Civ4: No custom units or buildings=Crap game. Everyone go back to Civ3

Er...this thread somehow reminds me of those ppl who go to the restaurant, order a fine meal and upon receival add salt and pepper and vinegar before having tried what the "unmodded" food was like.
Imo it's a bit soon for a)saying you can't add new units and b)for adding new units.
Wait until it's a week old or so, then start...*g*

There's nothing wrong with wanting to take it apart and figure out how it works from the moment you take it out of the box... the problem is when you're not even willing to learn how it works... and then turn around and start criticizing everyone else when you could just as easily have gotten frustrated, given up and tossed it aside quietly without exposing the size of your ego by announcing to everyone that you're not taking part...

It's like a four-year-old who wants everybody to know that he's upset about something and that we all have to stop what we're doing and pay attention to him.

I mean, I'm sure there are a number of people who have decided they want to hold on to Civ3 for a while... but they have the common decency and good sense not to make a public spectacle of themselves.

It's like a four-year-old who wants everybody to know that he's upset about something and that we all have to stop what we're doing and pay attention to him.

I mean, I'm sure there are a number of people who have decided they want to hold on to Civ3 for a while... but they have the common decency and good sense not to make a public spectacle of themselves.
Nicely put :)

If you poeple think that civilization 4 is hard to modify and you want to stick to Civilization 3, then just do it but there is no reason to make a public statement that everyone should just stick with civilization 3 becuase you think civilization 4 crap.

It doesn't? I'll still buy this, because maybe you overlooked something, and I can return it, you know. Then, I'll just continue working on a mod I stopped a while ago on Civ3. :p

vingrjoe said:
Lord Shadow, pull your head out of your rear end. As you said, you can add *new* units to CivIV thru XML using the stock Civ4 3D models, but you cannot add new 3D models for new units as of yet. And yes, you can add custom units and graphics to Civ3. I don't recognize you as a unit creator. So before you open your mouth about unit creation, fully understand what you're talking about. Now, if you like the game, that is fine. I have no problem with people enjoying CivIV, and I don't expect them to share my feelings. It just didn't live up to my personal expectations.
I meant by default, within the game, like in SMAC, not through modding. You could always mod almost everything. The original poster expected hundreds of unit models already made and just waiting to be added into Civ4. Here's some news: units don't miraculously appear out of nowhere, someone has to make them!

I never talked about models in my post, nor I said anything to you because you don't like the game.

Good job, insulting me for stuff I didn't even say. It seems you are the one with the head stuck in that place. :rolleyes:

Lord Shadow, I apologize to you.

I got a different impression from your post than what you meant to imply.

Bah! My copy is at home or I would know. Good luck converting and unit making!

PS: people who want to stick with the vanilla graphics: BAH! You fools! Vanilla is the base model version from which our modders work to create art. Its like a canvas!

Give them a few weeks and then see if you want to stick with out of the box pictures ;p

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Well I've been doing alittle thinking. Does any of the other poser people know if Poser can export in Nif format..I think Poser 6 can..

I am pretty sure that only Maya/3ds max can export to the NIF file format. Those I do believe Poser does save keyframe animation files so all you would have to do is export the model to maya/3ds max format. Give that along with the keyframe animation files to a person with said program to export into a .nif file.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Well I can say that there will be probably two methods of unit creation here when the tools become availilbe to make them: 1. Reskinned units, like what you can see in Freedom Force, and 2. Completely new units, like in Civ3.

The problem with the whole Civ3 C&C vs Civ4 C&C comparison is the time involved making said graphics. It is going to take more time to creat a unit for example in Civ4 then it did in Civ3. So in the four years that Civ3 has been in ciculation their are thousands of unit, and hundreds of other graphics. Who honestly believes that in that same amount of time there will be equivelent numbers in Civ4?

Unless unit creators are willing to make generic units for others, though do not possess the necessary 3d application or skill, could verily well be talents artistically to make some great looking skins. What Civ4 needs it a base library of units that would allow anyone to reskin them to what they will. Yes I am aware that units could be just reskinned from what people make and upload, but that doesn't mean they wished for it to be changed or modified in any way.

Gaias said:
The problem with the whole Civ3 C&C vs Civ4 C&C comparison is the time involved making said graphics. It is going to take more time to creat a unit for example in Civ4 then it did in Civ3. So in the four years that Civ3 has been in ciculation their are thousands of unit, and hundreds of other graphics. Who honestly believes that in that same amount of time there will be equivelent numbers in Civ4?

I'm going to argue with you here (just so you are warned). Firstly, I see no reason why creating a unit for Civ 4 will take any longer that creating one for Civ 3.

There are some things that will take longer, I accept (making the model low enough poly, and probably the textures), but the whole exporting gubbins, with the pallete, and the storyboard, and the rendering.... uurgh, just thinking about it gives me the shivers. Anyway, that whole exporting gubbins will be GONE! That was the main reason I stopped making untis for Civ 3. The first bits were fun, and then you actually had to turn it into a unit, and it was so amazingly boring it hurt.

I think creating units will be an all round more fun experience with Civ 4. I hope that it will be able to be done freely, without having to fork out cash for big programs, but even if it can't, I think the units created will rival the amount created for Civ 3, if not top it.

Like The Great Apple said, it's actually *easier* to make units for a full 3d game than it is to make 3d units for a 2d game. You have to texture the models either way, and you do possibly have to do a little more work lowering poly count (but I bet the Civ4 models are at least a coupleathree k polys), but you completely bypass the conversion step.

Given the same amount of time, I expect the same amount of units or more produced for Civ4. Don't forget that it wasn't until well over a year had passed before the units really started flowing for Civ3.

I seriously, seriously doubt you will be able to convert poser models into .nif files.

1) poser meshes are in the 10's of 1000's (I think... ) of polys

2) The civ IV units appear to be no more thatn 200 polys.

Top Bottom