stNNES IV: Fiddling with the clock...

North King

blech
stNNES IV: Fiddling with the clock...

Yes, this means I'm bored. Again.

Welcome to stNNES, number 4 (I’m aware this is the third number 4 in three months) in the series, and one that will hopefully equal or surpass stNNES 3. Yeah, right. Well, we hope it will, at any rate. I’m repeating myself, sorry.

Now the concept of this NES is actually NOT stolen from Plexus (you won’t believe it after reading the below)... I actually thought up a nearly identical system to what he used for his 5th NES, about a month before his preview thread. Which left me somewhat disquieted. :p

So, essentially, you fill out a neat little template, give me the starting location, and I will come up with the history and timeline up until 1500. Then, we all get the fun playing sequence, get to kill each other, have a lot of fun, etc, etc. First you have to fill out the template and I have to make the basic history. Oh, but this’ll just be a broad description of history, you get to write about the details. Fun, I’m sure.

For once the rules are simpler than the last one in the series, but still changed from what you are used to. :p

Economy

Economy is centered on Income and Expenses.

Income is what you earn, and is thus naturally small and diminutive.

Expenses are what you pay, and thus naturally are massive.

Increase your income by expanding or running some innovative project. Surprise me. I like interesting orders much more than a simple sheet of “Increase blah, increase blah, and invade blah”. Naturally, decreasing expenses is more difficult, you will have to cut back in some area.

You can also bank income to use next turn in addition to the income you receive then.

You can also run a debt, with an interest of 10%. Outrageous, yes. Still helps you sometimes. :p

Trade occurs everywhere, and is part of your income. However, you can officially set up a trade route in your orders and this will vastly increase your income (or not, depending on what you are trading).

Military

The fun part, I’m sure. Usually also the longest part in your orders. Though that’s not necessarily a good thing, because this is not the only area to be innovative.

Ok, without further adieu (proofreading this, I realize that I used the wrong ado. Those who notice this are actually reading the rule, which is nice).

Military comes in numbers. The main divisions are the Army, Navy, and muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch later the air farce. Er, force.

You usually recruit these with income. But there’s a new, cool catch. Well, I hope it’s cool, but in reality it’s just likely to frustrate you.

Manpower is now a game concept. Basically, for every _____ amount of people you have (yet to be determined, and will vary with age), you can recruit 1 income’s worth of people per turn. This makes it difficult for smaller nations to have a huge army. This increases with population, and decreases with it, too, naturally.

BUT, there is another, nicer thing. If you are a rich small nation (or simply a ridiculously wealthy large nation), you can invest your income into a better trained and equipped military force. Essentially, I’m lumping this under one category. Better trained/equipped military forces will have (a) star(s) next to them, and you can get them through two ways. You can either purchase them with these at the unit’s creation (this will cost more money. I’m going to go simplistic here, though, so for that purpose I will say that you must pay twice the normal cost for the same number of * units, and triple the cost for the same number of **’s).

Oh, and military costs upkeep. It will be listed under expenses, don’t worry. :p

Oh, yeah. UU’s. Just tell me what they are and I’ll add them to the troop listing.

That’s basically it. Look at one of the posts that will be in the thread for how much these will cost. :p

Education

Education is a constant expense, after all, you really can’t just pay for one generation and expect it to carry over to the next.

The more you invest into education, the faster your discoveries will come and the faster technology diffuses into the populace.

Religion

This is one of the pillars of civilization. People will live for it. Die for it. Kill for it. It is a powerful tool to control the masses, and an excellent area to muscle out your creativity.

You start with basic animistic principles. Or you can immediately change it to another religion. Religions can be based on real life religions, of course, or, if you want to be creative, you can create your own. Of course, a religion of your own isn’t just as simple as inventing a word for it. You ought to write a lot about it and the belief systems if you want it to be at all decently able to resist invaders. Remember that you can send missionaries in your orders to convert others in your orders.

Culture

Culture quite simply refers to the power of your culture, or to put it differently, how likely your culture is to appear better or more desirable than another culture. A big part of this is Religion.

Levels: Barbarian, Very Little, Little, Weak, Poor, Decent, Good Enough, Fine, Excellent, Superb.

Governments:

Self explanatory. If you want something bigger or better than the usual, then make it up. Keep it with the times, no Communism in Bronze Age.

