[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

One thing I noticed about the CtDs is that I could reduce their frequency quite a lot by switching World Builder on and off once early in the game. This seems to take care of the CtD's I used to have starting Turn 10+ that were linked to moving units and exploring (revealing dark tiles). I don't know if others will see the same result, but it did improve game stability a lot in my case, reducing CtD's from one every other turn to maybe one every 50-100 turns. The remaining ones seem to happen more during the AI's turn. Hope it helps.

I had a CtD in my game- it was quite intresting though. I was playing as JAXA, and one of my mercenaries was out exploring. I saw a destroyed colony, but a magnetic storm was in the way, and i sent my mercenary into the storm. As soon as i sent him in, the game crashed.

I run Windows Vista Home Premium, with UAC disabled.

Re. those CTD's -- the longer you play a game, the fewer there are. I does seem they have something to do with exploration or moving units around the map early in the game.

I also noticed that two buildings keep disappearing: the greenhouse and the physics lab. I had to rebuild a lot of those. I think this has to do with theirs graphics. I used to have the same issue in my mods when I used the same graphics for different buildings.

For whatever reason, GP's also tend to disappear from cities if left there. I had to replace five or six Great Engineer units over the course of the game.

Ok, I just disabled the entire XML directory...the disappearing interface is not an XML error. I was so hopeful after reading this post though... :(

The good news is it isn't an XML error. The bad news is that it's an error in one of the other directories of the mod. At least we know one place not to look now.

And, unfortunately, this is where my expertise departs. I have zero experience with Python and less than zilch with the SDK. It could possibly be an error in the resource directory...but didn't someone try disabling that directory too? A real puzzle here...

Also, you weren't kidding when you said the XML files were a mess...whoo! :crazyeye:

Here's a female Japanese name: Chieko Teramura. No, this isn't from an anime or nothing. It's from a learn Japanese book.

Thanks, will be integrated :).

Anime wouldn't be that bad :D.

Ming Liu is Chinese, not Japanese.

Really? Didn't think, that i could "create" a real name :D.

Yes -- my explorers are like that.

The problem will be solved, i got an answer from Shiggs, which helps me :).

There was one AI leader with the "Resourceful" Trait.

After thinking a bit about that, i don't think, it's a problem, so you don't have to look at it in the further games.

There were a couple event-related Python errors during play

Spoiler :
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvEventInterface", line 23, in onEvent

File "CvEventManager", line 194, in handleEvent

File "CvEventManager", line 368, in onBeginGameTurn

File "CvTopCivs", line 241, in turnChecker

File "CvTopCivs", line 104, in showScreen

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'choice'
ERR: Python function onEvent failed, module CvEventInterface

Also found those later on:

Spoiler :

File "CvEventManager", line 368, in onBeginGameTurn

File "CvTopCivs", line 241, in turnChecker

File "CvTopCivs", line 104, in showScreen

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'choice'
Can't find type enum for type tag UNITCLASS_TACTICAL_NUKE

File "CvEventManager", line 490, in onBeginGameTurn

File "CvEventManager", line 2001, in doChooseNewStarAlignment

File "CvEventManager", line 2148, in doStarReligionBonus

NameError: global name 'iMissionary7' is not defined

Thanks for the bug-report. I see, was causes the errors :).

Actually, that was just a crazy idea: I'm currently in an advanced game with EnableVoice = 0. I got several CTDs when entering a Sand/Magnetic Storm, but was able to reload and continue each time. (I don't think the EnableVoice setting is related to the CTDs.)

:( damn. I got also one other message, that it dosn't help.

Anyway, great job so far. I can tell a lot of work went into the maps, civics, units, buttons, graphics and what not.

Near all laudation about the graphics have to go to the great artists here :), i didn't create any unit/leaderhead/resource.

I only noticed - apart from the CTDs - that several names, nouns and adjectives aren't correctly spelled (like Marsian instead of Martian, american instead of American, etc).

Okay, will be fixed :). Please report all problems with the translation.
Adjectives: Yes, i made some mistakes with the grammar, and it will need some time to fix it :(.

I'm also a bit confused about the Panzer Kunst religion (which translates to Armor Art)... Are you planning to include more Mars-style religions in the future?

