US West 1840 to 1900 Development Thread

Okay finally got the file from server #3! I'm good to go please let me know when the MP Beta game is set to go. Once again I'd like Texas. Thanks and I will start trying the solitare version tomorrow.

It says that Salmon is a luxury resource but how do you connect it to your cities? I think it would be better just as a bonus resource and move Gold as a luxury resource.

Im not see any luxury resource on the map and no gold either.

It says that Salmon is a luxury resource but how do you connect it to your cities? I think it would be better just as a bonus resource and move Gold as a luxury resource.

I'm not see any luxury resource on the map and no gold either.

You are right about the salmon and gold, I will change that. The luxury resources now are
gems, eagles, buffalo and furs.

They are on the map, see screen shot, arrow at the bottom points to eagles.

Attachments

• gold_res.JPG
    gold_res.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 112
Gold and Uranium looked too similar, which is why i didn't see them on the map.

Uranium cannot be used in the scenario, so you may see it with the editor, but you will never see it when you play the game.

I will be posting a new .biq file later this weekend.

Note: some numbers have been adjusted since beta66.

These are the units for the "big six" (Dakota, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Oregon,
& California). Units may differ for the Company, Mexico and the Mormons.

1. The Sheriff - every western town needs one of these.
Cost = 10 A/D/M = 2/2/1 -1 Hit Points no resources required

2. Armed Civilians - Cost 1 population point, but can join city once their services are no longer required.
Cost = 15 A/D/M = 1/2/1 +0 Hit Points no resources required

3. Posse (Armed Civilians on horses) - Cost 1 population point, but can join city once their services are no longer required.
Cost = 30 A/D/M = 3/2/2 +0 Hit Points requires horses

4. State Guard - These become available once the "state of the union" tech in researched. This unit can be drafted.
Cost = 32 A/D/M = 2/4/2 +0 Hit Points no resources required

5. US rifleman - Federal military unit with +1 hit point bonus.
A federal armory will auto-produce these units even if you don't have the resource. Can be upgraded, see rifleman 2.
Cost = 65 A/D/M = 3/5/2 salt peter required

6. US rifleman 2 - Federal military unit with +1 hit point bonus. Upgrades to Infantry
An upgrade to the basic rifleman, needs the breech-loading rifle tech.
Cost = 75 A/D/M = 5/7/2 salt peter required

7. US cavalry - Federal military unit with +1 hit point bonus.
Can be upgraded, see cavalry 2.
Cost = 85 A/D/M = 5/4/3 horses required

8. US cavalry 2 - Federal military unit with +1 hit point bonus.
An upgrade to the basic cavalry, needs the repeating rifle tech.
Cost = 95 A/D/M = 6/5/3 horses required

9. Infantry

Note: some numbers have been adjusted since beta66.

1. Light Gun - no tech required, connot be upgraded, no defense str.
Cost = 30 B/range/RoF = 6/1/1 Moves=2 no resources required

2. Parrot Gun - With heavy Ordinace tech, upgrades to artillery, no defense str.
Cost = 60 B/range/RoF = 9/1/1 Moves=2 requires Iron+Salt Peter

3. Siege Gun - With heavy Ordinace tech upgrades to artillery, no defense str.
Cost = 80 B/range/RoF = 15/2/1 Moves=1 requires Iron+Salt Peter

4. Gatling Gun - with gatling gun tech, upgrade to machine gun, has defense str. = 1
Cost = 20 B/range/RoF = 5/1/2 Moves=2 requires Iron

5. Artillery - with mass production, connot be upgraded, no defense str.
Cost = 90 B/range/RoF = 12/2/2 Moves=2 requires Iron + Coal

6. Machine Gun - with machine gun tech, cannot be upgraded, has defense str. = 2
Cost = 30 B/range/RoF = 6/1/2 Moves=2 requires Iron

In addition to the resource changes discussed earlier, the most important change was
to worker jobs, making railroads more difficult to build. It was far to easy to cover the map in
railroads.
Also adjusted the cost and hit points for some unit, they now match the values in the unit tutorial
posts.

These are some special units for the Company, Mexico and the Mormons.

1. Guardia (Mexico) - no tech required
Cost = 15 A/D/M = 1/2/1 -1 Hit Points, no resources required

2. Federales (Mexico) - Available with the Junta 3 tech.
Cost = 30 A/D/M = 3/4/2 +0 Hit Points, requires saltpeter

3. Redcoat (The Company) - No tech required
Cost = 60 A/D/M = 3/4/2 +1 Hit Points, no resources required

4. Fur Trapper (The Company) - No tech required
Cost = 5 A/D/M = 1/1/1 -1 Hit Points, no resources required

5. Canadian Militia (The Company) - Available with the Confederation tech
Cost = 22 A/D/M = 2/4/2 -1 Hit Points, no resources required

6. RCMP Constable (The Company) - Available with the Confederation tech
Cost = 12 A/D/M = 1/2/2 -1 Hit Points, Requires horses

7. Territorial Militia (The Mormons) - Available with the Compromise of 1850
Cost = 26 A/D/M = 2/4/2 -1 Hit Points, no resources required

Eric I had started a trial single game using the 66.biq and now you have the 67 version. Do you suggest starting a new game then?