Projects:

These are essentially either projects by the government, intellectual developments, or physical buildings. You describe what it is, and what it does for you. I decide how much in the way of income you’ll need to invest. Typical projects might go like:

[name] [effects] [income invested/needed]
The Ginormous Tower of Hastily Cemented Pebbles: (+1000 Swordsmen, +5 culture) (3/6)

That’s it. Have fun. :)

Now, I’m sure you can figure out the below.

Template [delete all bracketed text when you fill it out]

Nation Name:

Start Location: [where you start]

Core Area: [these are areas your people consider to be rightfully part of your nation (keep it reasonable)]

Traits: [for each trait, you say where you want the slider positioned. If you want it closest to the trait next to the 1, put a 1. If you want on the other end, a 5. In the middle? 3. Simple enough]

Isolationist (1)-Expansionist (5):
Pacifist (1)-Militaristic (5):
Army (1)-Navy (5):
Agricultural (1)-Merchantile (5):
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5):
Secular (1)-Religious (5):
Populist (1)-Aristocratic (5):

Description: [A short description of your nation. Put anything you want here, their culture, foods, military structure, etc. For example if you want Roman legion type troops, say that that type of troop is their specialty. Or something else. Etc.]

Which will eventually result in this Moderator Template:
AKA DON'T FILL THIS OUT THIS IS FOR ME AND ME ALONE YOU WANT THE THING ABOUT THREE LINES ABOVE THIS!
Nation Name
Ruler/Player:
Government:
Religion: Animism
Income: 5
Expenses: 3 (-2 Military, -1 Education).
Profit: 2
Manpower: 5
Army:
Navy:
Unique Unit(s): None
Education: 1
Culture: Barbarian
Projects: None

Any questions, just ask!

Post away!
I hope there isn’t a red CFC style.

:mischief:

PC Stats:

Akkadia
Ruler/Player: ?/blackheart
Government: Caste Republic
Religion: 81% Copticism, 8% Nestorianism, 3% Polytheism
Income: 10
Expenses: 3
Profit: 7
Military Support: 19/23
Army: 500,000 melee infantry*, 100,000 gunpowder infantry*, 50,000 cavalry**, 50 cannons
Navy: 200 gunpowder galleys
Unique Unit(s):
Education: 3
Culture: Fine
Description: Spared the brunt of the collapse, the massive Akkadian empire managed to continue a policy of all around expansion even through the troubled times. The only truly dangerous time came during the sudden growth of the new religion of Copticism and the popular revolution that overthrew the Pharaoh and made a new, strong republic in its place.

Crimean Empire
Ruler/Player: ?/Capulet
Government: Republic
Religion: 60% Steppe Polytheism, 20% Nestorianism, 12% Coptic, 7% Polytheism
Military Support: 10/17
Army: 150,000 Melee infantry*, 100,000 gunpowder infantry*, 25,000 cavalry**, 50 cannons
Navy: 150 gunpowder galleys
Description: A nation that expanded perhaps a bit too far, Crimea fell prey to it’s own internal disputes... and a steppe invasion. With the nomads sweeping over their lands constantly for near years, the Crimeans finally managed to drive them out at the end of the Collapse. Gradually, they reformed their policies and managed to re-form their empire. Now it stands poised to be master of East Europe.

Kingdom of England
Ruler/Player: ?/emu
Government: Monarchy
Religion: 85% Polytheism, 10% Nestorianism, 4% Copticism
Income: 8
Expenses: 2
Profit: 6
Military Support: 9/13
Army: 150,000 melee infantry**, 50,000 gunpowder infantry*, 25,000 cavalry**
Navy: 80 gunpowder ships*
Unique Unit(s):
Education: 2
Description: An isolated nation, it has only recently begun to come into the modern world, but it has strong promise, especially as its king is king of Scotland as well.

Gaul
Ruler/Player: ?/conehead234
Government: Feudal Constitutional Monarchy
Religion: 66% Copticism, 23% Nestorianism, 10% Polytheism
Income: 12
Profit: 9
Military Support: 9/17
Army: 150,000 melee infantry**, 50,000 gunpowder infantry*, 50,000 cavalry**, 50 cannon
Navy: 100 gunpowder galleys
Description: A powerful, militarily capable nation, it holds grudges against Rome, Tartessos, and the Teutonic Order. It is also an odd combination of governments, with feudal estates sending elected representatives to meet with the king to decide affairs.