For the background (civilopedia-text will be done...i hope): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_Kunst

Mars-style religions: I thought about it.
Through the developing somebody mentiond, that the people wouldn't lose their "earth-religions", when they move to mars.
-> it would not be realistic to kick out christianity, islam, judaism and hinduism. I also thought, that the shintoism would be present on mars.
-> 5 Slots filled.
Buddhism is in there, because it would be more work to remove it, and it is not very unrealistic, but it can be replaced, if there's an good suggestion.
The 2 new religions came through one anima-fan (the panzer kunst), and the brotherhood of mars seems to be an "insider" (i hope i can get the background-story), but it fits good.
-> 7 Religions, one can be replaced, if there are good suggestions.
-> Problem: I have only 15 civilizations, how much religions should there be? I think, 8 are actually to much, but i don't wont to delete some.

EDIT: Noticed 4 more things;

- Settlers seem to be buildable in a limited amount (is this intended as a standard feature?)
- the Satellites aren't really airborne (can't pass over Mountains/water, visibility identical to ground units) and they appear in groups of 11 with the standard graphics setting
- the Assassin doesn't really have Hidden Nationality.

1) Yes, it is mentioned in the civilopedia: You need more oxygen and (water or ice) than you have cities, to build settlers.
I thought, this would be realistic, and it would make the resources more important.
Moritz was so nice to write the code for me :).
2/3) -> will be fixed.

EDIT: Noticed 4 more things;

- Spies, when kept in their home city, tend to disappear (they have to be rebuilt several times over)

I also noticed that two buildings keep disappearing: the greenhouse and the physics lab. I had to rebuild a lot of those. I think this has to do with theirs graphics. I used to have the same issue in my mods when I used the same graphics for different buildings.

For whatever reason, GP's also tend to disappear from cities if left there. I had to replace five or six Great Engineer units over the course of the game.

What? Savegame? Can you reproduce that?

Hello !
Wonderful work ! :D
But I got lot of CTD and I have to save almost every turn and reload to play as well. I was playing large map. I think it's not a RAM problem cause I have 4 GB. So what ?
I have 3.17 too.:cry:

Keep on trying, you'll get there !

Pascal.

I'm sorry :(. Near all people are having problems with CtDs, and i don't know, what causes them.
It seems, that it's different from every user. Some here can play more than 100 turns, or more than 1 hour, but other can't play 1 round.

Hmm...... I installed the Hotfix, but it doesn't work. There are still CTD's after one or three turns.

-> already noticed.

while loading a bug appears : "can't load the main theme" and it crashes.. any tips please... :(

Installation
It's a .zip-Folder. To install, unzip it, and move it to C:\Programm Files\CivIV\BtS\Mods-Folder.
DON'T PUT IT IN CUSTOM ASSETS.
DON'T RENAME IT. The name of the folder has to be "marsjetzt-v02".

One of this is the solution :)

One thing I noticed about the CtDs is that I could reduce their frequency quite a lot by switching World Builder on and off once early in the game. This seems to take care of the CtD's I used to have starting Turn 10+ that were linked to moving units and exploring (revealing dark tiles). I don't know if others will see the same result, but it did improve game stability a lot in my case, reducing CtD's from one every other turn to maybe one every 50-100 turns. The remaining ones seem to happen more during the AI's turn. Hope it helps.

This is really confusing, but i hope, it can help some people.
I really don't know, why it helps :confuesed:.

Tried another game. This time one CtD around Turn 75 (I think...) when I moved one of my mercenary units onto a stack of my own units in enemy territory. No obvious reason here why the game crashed.

I had a CtD in my game- it was quite intresting though. I was playing as JAXA, and one of my mercenaries was out exploring. I saw a destroyed colony, but a magnetic storm was in the way, and i sent my mercenary into the storm. As soon as i sent him in, the game crashed.

Also some people from the german forum also mentioned this, i've seen this too in my testgames...but also no idea, why :(.
It doesn't seem to be related with goody huts, sandstorms/magnetstorms or other features/terrain.
When you wait one round, you can move the units on the plots, on which you wanted them to be in the last round, at it doesn't crash. Damn.

Ok, I just disabled the entire XML directory...the disappearing interface is not an XML error. I was so hopeful after reading this post though... :(

The good news is it isn't an XML error. The bad news is that it's an error in one of the other directories of the mod. At least we know one place not to look now.

And, unfortunately, this is where my expertise departs. I have zero experience with Python and less than zilch with the SDK. It could possibly be an error in the resource directory...but didn't someone try disabling that directory too? A real puzzle here...

