SGOTM 13 - TNT thread

I was able to get on briefly just after 10 am here. Notice one vote for SIP. Therefore the vote results are:

SIP - 2
PH - 4 including my vote for settling the hill. I’m sure every team must have agonized over this first choice but I think we have made the better one. We will have a powerful, flexible capitol and a great naval base.

Using the text file from post #143 -

Turn 0 - move settler to plains hill.
Turn 1 - Move warrior se to hill. We have fish 3 e of Elba. Settle Elba on PH. There are crabs 3n 1w of Elba. There is land to the north west by the crabs and land to the east -- 2 grass and 2 desert visible plus?… This looks like a good city location. Need to explore.
Set research to fishing. Take pics. Upload when server stable.

In trying to upload the game pics, I have run into an error: :(
The pics are not valid graphics files. The pics have a .jpg extension. Ill keep trying.

I have pmed AlanH to see what I can do about these screen shots. I'll wait to see what he says and then upload pics, if possible, and upload the save to the server. Sorry about this extra delay.

In trying to upload the game pics, I have run into an error: :(
The pics are not valid graphics files. The pics have a .jpg extension. Ill keep trying.

The screenshot of the Settings page that you uploaded earlier, was a jpg-file. Hope it works out. I can hardly wait to see them. :p

Mitchum just posted this in the Maintenance Thread:

"I assume that it is a known issue that it is not currently possible to upload attachments to a post. Do any of the admins know when this might be fixed?"

I hope everyone can hold on for just a little longer until the server is back to normal.
-keath

I have played through to turn 41 and have uploaded the save file to the server. You can download it from the Progressand Results Page. I'll get some pix up once the problem has been resolved and upload the game file here.

While the server was down I played through to turn 41 without any events to post. It all worked out exactly as planned in jj's excellent text file from post #143.

Turn 2 - Move warr back to city. worker in 17.

Nothing to report -

Turn 9 3775bc - borders pop - land 1 nw of crabs is plains and forest plains to the w. To the east, we have a desert 1 se of fish, desert hill south of that and grass sw on a peninsula connected to the grass to the west. South of that is a grass hill with stone! The visible tile to the sw (2w 4s of Elba) is a single tile grass island.
Turn 11 Fishing ==> Mining (11)
Turn 12 3700bc Buddhism discovered in a far away land.
Turn 19 3525bc - Worker done, moves to corn, farms corn. Worker ==> work boat (23)
Turn 22 Mining ==> Sailing
Turn 27 Corn farmed - worker moves to e hill.
Turn 29 Worker mines hill, MM - work corn, grass forest.
Turn 34 - Mine done MM: corn/mine (4f, 5p)
Turn 35 - Growth (1) work boat (1) Worker moves to Elba on way to road corn.
Turn 36 - Elba grows. WB1 improves clam. Build WB2, Worker roads corn. MM: corn/mine/clam (6f, 5p)
Turn 39 - Worker to north hill.
Turn 40 - Worker mines hill.
Turn 41 - Sailing ==> Mining Remember to Post Sign *REAL GAME* below Elba.

We can discuss our progress and then set the roster:

Keath (just played)
Windfury up
zifbankovi on deck

trucha pmed me to say that he doesn't have the time to play because of his classes and an expected baby. We wish him all the best and welcome him to look in once in awhile. :goodjob:

Hi Guys
Nice you haven't forgotten about me

Sorry for my long absence, but it was rather hard for me to write anything as I was ill for nearly 2 last weeks with huge fever, totally wet eyes and so on.
The only effort i was able to made was just a quick standard GOTM of Louis (deadline 28th :( )

Now when I feel a liitle better (but still not allowed to leave my bed and still not able to look at the screen longer than 0,5-1 hour), and will try to be a liitle more involved (even though i am more observer than "activist"),

Yes, enKage, get well soon. When you are feeling up to playing a turnset let the team know and we'll schedule you in.

The server still isn't reading my pics. No new news in the Maintenance Thread. Hopefully sometime today I'll have some luck. At that time I will attach the save, too.

@Keath: Hmm, what you are saying, makes me fear I have done something wrong. Since I wanted to have a look at the map, I downloaded the save from the progress page. I thought this was how the saves where supposed to be distributed. But if that is the case, then there would be no need for you to upload the save. So now I fear that only the first person that downloads the save from the progress page, is the one that has to upload it again. So my question is: Have I done something wrong or can others (in particular Windfury who will play the next turnset) also download the save from the progress page?

-jj-

We are encouraged to use the Progress and Results graph to its full extent. If you view the Power curve, you'll see that two teams have a strong bend upward (Unusual Suspects and Maple Sporks) suggesting they *might* have gone Fishing/Sailing and built a galley to explore. Is that a correct interpretation?

One team, Phoenix Rising, has a flat power curve. Could they have abandoned the first few hammers? Hmmm....

There seems to be good variety in opening moves. This is great! Watching this progress will be very interesting. :popcorn:

wow, im dieing for some pictures, im still in Hungary, and cannot open CIV 4 Games here...

im so happy to have started finaly.

do we have a screenshot of the demograhics and victory page from turn2!?

