Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, people. Leoreth is usually diligent about checking the forum and I enjoy the mod, and I am more accustomed to faster updates from him. This month-long absence was shocking to me. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I also didn't wish to come off as "entitled" even though I did. I should have phrased my post better, and I hope this doesn't look as naive as it probably does.

I think the next update is going to take some time because Leoreth's merging in K-Mod which is a large amount of work. Couple that with RL and possibly some holiday time (do they do that in Germany?) and thus we must be patient.

Sorry, people. Leoreth is usually diligent about checking the forum and I enjoy the mod, and I am more accustomed to faster updates from him. This month-long absence was shocking to me. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I also didn't wish to come off as "entitled" even though I did. I should have phrased my post better, and I hope this doesn't look as naive as it probably does.

Leoreth still posts almost every day on these forums. In fact, his last 300 posts were done within last 30 days, but they all concerned with Twinkies, Politics, Philosophy and some kind of General Philosophical Psychology of Politics :p. I am not sure if he responds to PMs about his mod, but clearly he is taking some time off from modding. Little "away" notice posted here a month ago is the only thing we could possible ask for in this situation ;)

I just want to ask; what is K-Mod?

Basically a complete overhaul of the original civ functions. Smarter AIs, global warming more realistic, and it's faster :). It will just take DoC that much further from the mod it is. I, for one, really can't wait for Leoreth to finish. Based on what I hear, it will just make the game so much more realistic and, possibly, more challenging.

Since I'm modding DOC, how do you transfer the scenarios from Vanilla DOC to my mod?

Copy the PublicMaps to your mod.

Then, open them with a text editor.
You'll see this:
Code:
BeginGame 		
	Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT 		
	Option=GAMEOPTION_AGGRESSIVE_AI		
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_TECH_BROKERING	
	GameTurn=181 		
	StartYear=-3000 		
	Description=TXT_KEY_RHYES_WB_DESC
	ModPath=Mods\[COLOR="Blue"]RFC Dawn of Civilization[/COLOR]
EndGame

Change the blue part to the name of your mod and you're done.

Wow, thats simple. Thanks!

I've made a few changes to the mod, and I've changed the scenario to my mod, but now whenever I start the scenarios as any civ, it says You Have Been Defeated and lets me go back to the main menu. What is this madness? Also, I can't access the hall of fame or the Civilopedia from the main screen.

I am curious, what are you trying to do?

Would it not be easier if this is going to be a mod individual to yourself to have two set-ups, both for "RFC Dawn of Civilization," but change the name for whichever you are using.

I've made a few changes to the mod, and I've changed the scenario to my mod, but now whenever I start the scenarios as any civ, it says You Have Been Defeated and lets me go back to the main menu. What is this madness? Also, I can't access the hall of fame or the Civilopedia from the main screen.

That madness is something you did. It happen because of your changes. When you are coding things, there is always a possibility that something goes wrong. Don't blame the mod for things you did.

Probably a python thing. I had the same problems with my modcomps.
The "You have been defeated" can be several things. It can even be as lame as just forgetting a .
Enable the python exeptions. That will help you finding the bug.

The civilopedia bug might be this. Did you add extra units/buildings or something else? Look at the example from my modcomp.
Code:
# initialise unit variables to unit indices from XML

