ISDG 2012 - Server Announcements, Connection Issues and Questions

Final "warning": Unless I receive more votes I will declare the game a draw tomorrow.

Just wana say that at this point doesn't really matters who wins. It'sdissapointing, but probably stillbetter to end thegame than to continue like this. We still had good times, wecan give good summary ofwhat happened and make assumptions about what would had happened if we played on..

Yeah, it was a great game. And I think it is time to put it to an end. Winners barely matter. I think everyone had his show. And everyone had his lessons. And most of all, we all had thrill, excitement and fun.

We univers civilization want to continue this game until the end. We spent to much time to just throw it away and even though some of you think we have no chance we think that we have our role to fulfill for winning or to chose who will be the winner. Please consider that our Civilization have not made any problem for the progress of the game (if you compare to other civs) so please find at least one representative for each team please. Thank you.

I would love to see the game coming to its natural end, but then we need a substitute for CP. Can we find one?

I understand your frustration, Arabplayer, but I strongly doubt we will be able to find a replacement player for Team CP.

I am officially taking the game down now, but I am willing to restart it later at it's current point if a replacement player for Team CP is found. I suggest that if you want a replacement player for Team CP you should ask around in different forums.

As for winners, there is no clear way to determine a winner or several winners, so my position is that the game is declared a draw. If the teams can't find a replacement player for Team CP, feel free to establish an order of "Best Teams" among yourselves.

I understand your position, Arabplayer. I have spent literally 5-6 hours minimum(!)with each turn. This includes making the moves, micromanaging, diplomatic talks, making reports checking the game status often etc. I know others have played the game similary, but by now Igot frustrated by how some other civs seemingly don't care about it too much. Long pauses or spending 5-10 mins ingame each turn.. You could tell me it's not my buisness to tell how much time someone should spend with the game as long as he plays, but This is not the kind of game I wish to play. (I don't wana go into long details how this could affect the gamebalance, but it has caused several issues and just to be clear I'm talking about many civs not one particular).
By now I got to the point that I lost my interest so much that I rather accept the draw than to go on some other years.. So I personally accept the draw, Iwillask my teamif someone is interested enough to continue..

I don't speak for Mz or Team Apolyton, but personally I don't like the idea of subs from outside of the team. This isn't a regular MP game where players can be swapped in and out. The whole point of this game is to pit the players of one website against another.

It'd be like a team in the Super Bowl has their QB go down, so they bring in a new QB from a defeated team at halftime. Sure, it keeps the game going, but what does the game mean at that point? If it isn't a championship game between the two best teams in the league, then what is it?

Apolyton can find new turn players from within our ranks. If other teams can't, then they shouldn't be rewarded by 'drafting a new QB' from another team. If the game continues (and all of Team Apolyton agree that we should just call this a draw and let it end) then CP (and Maya too imho) should just go AI. Let the living teams fight it out, don't resurrect the dead ones.

Resignation of a civ to AI is obviously not an option as any human player in this skill league will be able to easily steamroll an AI. It will create a major imbalance for the team best positioned to attack it, and will be very unfair to all the other teams.

It is fairer than retiring a team to AI, because one or more players will at least offer proper resistance. I strongly doubt anyone is going to be able to find an entire team for this game though - the turn rate alone is enough to scare most players off, let alone the the prospect of taking over a dying team in a modern war situation.

Personally, while it is a sad ending to such a great game, I think just allowing the game to be a draw is the best option at this point. I can always host another game if people want to play.

Hi there,

We Univers Civilization understand that the game can't continue with team CP's quit (i didn't find a sub neither does anyone apparently).
Considering that for us it is not an option to convert their civ to an AI, we agree to stop the game only if no one will be the winner(s) or loser(s) (we truly believe in our chance to succeed or to be a big impact for the last step).
It will only remains a good memory of this nice and long game.

Since I have been absent from this game for so long I have little right to chime in with my 2 cents at this point, but since that's never stopped me :mischief:...

I was in a similar position that Arabplayer/Univers Civilization was in in a previous MTDG (where I was willing to play to the end and I felt strongly that my team still had a chance to win) so I can empathize or at least sympathize how they feel.