Cross post with justjohn:
I just lost my edit so I'll post instead.

When I uploaded the save, it gave me an opportunity to copy the save (*edit- which is given a new name*) in order to attach it to our thread for convenience, I think. There is no problem with uploading from the P&R page. I suggest using the pause feature, not available on my Mac, to prevent a mouse misclick or trackpad fumble. As long as you make no changes, all is cool.

The information is on the C-IV SGOTM Reference page.

From that page:
"The performance of each team is recorded on a web page which may be accessed >>HERE<<. This web page has a lot of functionality, and participants are invited to explore it thoroughly.
One very important function of this page is that it is the location from which players download the saves from which they play. Similarly, players upload the saves they wish to pass on using >>THIS FORM<<. All required information is automatically extracted from the save file, without any intervention being required from the player. Other information (including reload count) is also extracted from the save and archived."

Another crosspost. This time with fizbankovi.

There is presently a problem with uploading attachments to the thread. All teams are affected so I haven't had any luck. Check the Maintenance Thread for updates.

My experience yesterday was quite frustrating as the server was down and all my attempts were unsuccessful. It kept saying my pics were not valid graphics files. AlanH confirmed that he could not upload a valid graphic to any site. I'll keep trying and post all the graphics when the problem is resolved.

We'll all have to continue to be patient....

When I uploaded the save, it gave me an opportunity to copy the save (*edit- which is given a new name*) in order to attach it to our thread for convenience, I think. There is no problem with uploading from the P&R page. I suggest using the pause feature, not available on my Mac, to prevent a mouse misclick or trackpad fumble. As long as you make no changes, all is cool.

The information is on the C-IV SGOTM Reference page.

I've read the information on that page, but it was not clear to me whether all players could download the saves at will, even those that just want to have a look at it (and I'm careful not moving anything), or if it is just for the next player in the roster. I guess all is fine as long as Windfury also is able to download the save. If he cannot, then I'll just upload the save I downloaded, without any changes to it.

Furthermore, I have a question for us. There is a fogbusting method that can be used to find out the elevation of black squares (thereby telling us whether it is water, lowland, hill or mountain). I PM'ed AlanH and asked if this was allowed (after I read about the "flying camera" discussion in the maintenance thread). He told me that this very method had been discussed in a previous SGOTM and the ruling was it was allowed (but still some players/teams choose not to use it). This is a trick I've used sometimes myself. The information it provides is quite limited, but can be used to find out how large our closest islands are. I have never used this trick on a large scale (only checked a few black squares when needed for movement), but in theory I guess it can be used to map out the basic elevation in a large radius around our starting island.

So my question is this: How do we feel about using this "trick/feature/bug"? If we want to use it, I could map out our closest islands. This might help us a bit planning our next cities. But I don't want to do anything before we've discussed this.

-jj-

I've read the information on that page, but it was not clear to me whether all players could download the saves at will, even those that just want to have a look at it (and I'm careful not moving anything), or if it is just for the next player in the roster. I guess all is fine as long as Windfury also is able to download the save. If he cannot, then I'll just upload the save I downloaded, without any changes to it.

Furthermore, I have a question for us. There is a fogbusting method that can be used to find out the elevation of black squares (thereby telling us whether it is water, lowland, hill or mountain). I PM'ed AlanH and asked if this was allowed (after I read about the "flying camera" discussion in the maintenance thread). He told me that this very method had been discussed in a previous SGOTM and the ruling was it was allowed (but still some players/teams choose not to use it). This is a trick I've used sometimes myself. The information it provides is quite limited, but can be used to find out how large our closest islands are. I have never used this trick on a large scale (only checked a few black squares when needed for movement), but in theory I guess it can be used to map out the basic elevation in a large radius around our starting island.

So my question is this: How do we feel about using this "trick/feature/bug"? If we want to use it, I could map out our closest islands. This might help us a bit planning our next cities. But I don't want to do anything before we've discussed this.

-jj-

All players can download the save at will.

I actually posted a flying camera of a neighboring island earlier in this thread, you must have missed it :p. But I'm ok with not using it if you guys feel it's inappropriate.

I have no problem with the flying camera trick. I've never tried it, actually. But I figure this:
"All's fair in love and war." And this is war, isn't it? :mischief:

There's been quite a heated discussion in the Maintenance Thread about flying cameras and test maps. As long as it's not a documented exploit, we'd be at a disadvantage not to use every avenue at our disposal. That's why I'd like to be a better analyst at reading the Score, Culture and Power Graphs on the Progress and Results page.

Cross post with dima. It looks like we're back with the attachments. Good news! I was very much looking forward to pausing at turn 2 to analyze the situation. I'll post all the pics I made in an upcoming post.

dima, I notice you've used google to upload the pic. AlanH suggested using Image Shack or some other free graphic service. This would be a first for me and I'm going to be busy for the next few hours.

I think fizbankovi would like to analyze the Demographics screen. Could you upload a shot of it?

Top Bottom