Maghreb
Ruler/Player: ?/tossi
Government: Merchant Republic
Religion: 55% Arrakhists, 20% Copticism, 15% Nestorianism, 9% Polytheistic
Income: 11
Profit: 8
Military Support: 10/13
Army: 100,000 melee infantry**, 50,000 gunpowder infantry*, 75,000 cavalry, 50 cannon
Navy: 100 gunpowder galleys, 40 gunpowder ships
Description:

Clan of the White Wolf (Mongols)
Ruler/Player: ?/Contempt
Government: Parliamentary Monarchy
Religion: 40% Coptic, 40% Nestorianism, 6% Polytheistic
Income: 6
Expenses: 1
Profit: 5
Military Support: 9/10
Army: 100,000 melee infantry*, 150,000 cavalry***, 50 bombards
Navy: None
Unique Unit(s):
Education: 1
Description: A nation born on the steppe, living on the steppe, and doing little that is not on the steppe. They have managed to defeat most of their adversaries, and their greatest threats in the Toba, the Tibetans, and the Turks, have all been reduced to a shadow.

Rhodes
Ruler/Player: ?/Jason the King
Government: Centralized Republic
Religion: 60% Nestorianism, 17% Copticism, 13% Baalism, 9% Hellenic Polytheism
Income: 15
Expenses: 4
Profit: 11
Military Support: 15/15
Army: 50,000 melee infantry**, 50,000 gunpowder infantry**, 25,000 cavalry**, 50 artillery*
Navy: 100 cannon ships***, 300 gunpowder galleys***
Education: 4
Description: Rhodes is the crown jewel of the Mediterranean, a blossoming paradise of great proportions. It maintains a medium army with excellent training, and a superbly trained fleet that is one of the largest in the world. Syria is still it’s traditional enemy, as is Akkadia.

Rome
Ruler/Player: ?/Fantasmo
Religion: 40% Coptic, 40% Nestorianism, 19% Polytheistic
Income: 11
Military Support: 10/17
Army: 150,000 melee infantry***, 50,000 gunpowder infantry*, 50,000 cavalry**, 50 cannon
Navy: 250 gunpowder galleys*
Description: Rome would be best described in it’s current state as a badly mixed half and half... It is torn directly down the middle by religion, and it’s days of empire are long gone. It still retains its elite core of Roman Legionaries, but these have been slow to modernize. An empire in stagnation...

Syria
Ruler/Player: ?/das
Government: DVINIE Parliamentary Monarchy
Religion: 70% Baalism, 20% Nestorianism, 9% Polytheistic
Military Support: 14/17
Army: 150,000 melee infantry**, 100,000 gunpowder infantry**, 100,000 cavalry***, 50 bombards
Navy: 150 gunpowder galleys*
Unique Unit(s):
Description: A nation of religious fanatics, Syria is fiercely protective of their own borders, and eager to expand them while they’re at it. Recent wars include ones with the reconquered Armenia, Babylon, Rhodes, Akkadia, and Crimea. The Syrians have never been truly great, but now might be their chance...

Sirivajaya
Ruler/Player:
Government: Divine Empire
Religion: 97% Hindu, 3% Buddist
Military Support: 16/16
Army: 150,000 melee infantry**, 100,000 gunpowder infantry**, 25,000 cavalry**
Navy: 200 cannon ships**
Culture: Good
Description: A strong sea power, they got a nice and good economy but it's the navy that is their pride. One of Asias biggest navies. Their army is small but well trained and experienced, no one would get an easy fight here.

Tanah Melayu
Ruler/Player: ?/BananaLee
Government: Centralized Aristocratic Republic
Religion: 56% Hindu
Income: 13
Profit: 10
Military Support: 13/15
Army: 100,000 melee infantry*, 50,000 gunpowder infantry*, 25,000 cavalry*, 50 artillery*
Navy: 160 cannon ships***
Description: Based around Malacca, Tanah Malayu is a large, rich state, poised to become the master of the Indian ocean. Well, not quite master, since there are so many others lying around, but you get the drift. No real enemies or allies.

