Language translations for leader sayings

Anybody who knows any Mayan language would be a great help in deciphering Pacal's speech. It'll prolly end up being Yucatec despite Pacal ruling Palenque, which is in Chiapas, Mexico

Byzantine and Dutch dialogue should be no problem

Irish Gaelic would prolly be the language of Boudica despite Welsh being descended from whatever language Boudica spoke.

Carthage could be Berber (Kabyle), Phoenician if they hire a scholar, Lebanese Arabic or even Tunisian Arabic

uncomfirmed civs could be Ethiopia (speaking Amharic, does anyone know this language?) Zulu (Zulu speakers in Montreal? or recording in South Africa) Austria (Austrian German) Sumerian (Sumerian which requires a scholar), I want Ethiopia the most and some entirely new ones too
We know there's no Portugal, Vietnam, Tibet, Belgium.

The Civ4 languages that are not fully translated are Akkadian (Babylon) Amharic (Ethiopia) Arabic, Irish Gaelic (Celts), Egyptian Arabic, Byzantine Greek, Hindi (Indian), Khmer, Mali's language (prolly Mandinka or another Mande language) Yucatec (Mayan), Mohawk (Native America), Mongolian, Nahuatl (Aztec), Persian, Carthage's language (apparently Kabyle Berber), Quechua (Inca), Sumerian, Turkish (Ottoman), and Zulu.
If you happen to know one of these languages, please go to the Civilization wiki and edit the pages for the Civ4 civs. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Nine new leaders coming out soon!
A Celtic language, Byzantine Greek, Dutch, Yucatec Mayan, and Berber (Kabyle) are possibilities
Are we up to task?

The Mayan and Kabyle might be the hardest to translate

I speak Welsh so I'm hoping for that as the Celtic language, especially if Cardiff is the capital. Shame I'm male and Boudica (Buddug) is female, otherwise I could've lent my voice to a CIV game! :king:

We had a opportunity to hear some of Attila, Maria Theresa, and Haile Selassie 's dialogue in the demo at PAX

Attila's language I have no idea, maybe Chuvash (Turkic), Ossetian (Iranian) Kalmyk (Mongolic) Tungusic language??? Uralic language??? Caucasus language (like Abkhaz, Chechen)???
I know it's not Mongolian, or Germanic, or Latin

Maria Theresa's Austrian German should be translated easy by a fluent speaker.

Haile Selassie sounds like he's speaking Amharic, which makes perfect sense. I translated one bit of his dialogue , ena? which means and?

for other leaders we have not heard, their languages may be Scottish Gaelic, Irish, Breton, or Welsh (Boudica), Medieval Greek or Late Latin (Theodora), Dutch (Willem), a Mayan language (Yucatec is likely) (Pacal), Phoenician or Berber language (like Shawiya or Kabyle) (Dido)

Does Gucumatz actually speak Kaqchikel? It's not likely to be the same language, but it might be enough to give a gist.
Also, Pacal might speak K'iche, given that it has more speakers than Yucatec...

Updated front page to include Gods and Kings civs. Let's see how many we can crack! Also, turns out Askia speaks Bambara, according to YouTube.

Maria Theresa (http://de.twitch.tv/2k/b/314356244) says:
The Arch-Duchess of Austria *Expression with welcome, don't know how to translate* your eminence welcome.

I can't understand the second and third sentences.

Updated front page to include Gods and Kings civs. Let's see how many we can crack! Also, turns out Askia speaks Bambara, according to YouTube.
Well, that YouTube comment is wrong. Askia's speech is one of the interestingly accurate ones in Civ 5. He's speaking Zarma, the Songhay language with the most speakers.
I don't really understand the language, but his first sentence is most definitely "Ay ga ti Askia Songhay." which means "I am Askia Songhay."

Well, that YouTube comment is wrong. Askia's speech is one of the interestingly accurate ones in Civ 5. He's speaking Zarma, the Songhay language with the most speakers.
I don't really understand the language, but his first sentence is most definitely "Ay ga ti Askia Songhay." which means "I am Askia Songhay."

This seems right. I figured out the language of the Malian units in Civ4. Turns out it was Bambara. And it sounds nothing like Askia's language. It makes sense for Askia to speak a Songhay language instead of a Mande language (like Bambara).

Here's what Attila's intro line sounds like to me:

Ezu halai Attila! Womanchei! Arriebholem kak sen ga gei! Avan ma kabalak na, lu keir mei rei gamda!

It could be Ossetian like someone in another thread suggested. Maybe, they couldn't get a fluent Chuvash speaker.

Here's what the subtitles say : "The son of Mundzuk greets you. Tread lightly across my land, and you may be safe yet from my horse's iron hooves."
I don't think this is accurate, since he doesn't say Mundzuk.

Here's what Maria Theresa' subtitles say:
The Lady of the Wendish Mark welcomes your eminence to--Oh let's just get this over with. I have a luncheon at 4.

OK, she says the following with a perfect and cute little austrian accent - and also a slight hint of aristocracy and old-fashioned-ness:

"Die Erzherzogin zu Österreich heißt Eure Eminenz willkommen in ...
Ach, bringen wir es hinter uns! Um vier wird gespeist."

Which translates into:

"The archduchess of Austria welcomes your Eminence to ...
Oh, let's get this over with! There will be dining at four o'clock."

Interesting that it's pretty much the same as the text, that's unusual for most IIRC

Not really, there are multiple lines they could say, and many (if not all) of the have one line that is more or less an accurate translation.

These are from the XML files for example.

Ghandi:
In the name of the Indian people, I offer you my hand in friendship!

Augustus:
Greetings. I am Augustus, Emperor and Pontifex Maximus of Rome. If you are a friend of Rome, be welcome.

Napoleon:
Welcome. I am Napoleon of France, the greatest military mind in the history of the world!

Harun Al Rashid:
Welcome, Stranger! I am Harun al-Rashid, ruler of Arabia. Come - tell me of your empire.

The DLC seem to be less accurate though.

Does Gucumatz actually speak Kaqchikel? It's not likely to be the same language, but it might be enough to give a gist.
Also, Pacal might speak K'iche, given that it has more speakers than Yucatec...

I only know a few phrases but not nearly enough. I have family though that I could call if it was in Kaqchikel if it needed to be translated.

But like you said, probably not relevant to Pacal

Looks like the last civ is Sweden...
At least we'll prolly get his dialogue translated.

That was wild speculation in this forum (both the thread about the continent of the last civ and Sunday PAX analysis, if my memory doesn't betray me)... unless you can provide a link?

Top Bottom