Idea: Special resources linked to new Unique Units

Pedantica

Chieftain
This was an idea that I used in a mod I made for my own copy of Civ 3. Sorry I never got around to actually releasing it. However the idea seemed to work and add fun to the game. And I think it would work well with Civ 4 particular within the range of Mods currently being produced.

Essentially the idea was to add a few additional strategic resources to the game which appear in only a few places on the world map. Each of these resources allows the creation of a Unique Unit, which may either be an upgraded version of a standard unit or something completely new. As a result only 2 or 3 civilizations ever got to build these units.

Naturally these resources being very rare made particularly attractive strategic targets leading to mid-game strategy changes when the resource appears on the map in the possession of a civilization you hadn't previously had a good reason to invade.

Not being particularly good at modifying animated graphics files I used units graphics available from some of the scenario expansions in Civ 3. And ended up with the following additional units:

Resource - Unit (description)

Amber - Longships (upgraded Trireme)
Sulfur - Fire Catapult (upgraded catapult*) *could have added collateral damage in Civ 4.
Sake - Ronin (special unit from the Japan scenario)
Jade - Ninja (special unit from the Japan scenario)
Rum - Pirates (upgraded Privateer)
Limes - Ship of the Line/Man of War (upgraded Frigate)
Tea - Gurkas (upgraded Infantry unit)

I'm sure there are lots of other examples people could think up with all the richness of Civ 4 which could add variety and fun to one of the Mods out there.

Obviously this could lead the the historically anomalous result of say French Ninjas but my rationale was that you know if the French a bunch of Jade they could effectively hire them. :crazyeye:

Thoughts?

Why do two of the three mercenary-type units have alcohol as their price?

Regarding your idea in general, it seems a bit like it may unbalance the game (being stronger = more land = greater chance of finding a unique resource), but it could be a nice twist (particularly if, say, it was "awarded" to the guy in last place once the tech was found). It shouldn't be hard to mod, so it could be tested that way.

Mewtarthio,

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't trying to start an alcohol related theme. Sake had already been included in the Japan scenario for Civ 3 so it was one less resource for me to draw. And Rum seemed like the perfect Pirate-fuel. I'm not wedded to the specific resources and units, any new resources could work, I just thought I'd include them to illustrate the idea.

Regarding the balance issue. Yes it does increase the advantage of larger empires because they are more likely to have more of the resources. But I would say it is fairly marginal against the advantage of having extra access to the key resources already in the game. These are intended as optional bonus units that provide an advantage for the historic period in which they are useful; enough to make them worth having but not so much that they are totally unbalancing.

Many of the mods already affect game balance so this would be another thing to bear in mind when balancing a mod; for example I note that some mods which already provide greater advantages for larger empires have upped the city maintenance cost to balance this.

Top Bottom