I also agree with Ozzy that letting another player take over from a different team kinda spoils things. But on the other hand such a thing is not without precedent. IIRC, no less illustrious a player than our host (and my former self-styled;) "protege") :bowdown: Caledorn himself once resigned from a team where he was a valued contributing member to take over a doomed team for the sole purpose of keeping the game going.

So in that vein, and in honor of Caledorn's example, to keep the game going, I will say that I am tentatively willing to "fall on that sword" in Caledorn's spirit and take over CP to play the game out ONLY if ALL the other teams agree/are even still interested in continuing. (The teacher becomes the student eh Cal?;))

P.S. - I'm serious when I say I have been absent... So you will probably have to email me at least at first to let me know if I am needed/wanted to take CP over. 2metra and Cal both have my email.

Heya, thanks for the offer, but I think It's better to leave the game now.. really it just have been draged for too long..
As a side note,Apolyton's forums have been opened too a few days ago if someone wana take a look.

Sigh! Every good thing have an end. (Just the sausage have two ends according to the popular German saying). Let me say few words at the final of this epic game.

First of all I want to thank Team CFC as a whole for being challenging, but fantastic and rewarding team to work with and for. And thank you for the faith you had vested in me by electing me team leader and war general.

I want to thank Sommerswerd for being a co-organizer of the game with me, co-captain during it who was always supporting me with actions and words and great friend who always supported me with wise advises.

I want to thank my "best secret weapon" and sharpest most lethal dagger in our arsenal Bistrita, also known as Mackoti, for being brilliant civver, great adviser for the game and being great friend of mine, always supporting me along the road.

I want to thank YossarianLives for being the best gem found in the mud, for his devotion and contribution to his newly joined community and the wonderful job he did as a demographics reader, diplomat and chronologist of our journey.

I want to thank Caledorn for being our iron-fist-in-velvet-glove diplomat and the little hobbit who managed to carry the wight of dealing with the Evil-Never-sleeping-Eye ;)

I want to thank Talonschild, Aivoturso, whb, vranasm and RegentMan for being inseparable part of this team with advises, analyzes and contributing ideas.

Special thanks to CavScout for being the antiutopian and critic voice at times when we were getting idealistic and self- deluded and special thanks to Calis for lurking us so hard and positive :)

I am sure I cant give enough respect and credits to all of the guys who deserve it and I am sure to be missing many worthy of mentioning CFCers. Big thank you guys! :hatsoff:

I will use the opportunity to also ask for forgiveness for every time I disappointed anyone of you or when I failed your trust, even being it not on my purpose. And Maga, sorry girl, I did not literally wanted to see your boobs and sexually objectify you or whatever other thing you could think, it is just an expression. :)
Spoiler :

I want to thank all of our worthy opponents and great sports from the teams (in alphabetical order) Apolyton, Civforum.de, CivFR, CivPlayers, Realms Beyond, Spanish Apolyton, UniversCiv and WePlayCiv. You were great guys and I enjoyed playing against and alongside with you.

I want to thank to Plako for making the map for this game and helping us with administrating it.

And last, but not least I want to thank to my special friend Caledorn, for the exceptional hosting and administrating the game.

Thanks and well done everyone!

Daft (slightly spammy) question. I'm wondering about setting writing a (not production quality) pitboss civ-like strategy game as a class project to my software engineering students next year. If you have thoughts on whats really important in one (e.g., not letting the turn timer drag on) could you PM them to me?

That was a truly moving post, 2metraninja! I, for one, appreciated that post a lot.

I would like to mention that if anyone wishes to plan a similar game, or wish a hosted Pitboss, feel free to contact me. Not this week though, but in a few weeks when my life is a bit more normalised I will be happy to set up and host another game if anyone wants.

Hi everyone.

Congratulation to all of you.
A very enjoying game (even though for univers civilization, all the credits goes to Yuufo, Zioun and Hunter who were our mainly players).
I enjoyed seeing as much players of civ 4 who are also passionate about this game.
Nowadays we, in France, haven't so much left comparing to past years and seeing that our community is still so alive is really exciting.

A big Thank you to every member of any team, to civfanatics especially of course and to Caledorn for hosting this pitboss.

All your efforts for making it happen the best you can with all your good energy and enthousiasm means a lot to our community, congratulation for that.

I hope to see you again guys for another epic game.

Que vive la communautée CIV 4 ! :)

Top Bottom