Deity Fun II - Qin the Dazzling Man [Fractal, Random leaders, normal speed]

@BIC

Spoiler :

The hell. Stop making fun of me. You can't be true; SB fell under the might of Cho-ko-nu! :p :sarcasm:

Indeed, very impressive. With the amount of cities, Willem and SB were the ones I wanted at all cost to avoid. Especially knowing SB habits to spam troops. Even my cuirassiers had mild problems against him, thus figure.

I admit the Shwedagon use for early Theo is a cute move and very good use of a wonder many thinks bad and almost useless...at least those who doesn't know how to use a situational wonder. With gold, that wonder worths a try.

Looks like that game is not hard enough for folks here...

Don't forget to make people aware about your AW game if it is not in S&T but small succession games subforum (in Stories and Tales IIRC). I think you really should use mapfinder to ease the amount of work.

@GKey

Spoiler :

Hmmm...yes it is a win. :D I'll consider a dom victory for you by default because spamming from your position is easy.

I'm surprised you went all through the obstacles to finish the game. You sure are more tenacious than me.

Did you have fun anyways?

SB is such a loser AI. Even with that amount of cities, he still loses...:lol:

Tachy - Just so you know, my game ended up in the toilet due to

Spoiler :
simultaneous Otto/Gilgs DOW. Result of poor Culture attempt, although I was quite close to getting the 3rd L city

I may try this one again, as the start is not bad.

Yes I had lots of fun here.

Spoiler :
I would go on but SB sure will capitulate only after I reduce him to 3-4 cities - means another 10-15 turns of unneeded and boring war, and sure SB will be useless vassal after that. By then I suppose to have infantry and invade Suley or Gilga and so on.

Learned something here too. Firstly MT rush is still most reliable deity tactic regardless nice early UU. Secondly something about forests preserves: they suppose to increase the chance of forests grow nearby. But this seem to work only when city actually works forest preserve tile. (?) Or this or I just was unlucky.

@ Tachywaxon :
Spoiler :
Thanks for the sarcasm alert. I'd have looked for a hole to hide in, otherwise.

I've found about Map finder. Great tool ! I had to toy a bit with the settings but I think it's okay, now.

@ Forests growing :
Does a camp prevent a forest from growing on the tile ? What about the road on the camp ?
I'm under the impression that once a deer/fur is camped it never gets its forest... Too bad when they are BFC resources.

Deer was under forest already, I think forest will not grow over improvement and have very small chance to grow over tile with road on it.

I had few tundra tiles w/o roads I wanted forest to grow. Did not happen during whole game, until single forest grew after I had worked forest preserve on adjacent tile.

Finished Gandhi game and wanted just to start this one a bit when suddenly:

Spoiler :

Ok, how does one fix this?

Edit: qiutting, then restarting game doesn't help, it keeps appearing. However, when I saved manually and loaded ingame, block of text disappeared, and everything seems fine now.

Does anyone knows what might be the reason for this glitch?

@ Tachywaxon :
Spoiler :
Thanks for the sarcasm alert. I'd have looked for a hole to hide in, otherwise.

I've found about Map finder. Great tool ! I had to toy a bit with the settings but I think it's okay, now.

@ Forests growing :
Does a camp prevent a forest from growing on the tile ? What about the road on the camp ?
I'm under the impression that once a deer/fur is camped it never gets its forest... Too bad when they are BFC resources.

improvements block forest/jungle spread.

roads halve the chance to forest/jungle to appear. So roaded tile can still get forest/jungle, but the chance is much less.

There was very good post from Dhoomstriker in one of IC games about how forest spreading works.
Made me think a lot about the ways I chop trees ;-)

edit:
when we're at it I remember a game with double gems in BFC after moving 1SE or something getting jungled :-( was not quick enough.
Other players though weren't gemjungled like me :)
Was very sad panda :-(

@ GKey & Vranasm :
Thanks for the answers :)
The forest probably grew very early in your game, GKey : in mine, the camp is unforested.

@ Dhoomstriker's post ; to sum it up from memory : more adjacent forests increase chances for regrowth. So if one doesn't plan to improve a tile right after chopping, then it's better to chop a tile surrounded by forests (typically, in the diagonals, also best for defense).

Most of the lucky pandas probably didn't even bother to station their initial warrior on the gems, right ? Then there are the cautious pandas that do and sacrifice scouting. And the sad panda who doesn't even have a choice. Sad panda is a very sad thing indeed.