Tartessos
Ruler/Player: ?/Xen
Government: Republic
Religion: 65% Tartessian Copticism, 25% Orthodox Copticism, 9% Nestorianism
Military Support: 13/17
Army: 100,000 melee infantry**, 150,000 gunpowder infantry (“teal coats”)**, 50,000 cavalry**, 50 cannons
Navy: 100 gunpowder galleys**, 60 gunpowder ships**
Unique Unit(s):
Description: Tartessos has not known war since almost the Collapse, though they did have a few minor skirmishes of course for a long period. However, the last few decades have been at peace, and the land is prospering. Most Hispanians in the empire are also rabidly nationalist, though the Basques and Moors feel a bit maltreated...

Teutonic Order
Ruler/Player: ?/Azale
Religion: 70% Nestorianism, 23% Coptic, 6% Polytheistic
Income: 9
Profit: 6
Military Support: 9/18
Army: 100,000 melee infantry*, 150,000 gunpowder infantry*, 50,000 cavalry**, 50 cannon
Navy: 50 gunpowder galleys
Unique Unit(s):
Description: A fierce nation that has recently just emerged from a time of terrible hardship, they have rebuilt their empire from the ashes. As a result, their economy seems somewhat small when compared to the true giants, but their army is fiercely loyal, motivated by religious fervor, and many carry the latest technologies.

Travancore
Ruler/Player:
Religion: 78% Hindu 17% Budhism, 5% other
Expenses: 5
Profit: 10
Military Support: 21/20 (-1 support costs)
Army: 100,000 melee infantry*, 200,000 gunpowder infantry**, 50,000 cavalry*, 50 artillery
Navy: 240 cannon ships**
Culture: Good Enough
Description: Perhaps the strongest naval power in the Indian Ocean, it is a very rich nation, and powerful on land as well, with much of the latest modern weaponry.

Vikingland
Ruler/Player: ?/Heine
Government: Monarchy
Religion: 45% Norse Polytheism, 29% Nestorianism, 25% Copticism
Profit: 9
Military Support: 11/16
Army: 150,000 melee infantry**, 50,000 gunpowder infantry*, 25,000 cavalry*, 50 cannon
Navy: 100 gunpowder galleys**, 60 gunpowder ships**
Description: A strong nation based heavily on military strength, it is highly centralized under the king, very religious, and a major power, at least in the northern circles.

Wu
Ruler/Player: ?/alex994
Religion: 67% Confucism, 23% Buddhism, 9% Daoism
Profit: 11
Military Support: 23/25
Army: 500,000 melee infantry*, 150,000 gunpowder infantry*, 75,000 cavalry**, 100 cannon
Navy: 100 cannon ships*
Description: The Chinese superstate, it has been booming recently, with a massive economy, and a tremendous army. Unfortunately, the Mongols loom, and Toba Wei is not that friendly. Neither is Japan, or Korea, or Tibet...

Alalal
Ruler/Player: ?/
Government:
Religion:
Income:
Profit:
Military Support: /
Army:
Navy:
Description:

NPC Stats:

Mediterrenean

Northern Europe

Middle East

India

Steppes

China

Australiasian areas

Central Africa

Subsaharan Africa

Oceania

What the point of this is I'm not sure, so I should probably stop. Maybe one more... Nah. You can post.

Wu

Suzhou south of the Yangtze river by a little bit

Core Area: the Yangtze River and the lands it borders

Isolationist (1)-Expansionist (5): 4
Pacifist (1)-Militaristic (5): 3
Army (1)-Navy (5): 1
Agricultural (1)-Merchantile (5): 3
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5): 5
Secular (1)-Religious (5): 2
Populist (1)-Aristocratic (5): 3

First post....

Welcome, monsuier China.

Oh, by the way, I'm going to like do "mini updates preceding the first update. Like show you the map at 1 AD, 1000 AD, and then have the update 0. During these mini updates, you can write a little bit on your nation to help it along, or tell me to expand in a specific direction.

well north, after your last killing of an NES, I felt like I couldn't bring myself to join another one.

But what the hell.

Template

Nation Name: Republic of Rhodes

Start Location: Rhodes, Greece

Core Area: Colonies spread across the Mediteranean, but the homeland is centered around Rhodes, Crete, the Aegean Islands, Anatolia, and Cyprus.

Traits:

Isolationist (1)-Expansionist (5): 5
Pacifist (1)-Militaristic (5): 3
Army (1)-Navy (5): 4
Agricultural (1)-Merchantile (5): 5
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5): 3
Populist (1)-Aristocratic (5): 2

Description: Rhodes began as a small culture among the home island. However, as trade began to increase, so did the wealth of the kingdom. Soon, conquests of outlands brough Anatolia, Crete, and Cyprus into the mix. As trade continued to grow, a republic form of government was wanted, and so, with permission of the King, a Senate was formed. Gradually the power of the king faded, until it was weak enough for the Senate to abolish the King altogether.