Also, you weren't kidding when you said the XML files were a mess...whoo! :crazyeye:

Yes, i'm sorry about my organization :(.
The error seems to be python-related, but no idea, where it is exactly :(.
I'll have to re-do it at the weekend, and i'll release a patch, and i hope, it will be fixed (but it's really not sure).
Didn't get a answer from Primordial Stew yet, but i'm hoping.

-----------------

I'll release a patch at the weekend (for all mentioned things), i don't have enought time at the moment.

Near all laudation about the graphics have to go to the great artists here :), i didn't create any unit/leaderhead/resource.

I realize that, but you included them.;)

1) Yes, it is mentioned in the civilopedia: You need more oxygen and (water or ice) than you have cities, to build settlers.

Ah, OK. Cool feature!

What? Savegame? Can you reproduce that?

Parks also need to be rebuilt.

As regards disappearing Spies in home cities: I even tried loading them into Hover transports, but they still disappear.

I've started a new game on the 18 civ Marsmap (Riesig = Huge and there aren't 18 civs on the map, though you can choose from any of 18 civs) after quitting with less than 100 turns left; so far no CTDs at all.

Keep it up!:thumbsup:

WTF? Something this good was on the forum for 3 days now and I failed to notice it?
Downloading...

hey mate.. i've tried everything.. renamed the folders like you said and that but the bug remains.. please try to fix it for the next update.. i'll apreciatte it :)

I run Windows Vista Home Premium, with UAC disabled.

I have a save if you want me to upload it.

Hi, very nice mod.
I got the same python error as the first one Ambreville reported thrice.
I got a ctd when moving a recon unit into the fog of war.
I think religion founding is weird (chirstianity founded on Mars?). Do you plan to replace religions with something different, or use Martian religions? Otherwise, flavor-wise, founding hinduism etc. on Mars seems a bit weird.
As far as I saw, one can only build 2 settlers (colonists) and therefore, the game is likely to be very warlike and short?

I could see certain religions being imported to Mars. Specifically the dominant ones on Earth today (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism), but I think there should be slots for "Martian" religions, or at least some new ones. You may want to include some sort of Atheistic Doctrine or something of that ilk, a Martian one would also be pretty cool and then maybe one that you invent completely on your own.

But I think out of the seven religions in the game the four I've mentioned are the most likely to be imported to Mars (At least on a larger scale).

Wow! This looks absolutely stunning.

My main advice would be to look at the Planetfall Mod. There's plenty of potential for cross-pollination, and they may have models and artwork which might be of use to you (and vice versa). Depending on your backstory, you may find some of the content in Fury Road useful too.

Regarding your comment about units, civic, etc. with odd names in your first post. If you publish a list of the units you have in the current mod, I'm sure the forum will supply you with plenty of alternative English names.

Regarding the CTD's, I have a lot of experience with these, and I wrote a tool called "civchecker" which can help find the reasons. Please download and try it out at this link.

@ the people with mssing interface: Can you load Thomas' War?

An user there has the same problem, and i want to know, if it's caused by the same reason.

Re disappearing buildings & GP. Here's one of my earlier saves.

What GP is disapperaring?
Maybe i'm too blind, but i can't see him.

Buildings: Was my fault, sorry. I'll fix it.

The technical details, if somebody wants to know them:
Spoiler :
My terraforming-system is using the normal global heating.
When you look at some buildings, there is a change of terraforming-advances. These advances are just renamed meltdowns. The disappearing buildings aren't nuke-immune, so they are destroyed, when there is progress in terraforming.

As regards disappearing Spies in home cities: I even tried loading them into Hover transports, but they still disappear.

Only spies, or other units too?

I've started a new game on the 18 civ Marsmap (Riesig = Huge and there aren't 18 civs on the map, though you can choose from any of 18 civs) after quitting with less than 100 turns left; so far no CTDs at all.

Keep it up!:thumbsup:

But this is driving my crazy. Why does it work on some computers, and on other computers it chrashes every round :confused:?

hey mate.. i've tried everything.. renamed the folders like you said and that but the bug remains.. please try to fix it for the next update.. i'll apreciatte it :)

Are you still getting the error?

I have a save if you want me to upload it.

Is the crash reproducable?
If yes: Please upload it :).

