War of the Elements

luukjn

Chieftain
War of the Elements
After some time I can finally announce War of the Elements, a mod for Civilization IV Beyond the Sword.

I started this mod a couple of months ago from an idea I was walking around with for a couple of years already (ever since I stopped playing magic: the gathering).
In magic: the gathering there are 5 colours who are the centre of the game. These 5 colours had their own ideas and values. It where not these ideas and values that inspired me in making this mod, but the war they where fighting.

This war has decided all game play additions in this mod.

Features
This mod features the following:
  • 5 Factions
    • Each faction gives their units unique promotions
    • The faction determines who each leader likes or hates
  • 25 leaders
  • 15 civilizations
  • 10 new traits

Screenshots
I have added the screenshots in the spoiler, due to size reasons.
Spoiler :

Factions and their traits

White leader and traits:

Blue leader and traits:

Black leader and traits:

Red leader and traits:

Green leader and traits:

All leaders in the mod use any combination of the above traits, while each leader belongs to exactly one faction.

The relations

The relations of the above leaders:

A view of the Sit-rep:

The above screen shots are the relations when I put lions from every leader around my starting settler/warrior (I was playing Gandhi), to make sure every leader on the map knew of each others existence. The sit-rep screen is from ending my turn once.

Note that I did not change the AI personality's one single bit (you will see in the sit-rep screen that Genghis Khan is willing to declare war on Stalin, despite being pleased towards Stalin).

Included mods
I have included the following mods, and credits go to the mod makers.
  • BUG 4.1
  • Better BTS AI

Download the latest version

Feature Work

Since I'm not very good at story telling myself, and my art skills are bad, the standard civilization graphics are used.
If someone is willing to pick up the project and make some cool graphics for it, that would be great :).
The following is standard in the mod at the moment:
  • Background story for the factions, civilizations and leaders
  • New unit images
  • New leaderhead images
  • Civlization flag images
  • Background image for the main menu
  • New user interface (maybe)

If you are interested in helping out you can drop a message here, or at sourceforge.

You can download the source code and assets from the following SVN repo if you are interested:
source code SVN

Tell us more, I have fond memories of playing magic a few years ago.

I have added screenshots explaining more about the relations and traits of each faction.
I posted this here since the mod is still a work in progress (graphical anyway).

Uh man, that's quite interesting :goodjob:.

I guess, you've based the factions on something logcial like their politics?
Because it could be a good addition to a more realistic diplomacy.

And there might be other modders, who want to incorporate this mod into their own.

Also technical great work :goodjob: (i can't do any python screen myself).

Yes, I have based the factions on "political views". It is well worth reading the following article (and the articles Mark Rosewater links to at the top) to get an idea of these political ideas:
article about the red politics and ideas
When designing the traits I tried to stay as close as possible to the ideas outlined in these articles.

On another note, I just saw that two leader had the wrong traits (Kublai Khan had Chaotic instead of the intended impulsive, and Tokugawa had Impulsive instead of the intended Chaotic). I have rectified this in the new build I just uploaded.

Looks interesting. Are you going to do any dual color leaders? (In Magic my favorite colors were always blue-black.)

Dual colour leaders are already in ;) for blue-black check "the unseen" civilization.

Top Bottom