Now, Rhodes stretches across the seas. Administrating the new provinces are hired indigineous peoples who have sworn an oath to the Senate, and who are paid rather well, more then they would make should they depart from Rhodes. A core main army is kept, and being highly trained because of its rather small size. However, the pride of the Rhodesian military is the navy, and its mighty fleet of corsair ships that outmatches any other navy in the sea, almost twice over.

Nation Name: Tanah Melayu

Start Location: Melaka

Core Area: The Malayan Peninsula, parts of Sumatra, and the Riau islands are under direct rule - with the west coast of Borneo and the Spice Islands owing suzerainty. (I'm assuming this is as of 1500 and if you need a map, tell me)

Traits:
Pacifist (1)-Militaristic (5): 4
Army (1)-Navy (5): 4
Agricultural (1)-Merchantile (5): 4
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5): 3

Description:
The Melayu (or Malay) are the race of people who inhabit the Malay Peninsula and portions of adjacent islands of Southeast Asia, including the east coast of Sumatra, the coast of Borneo, and smaller islands that lie between these areas.

Anthropologists trace the home of the Malay race to the northwestern part of Yunnan, in China. These tribal proto-Malays, or Jakun, were a seafaring people who expanded into Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula as a result of their trading and seafaring way of life. These sea-tribes played a major part in the making of the great Malay empires of Malacca and Johor.

Much of the Malay's past history is smothered in legend and most of the it is covered in a book entitled Sejarah Melayu (the Malay Annals), which is the earliest written record of the Malays. Attributed to Tun Seri Lanang, the work was commisioned by Sultan Alauddin Ri'ayat Shah in 1494 and chronicles the establishment of the Melaka kingdom. Sejarah Melayu charts a course spanning more than 500 years in a solid, compact book filled with intricate details regarding royal protocol, royal lineages - weaving in various historical, mythical and legendary figures and episodes in a compendium that still captivates its audiences in the present day.

Not historically connected, the collection of stories focuses on the activities of the Malay sultans, their ancestors, their courts, government officials, allies and enemies. Certainly, foreign rulers were also described, as were Melaka's foreign relations and its importance as a regional trading centre.

Geographically, the Malay Peninsula was at a disadvantage for the dawn of civilisation. It lacked broad, extensive, fertile plains and were unable to support the pattern of densely populated civilisations which flourished elsewhere and because of that, many small states (some sources record 147!) rose and fell during the 1st milleniums BC and AD - none of them acheving lasting superiority over the other. This period, dubbed Zaman Jahiliyah, or Dark Age, by Sejarah Melayu was ironically the time during which the greatest ferment of the Malay intellect occurred. The philosophies, political and cultural patterns - from the concept of daulat to their martial social structure - still governs the modern-day Malay as it did for those in the Jahiliyah period. While no complete writings survive from this period, archaeological findings and fragments of books tell the story of great intellecutual development during this time.

Many of the small, bickering states on the Peninsula had also acted as regional trading centres between the west (India and Arabia) and the east (China), a situation which continued - albeit in an evolved form - up to the modern day.

I just wrote a bit to introduce what the Malays are and what they are doing between 0 and 1000 AD. If you want me to continue on about 1000 - 1500 right now (instead of at mini-update), let me know.

p/S: Please make the mini-updates weekly, or I won't be able to keep up.. Hehe

Babylonia

Start Location: Messopotamia, real life location of Babylon

Core Area: Messopotamia, the area around the two rivers

Pacifist (1)-Militaristic (5): 4
Agricultural (1)-Merchantile (5): 2
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5): 4
Secular (1)-Religious (5): 4
Populist (1)-Aristocratic (5): 4

Description: Babylonia is one of ancient centers of civilization. It is there that the first cities were build, first artisans appeared, arid land became irrigated. Now Babylons are after enlightening the region. {not very good, I'll add stuff later....maybe]

Great job with the setup NK! :D Really glad to be here

*sigh* NK, ive basically got the same feeling as Jason does, but I just love this idea so much Ive gotta try it again.

