Who can "upgrade" their obsoleted units?

LordGek

Prince
Hey Gang,

If I understand it correctly only the German and owners of Leonardo's Workshop can upgrade their units to new ones for free, right? Can other Civs at least pay to do this? Lastly, if the German's only get this upgrade once they'd reached Elite status, when is a unit considered Elite?

Hey Gang,

If I understand it correctly only the German and owners of Leonardo's Workshop can upgrade their units to new ones for free, right? Can other Civs at least pay to do this? Lastly, if the German's only get this upgrade once they'd reached Elite status, when is a unit considered Elite?

I don't know why you post in 2 forums :lol:

However, elite means having one upgrade after veteran (blitz, infiltration, march, medic, guerrilla, scout, etc...), only germans and leonardo's workshop can upgrade units, and you can't pay.

However, you should know also that armies can reach only the first elite upgrade (after veteran), then they have to fight ARMIES, single units or barbarians won't give them experience.

With single units, you should take as much experience as you want, because if you kill armies (not luck, this is possible, with arabs perhaps) or many units you can reach many upgrades. Then, you can combine the army and the other two units get every single upgrade.

I don't know why you post in 2 forums :lol:

However, elite means having one upgrade after veteran (blitz, infiltration, march, medic, guerrilla, scout, etc...), only germans and leonardo's workshop can upgrade units, and you can't pay.

However, you should know also that armies can reach only the first elite upgrade (after veteran), then they have to fight ARMIES, single units or barbarians won't give them experience.

With single units, you should take as much experience as you want, because if you kill armies (not luck, this is possible, with arabs perhaps) or many units you can reach many upgrades. Then, you can combine the army and the other two units get every single upgrade.

When I have questions I want answers, dammit! At least I kept it to only two forums as Apolyton seems pretty dead, at least in regards to discussing CivRev. :lol:

Okay, that explains how it seemed a lot harder to get any further experience as an army but it makes some sense. I actually have had a lot of pretty feasible unit vs. army battles (like a veteran catapult vs. an army of warriors) and they are a great way to build up your units before joining into an army.

What is the trick again to getting a Great General? Was it having an army survive against a superior opposing army or is it just random luck after enough battles?

While not like the standard Civ PC games, I actually respect that the units aren't upgraded easily throughout the ages since there already is no maintenance to pay for them it gives the civ that out techs the others with a huge army a fighting chance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you get a Great General if you defeat a superior enemy (You must have some upgrades such as elite and veteran) or if you defend enough times with your offensive units.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you get a Great General if you defeat a superior enemy (You must have some upgrades such as elite and veteran) or if you defend enough times with your offensive units.

You are not wrong. However, it is not a rule to get a GG just because you win against a unit/army that is equal or stronger it is just a prerequisite. There seems to be some kind of randomness to this, or a rule I haven´t read about or noticed myself.

You are not wrong. However, it is not a rule to get a GG just because you win against a unit/army that is equal or stronger it is just a prerequisite. There seems to be some kind of randomness to this, or a rule I haven´t read about or noticed myself.

Yeah, they just describe it as "defeating an opponent against great odds".

Which often can mean that stupid obsoleted unit you essentially "left in the driveway" to slow them down has a great general attached to it. Thankfully the GG's effects apply to everybody in the space even if the unit the GG attached itself is useless.

I got a GG last night on offense. (I thought I had selected a Knight Army. I realized too late it was a solitary Knight. But he pulled off an upset!)

But, while Firaxis hasn't made the details of the algorithm public, there is obviously a random element to it: "If you 'defeat an opponent against great odds', then there is X% chance of getting a GG." So if you get that upset win, the program 'rolls the dice', and if it comes up right, you get the GG.

Top Bottom