Ask a Mormon, Part 4

In any case, how bad is spirit prison supposed to be?

I would suppose that depends on what sort of life you lived before you died. I don't see any reason why it needs to be unpleasant, but there will be the feeling that you can't move on right away.

How many will undertake this process?

I can't give numbers obviously, that depends on free will.

How glorious is the Celestial Kingdom then?

Well, beyond the understanding of those whose understanding is beyond out understanding I suppose . . .

What happens to them? Hell?

Outer Darkness, ie being completely out of the presence of God.

And, what does this sin entail exactly?

Having a perfect knowledge of God (not just thinking that God's existence is logical, or even having spiritual experiences of God, but basically meeting God) and then rejecting Him.

I would suppose that depends on what sort of life you lived before you died. I don't see any reason why it needs to be unpleasant, but there will be the feeling that you can't move on right away.

Like another Earth except with knowledge? Or worse.

I can't give numbers obviously, that depends on free will.

True, but I mean, will there be hardly any, or a lot? Also, would you have to have been a Mormon in this life?

Well, beyond the understanding of those whose understanding is beyond out understanding I suppose . . .

So, is there any particular reason God gives the wicked a greater place than Earth?

And do only those who deny the Holy Spirit go here? Or can you choose to go there as well if you are stupid enough. Also, why WOULDN'T everyone believe after death if you were right?

Having a perfect knowledge of God (not just thinking that God's existence is logical, or even having spiritual experiences of God, but basically meeting God) and then rejecting Him.

How is this possible for ANYONE?

Like another Earth except with knowledge? Or worse.

Presumably better.

True, but I mean, will there be hardly any, or a lot? Also, would you have to have been a Mormon in this life?

I don't know. And for the second question, definitely not.

So, is there any particular reason God gives the wicked a greater place than Earth?

Because of His great love for all His children.

And do only those who deny the Holy Spirit go here? Or can you choose to go there as well if you are stupid enough.

Deny it in the sense I said, not just deny it exists.

Also, why WOULDN'T everyone believe after death if you were right?

What do you mean?

How is this possible for ANYONE?

Pride is a powerful force.

Presumably better.

Then how would it be prison at all?

I don't know. And for the second question, definitely not.

Interesting. I guess its necessary since there are hardly any Mormons compared to people anyway.

Because of His great love for all His children.

Well, I know they can repent, and I guess I can buy the concept (In the context of your beliefs) of repentence after death. But, what if they DON'T repent? Would God send an unrepentent Hitler to the Telestial?

Remember, if he is unrepentent, he can make life difficult for others who are there, even if he can't physically harm them.

Deny it in the sense I said, not just deny it exists.

Do you mean deny he exists?

Also, yes I know.
What do you mean?

Pride is a powerful force.

No, but I mean, how can ANYONE know God at that level?

Then how would it be prison at all?

Because it keeps you from being somewhere else. That's what defines prison - not conditions there.

Interesting. I guess its necessary since there are hardly any Mormons compared to people anyway.

Presumably you don't mean that Mormons aren't people . . . :lol:

Well, I know they can repent, and I guess I can buy the concept (In the context of your beliefs) of repentence after death. But, what if they DON'T repent? Would God send an unrepentent Hitler to the Telestial?

Presumably, yes.

Remember, if he is unrepentent, he can make life difficult for others who are there, even if he can't physically harm them.

And they to him - he would be spending eternity with every evil unrepentant Jewish person who had ever lived . . .

Do you mean deny he exists?

In a sense yes.

Also, yes I know.
What do you mean?

Huh? I think some wires got crossed here.

No, but I mean, how can ANYONE know God at that level?

In the sense that, say, Moses knew. They would first have to be both righteous enough, and chosen by God, for Him to reveal Himself to them.

On today's edition of "Eran asks questions about Mormonism that no one asked", I am going to discuss the odd way in which we sometimes quote scripture.

Now, I sometimes see youth groups from other churches around here in the DC area, and they often have Biblical quotes related to whatever theme their group has on their group t-shirts, complete with the actual citation in small print underneath. In other words, when they are using the words of the Bible, they do so in the same context.

Now, we do this when we are teaching or giving talks or whatever, but we constantly quote scriptures in casual conversation, only in a different context. And we have more scriptures to quote from.

For example, I saw a movie (made by an LDS filmmaker about 10 years ago) in which an FBI agent tells a small town sheriff of a murder victim that "her blood isn't exactly crying out from the ground" or something like that, and the sheriff is able to tell that the FBI agent grew up LDS, not because of the words of the quote (which are in the Bible) but that the context was completely nonreligious.

Or - in the Book of Mormon there is an extended allegory in which, among other things, the vanity of the world is described as "a great and spacious building". So of course we are prone on occasion to describe other buildings as great and spacious.

Hope everyone understood what I meant by that. It's a cultural thing really.

What things do mormons agree with on with the catholic church.

Besides their prophetic beginnings and beliefs are mormons similar to other protestent groups?

What things do mormons agree with on with the catholic church.

Well, most basic doctrines related to Christ, a few other doctrines, some social practices. it would be hard to make a list.

Besides their prophetic beginnings and beliefs are mormons similar to other protestent groups?

It is because of our prophetic beginnings, among other things, that we aren't traditionally considered protestant. There are major doctrinal differences.

Am I the only one who constantly reads the thread title "Ask a Moron"? :crazyeye:
(No offense, Eran :) )

How does this work metaphysically? Wouldn't somebody completely shut out from the sustaining presence of God cease to exist altogether? I've heard some Protestants describe Hell in similar terms based on a mistranslation of 2 Thessalonians 1:9, and I honestly don't get it.

How does this work metaphysically? Wouldn't somebody completely shut out from the sustaining presence of God cease to exist altogether? I've heard some Protestants describe Hell in similar terms based on a mistranslation of 2 Thessalonians 1:9, and I honestly don't get it.

Well, that is a metaphysical question that depends on more information than we have, I think. I would say that our spirits have an existence that is to some degree independent of God, at least to the degree that they don't require ongoing intervention on His part - we do, after all, believe that our spirits were not created by God ex nihilo.

Do you know of any good histories of Mormonism, either popular or scholarly?

None that were written by non-Mormons.

^The ones that the church itself has produced, in my opinion, pretty much suck though. Rough Stone Rolling came out of Columbia University (I think), and it one of the definitive works on Joesph Smith. I think it is excellent.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Do you believe the bibles narrations are historical facts, or meant as metaphors/images?

Some are historical facts, some are best understood in a metaphorical sense. We are not strict Literalists, but even within the church I think there is a range of different views on any given book or verse.

I have no idea if it's been asked, but is it a prohibition of consuming or drinking alcohol? Like, if you make jello shots and eat them, is it a sin?

I've cooked with wine before, but I think that's a little different from a jello shot.

Top Bottom