Nation Name: The Teutonic Order

Start Location: Lithuania

Core Area: Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Northern Poland, and most of Germany

Traits:

Pacifist (1)-Militaristic (5): 5
Army (1)-Navy (5): 2
Secular (1)-Religious (5): 4

Description: A country bore by the meeting of a council of warriors, who to protect thier lands from the Eastern Barbarians decided upon a Teutonic Order to stave off any invaders. It is ruled by a council of generals who have shown to be gifted in both military and diplomatic skill. The order has a expansionist policy as they feel whatever they can capture is rightfully theres, and they like to capture alot of things. The coast probably lends more to them being merchantile with the nations of Scandinavia and whatnot, but the wide North European plain cannot be ignored and thus farms are a must. Using religion (probably Christianity later on NK) as a main driving force for thier very centralized nation, secularism is almost non-existent.
The Order can in some ways be likened to Sparta, but without the crazy pratices that ended up severely limiting Spartan manpower. The Order allows for almost anyone to enter the military, and at the age of 19 every Tuetonic man is required to take 6 months of military training. The naval forces are somewhat important, but mainly as a tool to protect Tuetonic interests in the Baltic and around its coasts.
Aristocrats still exist, but they are usually former war heroes or close relatives of such. Therefore, its a little more split down the middle than what European societies developed into later in RL history.
A good UU would the Warrior of the Order (Ancient), and the Tuetonic Knight (which could be used as a knight in midieval, cavalry in industrial, and tank in modern).

Nation Name: Kingdom of Rome

Start Location: Err...ROME type area.

Core Area: Italy!

Traits:

Army (1)-Navy (5): 3
Secular (1)-Religious (5): 5

Description: Okay, imagine Rome. Now imagine fantasmo's behaviour. Add a dash of religion. Now you have this kingdom. Congrats, that's my description. (P.S. We like curry, and we use Roman Legion-type troop guys.)

I thought, frankly, it was obvious why I killed the last one... Too complex, and I kept trying to make it interesting and people quit anyway, which rather dissapointed me. Also, I thought I was being a tyrant in keeping it waaaay too close to real history; that won't happen here. This is a nice little free for all... ;)

Cause Alex is starting as China once more...

Nation Name: Clan of the White Wolf
Start Location: South of the Bakal Sea, surrounded by many other barbaric Tartar and "Mongolian" tribes.
Core Area: The World. No, seriously. We consider ourselves to be the rightful rulers of the World.
Traits:

Agricultural (1)-Merchantile (5): 1
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5): 1
Populist (1)-Aristocratic (5): 5

Backround:

Born from the myths and legends surrounding the creation of man, and the World, the tribe of the Wolf roams the steppes in search of battle to prove their existance, and to honor their God. The tribe's primary myth is that of the Wolf and the Deer spirts were sent to the Earth by Koeke Moengke Tengri, and from them was born the first Human, Batachikhan.

The Tribe of the Wolf's leader, called the Khan, is believed to by directly descended from this line, and thus are believed to be more in touch with Tengri and the old spirts of the World. Thus, he is both the Shaman, and the military leader at all times.

The Clan is an herding society, moving where ever their cattle and horses take them. In general, the Clan is several, around 10-12 tribes, wandering the central Steppes south of the Bakal sea. That central area is seen as their core land, and other tribes and clans respect that and do not wander into deep for fear of retribuation by the power Khans of the Clan.

While they hold this core area, the Clan does not believe that it is all the land they deserve. With the belief that they are descended from the first Human, the Khans and their people have grown extremely arrogant, believing themselves to be the rulers of the World. Of all the World.

With this arrogance comes a certain drive towards constant war, constant battle, to constantly expand, constantly conquer. It is custom for the Clan of the White Wolf to fight many wars, and in times of peace, there were times when the country descended into cival war. But, to allivate the problem of the cival wars, a tradiation was started for each tribe to have something called a "battle circle", where young Clan members would fight hand to hand, with swords, what ever, but never to the death. Every year, the Champions of each camp's Battle Circle's would fight for the Khan in a massive dueling campionship for the right to become the Khan's generals and bodyguards.

With this focus on war, many of the things young Clan members are taught are how to shoot a bow, how to fight in hand to hand combat, what ways are the best to handle a sword. Tactics, equipment upkeep, food gathering, hunting, proper tracking techniques...All things related to battle, to war. However, to keep the Clan from being destoryed by infighting, and unworthy battles between fueding families and young boys, the Clan has developed an honor system that keeps the killing of Clan members by Clan members to a minimum.