It costs only 40 shields to build Army. I beleive it should be more expensive.

I'll be posting a few observations and suggestions for possible additions for consideration later this evening. So far I have played several years as; Texas, Missouri, and Mexico.

Love the idea of the scenario Eric is putting together! Some observations;

The amount of resources seem to be a slim side. Would like to see more luxuries. Also would expect to see more horses, cattle, and bison. Now it is possible these exist in other regions that I haven't played (northern, far west). Bison in particular should exist in good quantities from the northern border all the way to west Texas. Wheat seems to be in lessor quantities than I expected.

Some additions that might be fun as well as appropriate might include; Texan Rangers as a substitute for US Cavalry in Texas. I'm struggling with the concept of US Cavalry that Texas, Missouri build and have them in conflict with other US areas. Makes sense in conflict with the Mexicans, Indians, and Canadians though. I also think the US territories shouldn't start off with US Cavalry units until statehood. I might be off-base on my thoughts but wanted to share them for discussion.

The other idea I had with the Mexicans is including Mexico on the map?

And I think it might be a plus to add a first level tech called Mining as it was such a part of what drove expansion and conflict in the region. Once you build it could allow one to build the "improved mine" that doubles the output a mine. If deemed a good idea then Mexicans should start with this tech already researched.

That leads me to a new bonus resource of silver. Silver was king in Mexico and the west in the time of this scenario along with gold. Perhaps the Mining tech can make visible gold, silver, and gem tiles. Mexicans again would be the only ones starting off with the tech and several operational silver mines.

So I hope this spurs others' comments. I'll be trying out California tonight and will post comments after getting several years played. I'm playing about 8 years for each civ. And last comment....the Indians don't seem that numerous at the start and perhaps a little under strength starting off???

More to follow and so far no crashes so seems well tempered! :goodjob:

Ok Eric, In a single player game I established a harbor on the southern most tile in the Texas Territory guessing it to be on the gulf coast. I had two other harbors along the California coast. And I did not get any trade benefit between the two harbors. So then I researched Invention thinking that was needed to link harbors and nothing? Am I missing something Eric?

Otherwise I hesitate to upgrade to US State gov as the Hudsons continuously create alliances to take out California!!!! YIKES! Doesn't anyone like a peaceful neighbor?????

Anyone else debugging the scenario and finding things???

Ok Eric, In a single player game I established a harbor on the southern most tile in the Texas Territory guessing it to be on the gulf coast. I had two other harbors along the California coast. And I did not get any trade benefit between the two harbors. So then I researched Invention thinking that was needed to link harbors and nothing? Am I missing something Eric?

Otherwise I hesitate to upgrade to US State gov as the Hudsons continuously create alliances to take out California!!!! YIKES! Doesn't anyone like a peaceful neighbor?????

Well that's because there is no gulf coast in this game.

I agree the company can be a pain if you are playing one of the west coast territories.
However, remember you are in a locked alliance with Oregon, when the company
attacks you this will cause Oregon to declare war on the company. Also you want to
get into a war fairly early to make the most of your golden age. Your prospectors will
trigger a golden age when they win a combat. When I see one of those redcoats coming
I fortify some prospectors in the mountains and let them get attacked.

Since the military units (US riflemen, US cavalry) are only regiments, the armies aren't really armies, they are only divisions.

Eric, during that period, it was extremely rare for an entire regiment to be in the same place at the same time. The Army was scattered all over the country, although the cavalry was predominately in the West, in small posts and forts, typically with 2 to 3 companies of a given regiment. To assemble a regiment completely would take a fair amount of time along with a considerable cost in transport. To assemble two or more regiments fully was even more difficult. I would recommend keeping the cost of an Army at 400 shields, to reflect the amount of effort it would take to concentrate a large number of troops.

I will try to post some actual expedition compositions to show what I mean.

As a side note, in both 1876 and 1878, Congress failed to appropriate money to pay the troops, which made things more than a bit sticky for the officers, as money had been appropriated to feed the enlisted force, but the officers were expected to pay for their rations and food out of their pay. There were also attempts to abolish West Point, and in one case, to abolish the Army and replace it with militia units. The period from 1866 to 1898 was quite interesting in terms of the Army organization, aside from the Indian Wars.

With respect to a trade benefit between the Gulf Coast and the Pacific Coast, even if it were possible, your shipping route had to pass around South America, via either the Straits of Magellan or south of Cape Horn (not the safest way to go unless really desperate). The Panama Canal did not exist until 1914, although the French did try to build one in the 1880s.

Top Bottom