Barbarians

kirkham7

Warlord
I was just wondering if there is a way to disable barbarians? I'd like to compete solely against the other civilizations, not these wandering nomads.

In searching through the forum, I haven't seen an answer to this.
Is it possible to disable the barbarians either permanently or by editing your saved game?

I was just wondering if there is a way to disable barbarians? I'd like to compete solely against the other civilizations, not these wandering nomads.

You can disable them. If the civ active bit for the barbarians is reset to zero they will not get a turn. They will still spawn in their normal way. They can then be disabled and removed by a utility such as CIV$ (CIV dollar sign) *

One drawback is that the game will not end if the barbarians are not active

* A name chosen before I realized that the internet won’t let you search for string such as “CIV$”, a poor choice indeed.

Cool, I will definitely try it out. I was thinking of a permanent solution, but this will work until Darkpanda has a chance to work on getting some patches ready to disable them for good. Thanks Dack.

Hi there,

I took some time to push the research a little bit, and came up with the patch below that bypasses calls to the "spawn barbarians" sub-routine from the main game loop: this should result in Barbarians never appearing in the game, but this is untested yet, though:

Code:
[B]ENGLISH[/B]
[B]offsets:[/B]
  EN 474.01:[B] 0x2604[/B]
  EN 474.03: [B]0x2612[/B]
  EN 474.04: [B]0x2612[/B]
  EN 474.05:[B] 0x2612[/B]
  EN 475.01: [B]0x2604[/B]

original bytes: [COLOR="Red"]E8 D7 06[/COLOR]
 patched bytes: [B][COLOR="Blue"]90 90 90[/COLOR][/B]

[B]FRENCH[/B]
[B]offset:[/B]
  FR 474.05: [B]0x268A[/B]
original bytes: [COLOR="Red"]E8 F7 06[/COLOR]
 patched bytes: [COLOR="Blue"][B]90 90 90[/B][/COLOR]

Note that this does not remove barbarians spawned by visiting huts. I will check those later on.

i was wondering the first time of over 24 years playing civ1
a barbarians diplomat made a industrial sabotage to my own city
for normaly they dont active
it is happenend to u too ?

i was wondering the first time of over 24 years playing civ1
a barbarians diplomat made a industrial sabotage to my own city
for normaly they dont active
it is happenend to u too ?

It did, yes.

But just one or two times in my 1000 civdos games the last 24 years.

Yeah, AI diplomats will sometimes do that. Especially if your city is undefended.

Top Bottom