Duels develop into a way to solve specific disputes, with differing degrees of lethality based on the offense. Whoever wins, is right, because Might equals right. If you are strong enough to best another in a duel, than you are right. Most disputes end without death, although a little blood might be split that day. Most duels were fought with Wooden Swords, (or wooden weapon of choice. If the duel was through archery, than it was whoever was the best shot, etc...etc...)

With all the focus on war, and the herding culture of the Clan, it is inevitable that the horses that were herded would be intergrated into battle. The most powerful warriors were those that could fight on a Horse, since it showed the warriors strength in battle, and his skill in riding the horse at the same time. There were duels on Horseback using wooden lances with a padded tip, Horse Archery duels for the truly skillful.

In a culture of Warriors, there were some that needed to become the herders, the cooks, the healers. With the men so focused on war, the Woman became the primary healers and cooks. They took care of the tents, the children. They were skilled enough at war to teach the young boys until they were able to be taught by their fathers. They cooked for their husbands, and were skilled healers also. Woman were not looked down upon at all in this culture. For their duties, the men were thankful that their woman could tend to their wounds, their children, their tents.

Summary:

*Khan is supreme religous and Military Ruler
*Clan of the Wolf believe themselves to be descended from the first Human
*Scattered Tribes make up the Clan of the White Wolf in the central area south of the Bakal Sea
*Believe themselves to be the rightful rulers of the World
*Constant Warfare refines the culture to that of battle, and battle is then aqquited with battle.
*The Battle Circle allows the Khan to pick up the best of the best of the Clan to become his generals.
*All young clan members taught how to fight very young
*Duels replace cival wars and personal disputes as a means to settle differences
*Horse Archery and Horse warfare become a large part of the culture. (As well as Lancing ;) )
*Women are respected for teaching and healing in the tribes.

@NK- check your PMs please; I have a question before I join (if I join)

Good idea, will we be able to influence our history in ANY WAY AT ALL? Also, you mean 1500 AD or BC? Also, what religions can we expect to appear?

And I know that feel, NK. Which is why all my NESes thus far were alternate history ones. ;)

P.S. I hope you will do better then Plexus with this one. You better! Also, I suggest that you make the updates shorter, to the point, and, last but far from least, QUICKER. Now, while your updates make for excellent reading, I really do think I'd much rather have those updates happen more often rather then them being longer and more detailed.

Dear Person Who Took A Nation In The Area Where I Wanted To Place My Nation,
I wasted a lot of time writing this up. So, if you exist, I think you will either get another nation, or you will cease to exist.

IC:

Template

Nation Name: (hey, you forgot a comment here! Some people might not understand the concept! :p ) Syria

Start Location: Syria (ITTL it includes Lebanon and northern parts of Israel and Jordan, approximately, but ofcourse the starting locationg does NOT include the northern half of Syria)

Core Area: current lands, Mesopatamia, Cilicia, remainders of Israel and Jordan

Traits:

Army (1)-Navy (5): 2
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5): 4

Description:

Built by warlike nomads coming from the depths of Arabia, Syria nonetheless inherited a lot from the Phoenicean city-states it conquered (some althistorians think that perhaps Phoeniceans COULD have built an impressive maritime empire if not for the Syrians. Yeah, right, and they'd invade Italy with eliphants from across the Alps too...). Thus, the Syrian-Arabian ideas (the God Emperor cult, the military-oriented caste system, the slave armies, the circumsion, etc) were mixed with the Phoenicean ones (human sacrifice, "many-faced Baal", maritime commerce, etc) to give the final product.

Syria is ruled by a "baal-maluk" ("God Emperor") - he is one of the many faces of the One God, Baal, and thus is the Baal as well as the ruler of Syria - any crime against him is a crime against state AND religion (and when a rebellion/coup/whatever succeeds, it is always found out that this was a FAKE baal-maluk, and that whoever overthrew him is the real one). When a ruler dies, normaly he is succeeded by a chosen succesor (who is promptly transformed into baal-maluk from a mere mortal. Duh.), usually from his close following, but when that was not achieved due to a premature death, the ro-narik-mahlam ("High War Priest") makes the choice.