Most of the lucky pandas probably didn't even bother to station their initial warrior on the gems, right ? Then there are the cautious pandas that do and sacrifice scouting. And the sad panda who doesn't even have a choice. Sad panda is a very sad thing indeed.

Hmmm...somehow it is reminiscent to be either Darius or Cyrus.
Will look actively for the post.

Road cuts by half the odd of regrowth; I think that wasn't mentioned.

@Vranasm

Now, you have to decide. You are a chinese clown or a panda. You can't be both! :);):D

EDIT:

The BOTM in question.

@shakabrade

Yes, it occured to me few times, often when my computer was used over a long period.
Never found the explanation nor tried to find one.

Played a bit...till...1500s

Before I started this game I said to myself that I'll not horse rush, cuir rush or cav rush this one since I almost always do that and I am boring to myself. We have a nice leader for medieval war, something I haven't ever done on deity. And for good reason: You basically give up on Lib race, you have many slow units, war takes forever, especially when your opponent has castles and Chicken Pizza, high maintenance and war weariness, you fall behind with techs, and when you finally conquer your new land, it is not as good as it would be if you have taken it by cuirs. So why not do that.

Spoiler :
I went for engineering bulb, and having GLib helps with generating Great Scientists a lot. I saved my first GS for Metal Casting bulb. Second will bulb Machinery.

Spoiler :
Techs and bpt 1AD, you can also see progress on my third GS 93% chance.

And voila, Great Artist named Thespis emerges totally ruining all of my plans.:sad: I had to use him for GAge so I get my Engineering GS ASAP, and had to botch Music race so I could get Civil Service while in GAge for anarchy free civic switch.

Spoiler :

Finally...
I built some trebs, WEs and Chos and attacked Stalin who had castles, Chichen Itza and lot of cultural defense. Willem was more obvious target because he always is, but this seemed more fun. This is Deity Fun Series afterall.

Spoiler :

After some thousand years of war, Stalin was reduced to 2 tundra cities. I took Nationalism for peace (Stalin was quite a tech beast in his time). My plan was to kill him but he peacevassaled to Willem, like deity AI does.

Spoiler :
Diplo and techs after the war:

Spoiler :
After this I played aimlessly, without clear vision of my VC for quite some time when I noticed willem went full culture (he maxed culture slider, and since I had espionage on him, I saw that he needed 50 turns to research Democracy). So I decided I'll kill him next. And for that, and killing sitting bull next, I'll need this:

Spoiler :
Techs 1450AD:

Plan for the future:
Spoiler :
Conquer Willem to Amsterdam with Rifles and Cannons, then SB with Artie and Infantry. I must be prepared for Suleiman and Gilgamesh, who will probably get bribed on me. Military victory without nukes will be difficult. Space will be hard too. Suleiman is very advanced and has Mining Inc.

Edit: Sorry for huge pics, but it's 4 AM here.

Attachments

• Kremlj.CivBeyondSwordSave
    443.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Tachywaxon AD-0720.CivBeyondSwordSave
    346.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Tachywaxon BC-0600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    233.7 KB · Views: 28
Promise. I'll comment your game. But tomorrow. Had a rough day today.

This post will be edited.
Screw this. I'll do it now.

-------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler :
Well, first, you are not in a desesperate pinch. Indeed, HA's rush is definitely too late now unless you are willing to step in a tedious war with agressive stalin. My game and yours are barely comparable because:
- I settled agressively the wheat and silver to get commerce tile and beeline HBR asap. I got it ~1280 BC. And I caught Stalin pants down. He only had archers.
Mids kept him busy and GW too. And that site I claimed as second site changed his settling plans, so he never settled by copper in a direct way. And his iron was claimed too late because of the late border pop.

So, not only he did not bother with Mids and he got iron and copper along several units, I think from that point, you either capture his weakest cities and claim peace (but the risk of peacevassaling is high) or gun for cuirassiers. The lack of Mids makes him less attractive too. Once I saw the Mids message around 1000 BC in my game, it was ascertained he had to fall.

I really think your game can be a winning one because:
mainly unilateral religious block.
Ramsesses will help you in tech trading once capitulated (he helped me a bit in any case).
You will encounter another unknown AI soon...
Just trade and make your way up to cuirassiers.

Random thoughts:

Vandal is a cute defense spot against Stalin if he goes Wheoon. I think better farm instead in case. Avoiding future cottage pillaging.
I think I would have kept the GProphet for GA. Because Willem is infecting the whole world, Confu won't be popular ever, so no extension of shrine power. Music will likely fall into unknown civ's hands.

And HA's in stock is never bad as, after getting GMerchant, you may upgrade them into cuirassiers.

Try work non river cottage for capital. I fell into the same trap too. 1 food > 1 more commerce.

Ganzhou is an example of a city working so-so tiles (like lake and forest) and better help capital for future super bureaucratic capital.

Anyways, I think you shouldn't throw the towel yet. And if you help Willem has Shwedagon Paya. Sure it is risky to see him fall into free religion (he will do it anyway) and that moment will bring apart SB and Willem. Could help you to trigger a war via WHEEON. And if SB is annoyed with Willem and you friendly, then you can bribe him against Willem. This is what I did before backstabbing SB as a good friend...a la Shaka.

Spoiler :

Thank you for the feedback. Indeed after looking at this after the fact, I think I should just hang back and go for curiassiers. I hate to do this after wasting time building stables and researching for HAs but sometimes you have to be flexible and cut your losses. Regarding the great prophet, this is another case of overlapping strategies. The shrine was built in preparation for the HA rush. I figured the extra gold per turn would be a big help short term after doubling the size of my empire. If I was planning to go peaceful I would have used him for something else.

Also, sorry for misunderstanding, but were you telling me I should cottage the non-river tiles in my capital or I shouldn't? I generally don't cottage non-rivers unless I am financial.

I have to say to you, shakabrade, ...bluntly *hiccup*.
You annoy me bywith your nice skills...:hmm: *hiccup* *pitching the bottle*

jk

Spoiler :

Also, sorry for misunderstanding, but were you telling me I should cottage the non-river tiles in my capital or I shouldn't? I generally don't cottage non-rivers unless I am financial.

Spoiler :

Yes, I tended to think the same way in the past, but now I prefer (after working all riverside grass tiles to work grass tiles over riverside plain tiles). One commerce is not big deal over a food over the hammer. You grow faster and food is all. If hammers bureaucratic bonus was multiplicative, perhaps, I would think differently, but food is better first.
Another point is working non beneficial tiles over a possible capital tiles for growing another cottage.
I think a bureaucratic capital should always be taken care with intense micro if everything else is play along the general lines of a strategy.
But coming from someone obsessed with micro, that advice is a tad over acceptable for fast playing.

^^^^

Just kidding about my nice skills? , thank you very much...

Will finish this game probably next week since I have very little free time left and want to try out Toku game. :devil:

15 days have passed and the next installment will come soon (1-3 days).
My own shadow is added in the opening post for easy reading without actually possessing the game.
Of course, this does not mean no one can post their games anymore.

It only means the next installment will come soon for more surprises on a fractal map.

You shall embrace Brennus the Isolated. :crazyeye:

Someone may find the pace a bit shorty, but with 2 games a month, you have latitude to try the game that fits best to what you may find fun for those who bears deity. Now, I am starting to find this difficulty tolerable...

Once i get abit more time to play I'll probably catch up on the series :)

50ad
Spoiler :

I decided to take Tachy's advice and give up the HA rush in favor of going for lib. I immediately switched my research over to take a shot at music and I was able to win the artist in 175bc. I made a trade for marble from Sitting Bull for a couple of resources. Failed the great library, the parthenon, and the MoM, plus I am in the process of building the sistine chapel. I haven't decided if I want to build that one or just fail it for more gold. So now its 50ad, i'm 5 turns into my golden age and I have one scientist with a second on the way. I'm still without an academy in my capital so one of the scientists will build it while the other will help me towards education.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Qin the dazzling AD-0050.CivBeyondSwordSave
    282.7 KB · Views: 33
^
Spoiler :

Some advices.
Either build a chariot in a city with stable and rax, then promotes it Flanking I and Sentry or use your HA in Beijing that has 5 XPs that could still be used.
Then go towards Stalin border next to Suleiman. With that, perhaps, you may meet other AI's WB. I did that without knowing their existence, but Suleiman's proclivity to tech trade without knowing any AI in my continent hinted me something is up there.

Watch out Shangai, it's working two non-improved tile, while the capital's BFC has one non-assigned cottage due to Nanjing pumping GScientist. Otherwise, all nice. Sistine for fail gold or deny culture to AI.

Charging Stalin with cuirassiers is not very attractive because of his stupid Chicken Pizza and did not even tried the Mids for Police State.

Willem should go first.

Bribing Willem off with Ramesses?

Top Bottom