Civilization1 474.01 CRC Check

comradesean

Chieftain
I've recently backed up my copy of Civilization and it ran into three sector errors near the end of the disk (hoped it didn't include any data). Did a CRC check between it and a scene release from back in 1991 and everything matched up except CIV.EXE, ICONPGD.PIC, ICONPGE.PIC, ICONPGT2.PIC. Then did a quick google search and found the scene release cracked the .EXE and that mine matched up with retail, but I'm stumped on the last three files.

ICONPGD.PIC - AB12692C - 11/12/1991 4:19:00 PM
ICONPGE.PIC - 2577DF0B - 11/12/1991 4:20:38 PM
ICONPGT2.PIC - EABAEEF7 - 11/26/1991 5:42:44 PM

Does anyone have access to a copy that they could confirm these for me? Thank you

I've recently backed up my copy of Civilization and it ran into three sector errors near the end of the disk (hoped it didn't include any data). Did a CRC check between it and a scene release from back in 1991 and everything matched up except CIV.EXE, ICONPGD.PIC, ICONPGE.PIC, ICONPGT2.PIC. Then did a quick google search and found the scene release cracked the .EXE and that mine matched up with retail, but I'm stumped on the last three files.

ICONPGD.PIC - AB12692C - 11/12/1991 4:19:00 PM
ICONPGE.PIC - 2577DF0B - 11/12/1991 4:20:38 PM
ICONPGT2.PIC - EABAEEF7 - 11/26/1991 5:42:44 PM

Does anyone have access to a copy that they could confirm these for me? Thank you

You could try opening them in JCivED, see if it works or crashes in error (meaning they are corrupt).

which tool did you use to generate the CRC value?

You could try opening them in JCivED, see if it works or crashes in error (meaning they are corrupt).

which tool did you use to generate the CRC value?

Okay, they were corrupt. I did a bunch of comparisons and found out exactly which three hex values were corrupted on the disk image and corrected them. All files now match up and I believe the disk image is still 1:1 with a CRC of E5AF7C8F.

Now, I must have completely missed it on previous installations but contrary to what I said before my install seems to be 475.01. I can't seem to find out exactly what that means on google, but the timestamps still show up as it being a first release copy. On top of that, my executable matches the checksum of version 474.01. Anyone happen to know more about this than what I could google?

I've read that 474.01 and 475.01 both exist, but I also read 474.01 doesn't exist and 475.01 is actually 474.01. I also found something saying 475.01 was reserved for the CD version. Of course, all of these make no sense.

All I can say for sure is that only 6 bytes differ between 475.01 and 474.01... At the time I discovered this, I didn't investigate in detail what those 6 bytes are - but now I could... Seems an interesting piece of cluedo :)

Besides, from what I understood from various readings, subsequent versions of CIV.EXE were also delivered via Internet (BBS), so this version difference could linked to that?

The "CD-ROM" explanation may be related to further bundle releases of Civ, for example in anniversary editions with Civ 2 (just guessing)

These were two high density 5.25" disks that came in a Civ1 big box. Got it on eBay so I can't be 100% certain on accuracy, but the date modified comes earlier than 474.04 and the disks are permanently read only unless I physically modify them. Also when I update it to 474.05 it shows up as 475.05.

Forgot to mention, the scene release turned out to be 475.01 as well strangely enough and the NFO gave a December 13, 1991 release

Well, what I know for a fact for having delved into CIV.EXE to look especially for it, the code to display the version number is a mess, to say the least.

If you look into the resource files, you'll see 2 files (INTRO.TXT and INTRO3.TXT) that contain hardcoded versions. But actually, there's code in CIV.EXE (v3, v4, v5) to hack just the right bytes in the version number to update it at display time, which made it possible for MPS to release only CIV.EXE, without changing the original INTRO*.TXT, and still display a different version number...
However, in versions 475.*, the "475" is indeed hard-coded in the INTRO.TXT, not hacked by CIV.EXE...

Anyway, a mess.

Top Bottom