Syria is divided into castes (there are also sub-castes of Priesthood). The major castes are (in rising order) the avodom (Slavehood - but only the working one, the slave warriors are outside of the ordinary caste system and their status was traditionally a subject of great debate but most agree them to be "unfree warriors"), the asedom (Workhood - peasants, craftsmen), the penidom (Merchanthood - called so for the "peni", Phoenicians), the narikdom (Priesthood, more on it later), the mahladom (Warriorhood, does not include generals) and the roshedom (Generalhood, the military aristocracy that is, technically, on top). The God Emperor is, ofcourse, outside of the Caste System.

Now, about the Priesthood, it can be divided into the asenarikdom (Ordinary Priesthood) and the mahlanarikdom (Military Priesthood). Whilst the members of the former are between Merchants and Warriors, the members of the latter, along with the members of the roshedom, form the "elite" of the Syrian society.

Incidentally, the castes ARE interchangeable. The easiest one is with priests and warriors - for great accomplishments in their fields (of preaching, education and in some cases local administration), the priests of the Ordinary Priesthood can be "promoted" to Military, whilst the warriors could become generals. However, if somehow a slave, a merchant or a worker performs great deeds of bravery on the battlefield (suppose a slave mine is attacked by the enemies and a slave warns the other ones and organizes their stand) or otherwise helps the empire greatly (a merchant steals the designs for an enemy ship), he can be "promoted" to the next level if the Emperor, a Military Priest or a General sees his deeds to be sufficient. This devious system often served Syria well in time of need.

The High Military Priest and the High General are appointed by the God-Emperor personally from amongst the Military Priesthood and Generalhood. Also, 50 Generals and 50 Military Priests are decided by the God-Emperor and the High General/Military Priest (respectively) to form the divan, an imperial council that assists the God Emperor. Other Generals, Military Priests and (on low level) Ordinary Priests are involved in buerocracy and administration, and the Generals also command the armies and the fleets (obvious!).

The Slave Warriors are picked when they are very young, usually from conquered peoples or as tribute, and are trained in iron loyalty to the God Emperor. They form the elite of the Syrian army. Syrian army places a heavy emphasis on cavalry and camelry, and the Slave Warriors (mahla-asedim) tend to be camel-riders.

Whilst the land military is the pride of Syria, the sea is also important. Here, excluding Baalism, the Phoenician influence is the best-seen. Both maritime commerce and naval military (sailors are considered Warriors, but rowers are Slaves) were copied from the Phoenicians, and indeed, it is the people of Phoenician descent who tend to wind up as the richest merchants and the most important Sea Generals.

The women, as in most of OTL Middle Eastern nations of the time, don't play a significant role.

Human sacrifice is not very widespread, but in time of trouble, the God-Emperor, to grow his strenght and to thusly empower his warriors, will personally perform a human sacrifice or two. Technically, there's barely a reason left for human sacrifice after the new Syrian God Emperor cult consolidated itself, so the old Phoenician practice largely died out.

Syria is often rightfully feared by its neighbhors. Because do consider - it is VERY Militaristic AND VERY Religious AND their religion is a military one. Now that's a warmongering combination, ain't it? And they're quite expansionist, too...

National food is pita (ask erez what that is, don't have time to explain), national sport is WAR!!!!!!!!! (ask stalin006 what that is, don't have time to explain ;) ).

(Want any more info?)

Yay! Noone beat me to it!

Nation Name:The Crimean Empire

Start Location: Crimean Peninsula

Core Area: Crimean Peninsula, Ukraine, the Caucus

Traits:

Pacifist (1)-Militaristic (5):5
Army (1)-Navy (5):3
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5):4
Secular (1)-Religious (5):1
Populist (1)-Aristocratic (5):1

Description: Two hundred years ago, a group of three hundred or so scientists, philsophers, and poets fled Greece in search for a new place to create an intellctual society. They arrived in Crimea...

Nation Name: Akkadia
Start Location: Egypt
Core Area: Middle Ease
Traits:

Isolationist (1)-Expansionist (5): 3
Pacifist (1)-Militaristic (5):3
Army (1)-Navy (5):2
Decentralized (1)-Centralized (5):5
Secular (1)-Religious (5):5
Populist (1)-Aristocratic (5):5

Background: Out of the sands of the desert the once-thought extinct Akkadians have risen. They have risen and conquered the lands of the Nile. Akkadians are now the Pharoahs of the Nile and ruler of all who live there. With the conquest of Egyptians, the Akkadians have almost entirely assimilated Egyptian culture and there is only a slight difference between the two.

Top Bottom