iNumUnits = [COLOR="Red"]184[/COLOR] #[COLOR="Lime"]145+39[/COLOR]
(iLion, iBear, iPanther, iWolf, iSettler, iWorker, iIndianFastWorker, iScout, iExplorer, iSpy, iJewishMissionary,
iChristianMissionary, iOrthodoxMissionary, iIslamicMissionary, iHinduMissionary, iBuddhistMissionary, iConfucianMissionary, iTaoistMissionary,
iZoroastrianMissionary, iWarrior, iIncanQuechua, iHarappanMilitia, iSwordsman, iAztecJaguar, iCelticGallicWarrior, iRomePraetorian,
iAxeman, iGreekPhalanx, iSumerianVulture, iNativeAmericaDogSoldier, iMaceman, iJapanSamurai, iVikingBerserker, iIranianQizilbash, iKongoPombos, 
iSpearman, iZuluImpi, iMayaHolkan, iPikeman, iHolyRomanLandsknecht, iMusketman, iFrenchMusketeer, iOttomanJanissary,
iEthiopianOromoWarrior, iIroquoisMohawk, iRifleman, iEnglishRedcoat, iGrenadier, iAtInfantry, iInfantry, iSamInfantry, iMobileSam,
iMarine, iAmericanNavySeal, iParatrooper, iMechanizedInfantry, iArcher, iMaliSkirmisher, iBabylonBowman, iNubianMedjay, iLongbowman,
iCrossbowman, iChinaChokonu, iChariot, iEgyptWarChariot, iCelticCidainh, iHittiteHuluganni, iPersiaImmortal, iHorseArcher, iCarthageNumidianCavalry, iKushanAsvaka,
iMongolKeshik, iTibetanKhampa, iKnight, iArabiaCamelarcher, iByzantineCataphract, iSeljukGhulamWarrior, iThaiChangSuek, iMandeFarari, iSpanishConquistador, 
iCuirassier,  iMoorishCamelGunner, iPolishWingedHussar, iSiouxMountedBrave, iCavalry, iRussiaCossack, iWarElephant, iKhmerBallistaElephant, 
iCarthaginianWarElephant, iTank, iGermanPanzer, iModernArmor, iGunship, iCatapult, iKoreanHwacha, iTrebuchet, iBombard, iMughalSiegeElephant,
iCannon, iFrenchHeavyCannon, iMachineGun, iArtillery, iMobileArtillery, iWorkboat, iGalley, iTrireme, iCaravel, iPortugalCarrack, iTamilDharani,
iGalleon, iNetherlandsOostindievaarder, iPrivateer, iIndonesianOrangLaut, iFrigate, iShipOfTheLine, iIronclad, iTransport, iDestroyer, iBattleship,
iMissileCruiser, iStealthDestroyer, iSubmarine, iAttackSubmarine, iCarrier, iAirship, iFighter, iJetFighter, iBomber,
iStealthBomber, iGuidedMissile, iTacticalNuke, iIcbm, iProphet, iArtist, iScientist, iMerchant, iEngineer, iGreatGeneral, iGreatSpy,
iBireme, iBersagliere, iLevy, iSlave, iNativeSlave, iAztecSlave, [COLOR="Blue"]iAmericanMinuteman, iArabiaXebec, iAztecEagleWarrior, iBabylonRam, iByzantiumTagmata,
iChinaCannon, iCongoEmbalos, iDutchGradist, iEgyptAxeman, iEnglandManOWar, iEthiopiaSavannaHunter, iFranceChevalier, iGermanyDoppelsoldner, iGreekHetairoi,
iHarappaGuard, iIncaSlinger, iIndiaElephant, iIndonesiaBambooRuncing, iIranNaffatun, iItalyCondottieri, iJapanAshigaru, iKhmerPhakak, iKoreaKobukson,
iMaliCaravan, iMayaAtlAtl, iMongolSiegeEngineer, iMoorishCorsair, iMughalSepoy, iPersiaScythedChariot, iPhoeniciaBireme, iPortugalBandeirantes, iPrussiaHowitzer,
iRomeBallista, iRussiaStrelets, iSpainTercio, iTamilKallarani, iTibetWarriorMonk, iTurkeyGreatBombard, iVikingKarolin[/COLOR]) = range(iNumUnits)
I occasionally had the same bug. I added the new units in the list (the blue things), but I forgot to change the (red) number above. The (red) number should be the amount of units/buildings/resources (depents on what thinigs you added) what comes after it. If they don't match, you get the bug that you can't enter the civilopedia.
(The green number is the original number and the amount of units I added to the mod.)

I'm also curious to what changes you made.

I added one new civ as a rebirth of Egypt (Mamluks), added one leader, and changed some of the soundtrack. Thank you for the advice!

Regular notepad and wordpad don't have show python exceptions, or do they? I have fixed several problems and both problems are still there!:mad:

Those python exceptions aren't in notepad or wordpad.

Go to the BTS folder. You'll see a Civ4Config file. Open that. Search for:
Code:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 1
Chenge the '1' to '0'. The next time you play the mod, you'll get popups in the game, which will help you finding the bug. (And IIRC, you don't get the "you have been defeated" message anymore)

It still says "you have been defeated". The weird thing is that most of the files in which the glictches are in are files that I cannot find in the Python folder (or the DDL folder, so far). Some of the errors, when I check the line, there is no glitch at all. Here are the glitches.

Spoiler :
Failed to load python module CvRandomEventInterface
Traceback (most recent call last)
File "string", line 1, in ?
File "string", line 52, in load_module
File "CvRandomEventInterface", line 17, in ?
File "Religions", line 11, in ?
Import Error: cannot import name sd
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "CivAppInterface", line 70, in preGameStart
AttributeError 'module' object has no attribute 'showTechChooser'
Failed to load python module CvGameInterface
Traceback (most recent call last)
File "string", line 1, in ?
File "CvGameInterface", line 13, in ?
File "CvGameUtils", line 9, in ?
File "RFCUtils", line 9, in ?
File "StoredData", line 146, in ?
File "StoredData", line 17, in_init_
File "StoredData", line 29, in setup
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'lSecondaryCivs'

I have very little idea of where I screwed up, for the most part. Sorry about all of the hassle, I'm still a young and relatively inexperienced modder.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom