Inflation - How does it happen in Civ4

icecool

Warlord
Does anyone have information on Inflation in Civ4.

I've seen it going up in my games but I've not beeen able to find any infomation about what actually casues it.

I've checked the manual and tried a search here but was not able to find anything - could be blind and dumb though so please be kind if I am ;)

Please help if you can.

Thanks Ice:cool:

Inflation is something of a 'fudge factor' so that upkeep increases over the course of the game. There's nothing you can really do to affect it, and it isn't a very significant expense. I've never seen it rise to more than a couple of gold per city.

I think that maintenance increases the cost of city/unit maintenance as time goes on but I could easily be wrong as I've never read anything about it coming from an official source.

On one of my games Inflation was 99 and I still have no idea why.....fudge factor...great:mischief:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers, Ice:cool:

i was also wondering what cause the inflation % to change
i dont think # of town is the main cause (it might be one factor)
i seen it go up and down and up again in my games
is there a patern to it? something to do with ur economical stability?
rapid expansion? incr. or decr. in income? :confused:
im sure there is a formula to it:mad:

it is probably like corruption in a city but they disguiced it with another name

In the Game Speed Mod threads I saw that there is an inflation value for the different game speeds. May this have anything to do with the in game inflation?

It sure would be nice to know - it can be a big chunk of your cost and we have zero information about it.

Very fustrating!!!:sad:

Does anyone have any idea??

Cheers, Ice:cool:

I think it has to do with the amount of money you have STOCKPILED. Since stockpiled cash will devalue with time, the more stockpile u have, the larger the hit you will take from inflation. Its a very good concept and entices one to spend their cash [as real world governments do] or face losing some of its value as time goes on!

If you mouse over in F2 screen, you will see the origins of your city maintenace, civic upkeep, and inflation. Basically, inflation = a given percentage (say 31% in 1530 AD) * (city maintenance + civic upkeep). I think the percentage is determined by number of turns and simply goes up, and you can't control it. But you can still drop inflation by decreasing city and civic upkeeps. In another word, the later in the game, the more you want to use cheap civic and drop city upkeep.

Little bit of thread necromancy here, and most of the stuff in this thread isn't entirely applicable to the game since beyond the sword was released. Inflation can now go a lot higher (200%+ has been reported in very late finishing games). Aside from a random event or two there's not much you can do to affect the actual percentage. You have to reduce the maintenance costs they apply to if it's getting expensive, or find other sources of gold.

Oh, and welcome to CFC! [party]

Inflation now affects corporations as well. It's a bit of a bank breaker if your ask me.

Until inflation hits 100%, youre basically getting money back. Towards the start of the game, youll have about 12% inflation, youll get alot of money back so you can actually afford some units. As time goes by, inflation will increase, but so will the wealth of your empire. Trying to make massive armies in the modern age can become extremely expensive in this case, as it is in real life. Its actually a rather ingenious way to do it.:D

You can view it directly in CvPlayer::calculateInflationRate().

As mentioned by Underdawg, it's based on the number of turns elapsed and starts after a certain number of turns have elapsed.

It uses the variables <iInflationPercent> & <iInflationOffset> from CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml and <iInflationPercent> & <iAIPerEraModifier> in CIV4HandicapInfo.xml.

Good luck.

Top Bottom