Hi, very nice mod.
I got the same python error as the first one Ambreville reported thrice.
I got a ctd when moving a recon unit into the fog of war.
I think religion founding is weird (chirstianity founded on Mars?). Do you plan to replace religions with something different, or use Martian religions? Otherwise, flavor-wise, founding hinduism etc. on Mars seems a bit weird.

Yes, i know. Because of that, the religion-wonders are renamed to "arrival of", it should represent, that in this city the first followers of these religion arrives from the earth.
I think, the system should be changed more, maybe i'll include the religion-founding through prophets.

As far as I saw, one can only build 2 settlers (colonists) and therefore, the game is likely to be very warlike and short?

I thought, this would be realistic, and it would make the resources more important.

You can build more settlers...if you have the resources :).

I could see certain religions being imported to Mars. Specifically the dominant ones on Earth today (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism), but I think there should be slots for "Martian" religions, or at least some new ones. You may want to include some sort of Atheistic Doctrine or something of that ilk, a Martian one would also be pretty cool and then maybe one that you invent completely on your own.

But I think out of the seven religions in the game the four I've mentioned are the most likely to be imported to Mars (At least on a larger scale).

I've already thought about that :):

Mars-style religions: I thought about it.
Through the developing somebody mentiond, that the people wouldn't lose their "earth-religions", when they move to mars.
-> it would not be realistic to kick out christianity, islam, judaism and hinduism. I also thought, that the shintoism would be present on mars.
-> 5 Slots filled.
Buddhism is in there, because it would be more work to remove it, and it is not very unrealistic, but it can be replaced, if there's an good suggestion.
The 2 new religions came through one anima-fan (the panzer kunst), and the brotherhood of mars seems to be an "insider" (i hope i can get the background-story), but it fits good.
-> 7 Religions, one can be replaced, if there are good suggestions.
-> Problem: I have only 15 civilizations, how much religions should there be? I think, 8 are actually to much, but i don't wont to delete some.

Wow! This looks absolutely stunning.

My main advice would be to look at the Planetfall Mod. There's plenty of potential for cross-pollination, and they may have models and artwork which might be of use to you (and vice versa). Depending on your backstory, you may find some of the content in Fury Road useful too.

I've played both in earlier versions :D.

I will not take content from fury road for the background story, i want the earth to be undestroyed :).

Regarding your comment about units, civic, etc. with odd names in your first post. If you publish a list of the units you have in the current mod, I'm sure the forum will supply you with plenty of alternative English names.

:hmm: yes, good idea :).

Regarding the CTD's, I have a lot of experience with these, and I wrote a tool called "civchecker" which can help find the reasons. Please download and try it out at this link.

Oh, i forgot to give you credit :D.
Civcheck was one of the last things i tried (should have checked my code earlier), and it helped to find some missing files, and useless unit-classes.
The reason for the most remaining errors is, that i'm linking some art-files from final frontier directly into the final-frontier-directory (so that i don't have to include them).
Could this cause errors?
The only (i hope the only) other graphical error i get, is that there are some problems with one resource and the plotLSystem.xml (but it will be fixed).

Since google has a klingon interface, I will not be surprised if they have found some Klingon holy relics on Mars from a crashed spacecraft or from a failed mission to set an outpost there.

I refered to a possible new religion on Mars, which was a door opened a few posts above. If that makes sense.

???
Although i loaded the game up exactly the same way, and moved exactly the same way as the last time i tried to reproduce it, it did NOT crash when i tried it again. I had tried it twice, and both times it crashed, but this time it worked perfectly fine.
Here's the save anyways:

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-2143-July.CivBeyondSwordSave
    62.2 KB · Views: 180
???
Although i loaded the game up exactly the same way, and moved exactly the same way as the last time i tried to reproduce it, it did NOT crash when i tried it again. I had tried it twice, and both times it crashed, but this time it worked perfectly fine.
Here's the save anyways:

thta stuff happens to me on othe rmods when there are graphics glitches :mad:

What GP is disapperaring?
Maybe i'm too blind, but i can't see him.

That's because he disappeared... (okay, just kidding you here). I must have given you a save file that had already lost its GP's. Sorry about that. Just add a few great engineers via worldbuilder and run the game several turns.

Only spies, or other units too?

The great persons and I suspect the "hoverformers" as well.

The reason for the most remaining errors is, that i'm linking some art-files from final frontier directly into the final-frontier-directory (so that i don't have to include them).
Could this cause errors?

I don't have Final Frontier on my computer anymore. Could this be the source of my CtD's then???

Top Bottom