Is this even possible

sherbz

Deity
Spoiler :

I mean its turn 30 and already Ashur has 3 cities. I dont know how he did it. Unless he hard built a settler from the get go and went liberty. But then a pop 5 capital?? He would have had to be seriously lucky in huts for that to be possible. Or am i missing something.

Settings are immortal and standard speed.

Difficulty?

At certain level, AI begins to recieve bonuses, seeing as you are on the bottom I am assuming you're above Prince.

Bonuses include increased production and free worker/settler combo.

Sure it is immortal? On deity the AI gets an extra settler and that could explain it but then again, it would not be a pop one city.

It would take him 5 respective 6 turns just to walk the settlers out and settle them. And there is/was a barb camp at one location so ad a couple of turns for that city.

Perhaps he some how managed to buy one settler while stumbling across a couple of culture ruins and went liberty.

At higher difficulty levels the AI blatantly cheats in unrealistic fashion. This is why playing the AI is a lot less fun and interesting than playing humans. I would much rather get beat by superior skill than blatant cheating. Luckily you can still make up for its cheating with human thought and destroy it in the long run.

AI does not cheat. They follow the rules, just like us. Only they get some bonuses, depending on the level. Getting a bonus is not cheating.

^This. If you play chess with a child and spot them 2 pawns, a knight, a bishop and a rook, is the child cheating?

We all wish the AI was less child-like, but we have what we have for now.

Yes i am sure its immortal, so no free settler.

What slightly takes the piss is that it would take him 5 and 6 turns respectively to march those settlers up there (at least, and that is barb dependent). I would love to actually see how the AI managed that. his capital isnt even that good as you see from the one improved grass tile. If he had a triple salt start i might have been more sympathetic. I just dont see where he has got the growth and production. And as its Ashy, he doesnt get stupid gold like Isabella would for instance. Even with bonusses i struggle to see how it is possible.

Spoiler :

I mean its turn 30 and already Ashur has 3 cities. I dont know how he did it. Unless he hard built a settler from the get go and went liberty. But then a pop 5 capital?? He would have had to be seriously lucky in huts for that to be possible. Or am i missing something.

Settings are immortal and standard speed.

The 3 cities are because he went liberty. One of them is likely the free one from liberty since the AI only needs 2/3rds of the culture a human would for each policy at all difficulty levels and also both of them are size 1.

The pop 5 city is mostly from the AI reduced food needed to grow on Immortal.
It's possible he might have also gotten a pop ruin.

^This. If you play chess with a child and spot them 2 pawns, a knight, a bishop and a rook, is the child cheating?

We all wish the AI was less child-like, but we have what we have for now.

Yes, they are cheating. The playing field is not level, however you are agreeing to allow them to cheat so it's OK.

The AI gets a lot of stuff for free. Free settlers, free workers, spawn units for free, get extra gold, less culture cost, no unhappiness, stronger units, free tech, free faith. The list of buffs is so long.

Given the choice why would you want to play in the child scenario ever when thinking adults are always around to challenge you legitimately.

Yes, they are cheating. The playing field is not level, however you are agreeing to allow them to cheat so it's OK.

In many games going first puts the player in an advantageous position and so the playing field is not level. Going first is not cheating. In many games, players choose starting characters that change how the game plays, or provide other bonuses. Some characters are stronger than others, choosing one is not cheating.

While the list of buffs is long, it does not help to make stuff up.

Initially, on Deity, they get the the first column of techs, they get extra starting units (2 settlers total).
They have reduced culture, tech and faith costs. They also have less unhappiness. They gets growth, production and gold bonuses.

I choose to play with the ai because I don't like wars that dissolve into a click fest, and whoever has the fastest internet wins, or in the other alternative, waiting 20 minutes between turns.

Such a sucky city placement... that's why I respect Shoshone's AI, good ol' Pocahontas knows how to settle properly (most of the time he does). I'd burn Nimrud ASAP just to teach him a lesson.

Such a sucky city placement... that's why I respect Shoshone's AI, good ol' Pocahontas knows how to settle properly (most of the time he does). I'd burn Nimrud ASAP just to teach him a lesson.

Yes, which is why I have a mod that increases minimum city placement by 1 which disallows that combo.

The only reason Shoshone has better city placement is it starts with free tiles.

(The fertility algorithm doesn't check to see if tiles are within 3 hexes of an existing city or not, it instead only checks if a tile is already within the cultural boundary, so there are several tiles that it thinks that both cities are going to work at the same time.
In this case, the AI would found Nimrud two tiles of where it did [SE of that resource instead of NE])

3 cities by that time is totally doable for an AI.

If I was Assyria though, my third city would probably be one tile NW of those Gems on the coast. Lots of bananas, Gems, a Cattle, and two fish within the third ring. Nineveh's in a good spot, but I'd be buying out that Incense to the East so the City-State couldn't snag it. I'd also be praying like a SOB for Goddess of Festivals :lol:

While I agree that Numrud has a pretty horrible placement from a yields pov., it does make sense strategically, because it effectively cuts off the entire southern island from Shoshone expansion, which is not that bad a move. I was actually pleasantly surprised at seeing how great a spot they chose for Nineveh, it wouldn't have been the first time I had seen the AI blow something like this by settling off the river or something like that.

As for OP, I guess for AI to succeed at this, it'll need to pop a culture ruin very early and then go straigth for the free settler in Liberty. It might even have popped 2 culture ruins? If it got the free settler and production bonus towards settlers quickly, it could probably pull this off.

In many games going first puts the player in an advantageous position and so the playing field is not level. Going first is not cheating. In many games, players choose starting characters that change how the game plays, or provide other bonuses. Some characters are stronger than others, choosing one is not cheating.

While the list of buffs is long, it does not help to make stuff up.

Initially, on Deity, they get the the first column of techs, they get extra starting units (2 settlers total).
They have reduced culture, tech and faith costs. They also have less unhappiness. They gets growth, production and gold bonuses.

I choose to play with the ai because I don't like wars that dissolve into a click fest, and whoever has the fastest internet wins, or in the other alternative, waiting 20 minutes between turns.

I suspect in BE you will just get the AI settling earlier in the harder difficulties.

To resolve the speculation about whether Assyria beelined to Collective Rule (which is likely the case), the OP should go to Global Politics screen and report back what policies Assyria adopted.

What? How is it cheating if you agree to give them advantages before the game starts? That doesn't make sense...

@topic: He's probably got bananas on that one undiscovered jungle tile, which is why - in combination with growth bonuses and a free worker, and maybe even a +pop ruin - they managed to still get a pop 5 city.

There are many sports, golf, billiards, bowling and darts come quickly to mind, that have a handicap system built in to allow players of differing skills to compete with an equal chance of winning. If its built into the rules it is not cheating.

Top Bottom