
I have just bought a used new computer with the following specs

Core i3, 530, 2.93 gHz
4 GB RAM
Raden HD 5850 graphics card
500 watt PSU

What kind of performance do you reckon i will get?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
CPU Speed: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: 256 MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or better, 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics

It should run fine with these or better specs.
Since you have more than enough ram i think it shouldnt lag too much.

I have just bought a used new computer with the following specs

Core i3, 530, 2.93 gHz
4 GB RAM
Raden HD 5850 graphics card
500 watt PSU

What kind of performance do you reckon i will get?

It will definitely run Civ V with it having a DirectX V9 and a V11 executable. Performance depends upon what map size you play at, what graphics settings you choose, and if you are referring to earlier in the game or late game.

You would have serious lag issues on Huge map in the later half of the game with only 4 GB RAM though. (Performance will be much better one step lower on Large)

The usual if you don't know if your hardware supports DirectX V11 or not is to try DirectX V11 on a standard map. If graphical artifacts appear after a couple of hours switch to V9 (this would be bad if you intend to get Beyond Earth) otherwise stick with V11 even if there is late game lag.

On the post with a 2GB RAM, that's not really enough for the Windows version unless this is playing on Small (or smaller) maps. Smart phones now come with that much.

Definitely try the demo, then remember that the full game will end up slower later on. I'd be slightly iffy about those specs, though it's going to depend on the type of game you want to play and the performance you find acceptable.

(For reference, that would have been a low-mid range machine when vanilla was released four years ago, and I found G+K increased turn times quite a chunk.)

Definitely try the demo, then remember that the full game will end up slower later on. I'd be slightly iffy about those specs, though it's going to depend on the type of game you want to play and the performance you find acceptable.

(For reference, that would have been a low-mid range machine when vanilla was released four years ago, and I found G+K increased turn times quite a chunk.)

Yes, that was about the spec of a low machine purchased on release date / mid range purchased about a year before. The V9 version has less minimum specs, so the overall minimum listed is that version.

Increased lag doesn't actually increase the game specs of what's needed (user is just expected to wait that out). The minimum spec is more about what specs if you don't meet will there be weird graphical artifacts after playing for an hour or two.

Also, there is strong indication that at the time that Firaxis considered "Small" to be the normal map size. (Which again expects specs, it's written against playing on Small rather than Standard)

1. Before you play any game, that is the default map size.
2. Science is normal cost on small maps while it costs 110% normal on standard.

BNW actually increased late game lag issues more then G&K due to the introduction of cargo ships / caravans.

Every new machine today should be able to meet or exceed the DirectX11 specs, with the possible exception of tablets. Some tablets are still sold with only 2 GB RAM and in addition they may have very old graphics since most of the market for tablets is for 2D games rather than 3D combined with the monitors of tablets being about the size of a book.

Top Bottom