The Falkland Islands

Excellent reading, thanks for the link. I mean no disrespect to them by this at all, but I couldn't but help think of C.W. McCall's "Convoy" when reading of Trudi's caravan of ammunition! Rubber Duck, even!

This brought a smile to my face.

There was also psychological propaganda. When the Gurkhas arrived in the Falklands, Eric told the Argentines they were fearsome fighters. "When you wake up in the morning, just shake your head. If it falls off, the Gurkhas have been around."

http://www.falklands.info/history/hist82article19.html

I guess this is a regional thing. I can't see it changing anyone's mind here- or, at least, not beyond the extent to which it would re-enforce an already existing trend towards the SNP. (And at this point it seems that no government minister can so much as draw breath without dropping another vote into Salmond's hands.)

imperialman is Scottish...

Argentina want to rename their football league after the General Belgrano which was sunk 2 May 1982.

From BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17033735
Ah, yes, the General Belgrano, the sinking of which was a war crime, never mind… don't worry, after Mr. Kirchner's death in 2010 the championship was renamed 'Torneo Néstor Kirchner - Copa Malvinas Argentinas'. So far, they're doing this diplomatic war of words. Maybe they're trying some sort of necromancy to bring Mr. Kirchner back to life? :run:

The Argentines are good to the sheep… :groucho: wanna risk that?

We'll get the Scots
I see that and raise you St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (it's so Scottish they even play the bagpipes and the place is cold, draughty and wet during the summer) and
Kan' Sharuminar said:
and the Welsh over.
and the [wiki=Y Wladfa]Patagonian Welsh![/WIKI]
Out of curiousity, is the correct for Agentine or Argentinian or are both good?
Apparently it should be 'Argentine' for stuff (as an adjective) and 'Argentinians' for the people themselves (noun) but I've heard people use both words indiscriminately.

I see that and raise you St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (it's so Scottish they even play the bagpipes and the place is cold, draughty and wet during the summer) and

Yeah, but we'll give you the actual Scots and the Welsh :lol:

I'd offer for Mise and myself to come over, but I don't think he would agree...

Ah, yes, the General Belgrano, the sinking of which was a war crime, never mind… don't worry, after Mr. Kirchner's death in 2010 the championship was renamed 'Torneo Néstor Kirchner - Copa Malvinas Argentinas'. So far, they're doing this diplomatic war of words. Maybe they're trying some sort of necromancy to bring Mr. Kirchner back to life? :run:

It's late here so I'm sorry if I missed the sarcasm, but, do you actually believe that the sinking was a war crime?

For anyone who is interested in the legal status of the sinking:

"The Belgrano was sunk outside the 200-nautical-mile (370 km) total exclusion zone around the Falklands. Exclusion zones are historically declared for the benefit of neutral vessels; during war, under international law, the heading and location of a belligerent naval vessel has no bearing on its status. In addition, the captain of the Belgrano, Héctor Bonzo, has testified that the attack was legitimate (as did the Argentine government in 1994).

Though the ship was outside the 200-mile (370 km) exclusion zone, both sides understood that this was no longer the limit of British action—on 23 April a message was passed via the Swiss Embassy in Buenos Aires to the Argentine government, it read:
In announcing the establishment of a Maritime Exclusion Zone around the Falkland Islands, Her Majesty's Government made it clear that this measure was without prejudice to the right of the United Kingdom to take whatever additional measures may be needed in the exercise of its right of self-defence under Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. In this connection Her Majesty's Government now wishes to make clear that any approach on the part of Argentine warships, including submarines, naval auxiliaries or military aircraft, which could amount to a threat to interfere with the mission of British Forces in the South Atlantic will encounter the appropriate response. All Argentine aircraft, including civil aircraft engaged in surveillance of these British forces, will be regarded as hostile and are liable to be dealt with accordingly.

Interviews conducted by Martin Middlebrook for his book, The Fight For The Malvinas, indicated that Argentine Naval officers understood the intent of the message was to indicate that any ships operating near the exclusion zone could be attacked. Argentine Rear Admiral Allara, who was in charge of the task force that the Belgrano was part of, said "After that message of 23 April, the entire South Atlantic was an operational theatre for both sides. We, as professionals, said it was just too bad that we lost the Belgrano".

Admiral Enrique Molina Pico, head of the Argentine Navy in the 1990s, wrote in a letter to La Nación, published in the 2 May 2005 edition, that the Belgrano was part of an operation that posed a real threat to the British task force, that it was holding off for tactical reasons, and that being outside of the exclusion zone was unimportant as it was a warship on tactical mission. This is the official position of the Argentine Navy.

The modified rules of engagement permitted the engagement of Belgrano outside the exclusion zone before the sinking."

Yeah, but we'll give you the actual Scots and the Welsh :lol:

I'd offer for Mise and myself to come over, but I don't think he would agree...
The Scots won't come because it's too expensive. And we could lure them over with one of the widest selection of sausages (blood sausages included) that you can find. After last year, I wouldn't challenge Argentina to a game of rugby if I were you. ;)

as for the Welsh… they're Welsh. No threat at all. :mischief:
It's late here so I'm sorry if I missed the sarcasm, but, do you actually believe that the sinking was a war crime?
Sarcastic, me? Where? :mischief:

In all seriousness, I was just doing a bit of a mockery of the position of some of the more… recalcitrant sectors of Argentine public opinion.
War itself is a crime but that's not valid from a legal point of view.

Oh, I see you've posted the same thing I was about to rip from Wikipedia just to clarify. Took too long over the post itself.

Still more real Welsh than Patagonian Welsh, brah, so unfortunately they'd side with the real'uns on sheer numbers :(

The Scots won't come because it's too expensive. And we could lure them over with one of the widest selection of sausages (blood sausages included) that you can find.

But they're right here. There's a lovely place that does breakfast not a fifteen minute walk from where I live :mischief:

After last year, I wouldn't challenge Argentina to a game of rugby if I were you. ;)

Whose side are you on, anyway? :(

Still more real Welsh than Patagonian Welsh, brah, so unfortunately they'd side with the real'uns on sheer numbers :(
Not sure 'bout that. Argentina could offer you a deal: they take in all the Welsh except Mise as a compensation for taking the Falklands away from you. Sort of a zero-sum game.
But they're right here. There's a lovely place that does breakfast not a fifteen minute walk from where I live :mischief:
Could you pay for my fare there?

You still should come here and taste the enormous variety in the selection of sausages, you won't regret it.
Kan' Sharuminar said:
Whose side are you on, anyway? :(
How many times do I have to post that I'm Devil's Advocate for Argentina?
The same question applies to you, you're supposed to support Septic and be anti-British Empire. Riiiight?

imperialman is Scottish...
That I am, that I am. :)
Wel in that case, I simply don't know what you're talking about, because I haven't met anyone who gives half a damn about the sad little rocks.

Sean Penn is just wrong. It's surprising really because there is literally like...no logical, reasonable argument for Argentinian control over the islands (as we have seen in this very thread!). It is probably one of the most clear cut cases of right and wrong in international relations today. Yet he still comes up with silly stuff like that, so i suggest he is either a) stupid, b) utterly ignorant of the actual situation c) anti-British (is Penn an Irish surname):p how many generations removed from immigrants is he?! :lol:
Well, put it this way: were the British in the habit of naming entire colonies after Irishmen? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom