Commanders v. 0.1

killmeplease

Mk Z on Steam
Commanders v.1.0 beta fix 1

Description
This modcomp gives GGs a new function: increase abilities of other units in the stack. Each time any unit wins a battle, GG standing on its plot receives XP. He gets levels and obtains promotions as ordinary units do, but his promotions affect all units in his stack. See pictures below for clearness.

Here is an army headed by the great general with a few promotions:

Jaguar warrior receives +3% combat strength from the great general's promotions:

Commander gets experience when units of his army win battles. he also has a limited control points, this mean that no more than [control points] units will receive commander's boost during a game turn. control points are being restored to their maximum value each next turn.

Commander gets levels and can obtain various promotions increasing your army's strength:

If there are 2 and more GGs on a plot, only one will receive XP (more skilled one). Commanders (Great Generals) have 2 abilities: control points that were mentioned above, and command range. Command range is a minimal distance between commander and some unit required for this unit to take commander's bonuses. Commander starts with zero command range, this mean he can boost only those units standing on the same plot with him. Command range can be expanded by taking certain promotions.

In this mod there are 17 commander promotions (but you can easily add more by editing PromotionInfos):
Spoiler :

Operations I: +1 command range, +5 control points

Operations II: +1 command range, +5 control points

Operations III: +1 command range, +5 control points, +5% heal in neutral lands

Operations IV: +10 control points, +5% heal in enemy lands

Morale I: +2% to combat strength

Morale II: +3% to combat strength

Morale III: +4% to combat strength

Morale IV: +5% to combat strength

Morale V: +6% to combat strength

Tactics I: +5% to withdrawal chanse

Tactics II: +5% to withdrawal chanse

Tactics III: +5% to withdrawal chanse

Tactics IV: +10% to withdrawal chanse

Initiative I: +1 first strike chanses

Initiative II: +1 first strike chanses

Initiative III: +1 first strike chanses

Initiative IV: +1 first strike chanses, continues attack while at full :strength:

Promotion tree:

There is a possibility to add a wide variety of promotions if you want as far as most of possible abilities are supported by commander promotions.
List of supported abilities:
Spoiler :

1. visiblity range
  2. extra moves
  3. move discount
  4. air range
  5. intercept
  6. evasion
  7. first strikes
  8. chanse first strikes
  9. withdrawal
  10. collateral damage
  11. bombard rate
  12. enemy heal
  13. neutral heal
  14. friendly heal
  15. combat
  16. city attack
  17. city defense
  18. hills attack
  19. hills defense
  20. domain modifier (e.g. -50 for bombers vs sea units)
  21. terrain attack (e.g. desert)
  22. terrain defense
  23. feature attack (e.g. forest)
  24. feature defense
  25. unitcombat modifier (vs unitclass promos)

This mod also includes Defender Withdrawal modcomp: units with withdrawal ability can escape combat while defending (as well as in attack). Drill promotions also were modded to increase withdrawal chanse.

Sources
In CvGameCoreDLL source files changes are marked with //@MOD Commanders and //@MOD DWM (for defender withdrawal modcomp) comments.
Changes to XML are marked with <!-- @MOD Commanders --> comment.
Changes to Python are marked with #@MOD Commanders comment.

About this release
It's a beta version of modcomp, so there could be bugs i've missed. please let me know if you notice some.
  • Thanks KJ Jansson for fixing buttons gaphics!
  • Bug leading to CTD when attaching GG to a unit (tracked by PieceOfMind) was fixed.
  • Promotion tree was developed.
  • Initiative IV effect was changed.

Download
You can download it here (1.25 Mb).

That is really really fantastic. It is one of the most overlooked aspects of the game and I look so much forward to seing it be developed further - especially the AI part which is really important.

Good job and good luck :goodjob:

\Skodkim

thanks for the words of encouragement!

About AI.. it seems i did it! :woohoo:
This is how AI behave:
  • If there is an offensive war, AI tries to send his GG with SoD.
  • If there is a defensive war, AI tries to use GG for defending cities.
  • If there is no war, and GG's level is < 4 (or = 0 and it is the only commander AI has), AI uses it in a normal way (as a military instuctor, or to build an academy).
here's the v.0.2 dll (1.5 MB). Replace an old one with it.

any comments are welcomed ;)

killmeplease, I think you should post a link to this thread from the download page. It's always handy in case people stumble across that page without going through this one (e.g. if they're browsing the downloads database).

Are you releasing the source for this mod? I wasn't able to find it.

really nice killmeplease. This looks like a no brainer for ACW.

I've updated database page as well as post#1. Thanks PieceOfMind for advice.
I plan to release version 1.0 beta at 14th february.

PieceOfMind, as i'm working on souce code and it's quite messy now so i've decided to exclude it from download for a while. also i want to get rid of other modcomps mixed in there to release pure Commanders.

That's alright.

I'm trying to get a heads up on how much this would affect ACO but I'm happy to wait til you're ready.

Regarding the modcomp Defender Withdrawal:
With ACO, the odds of attacker surviving will no longer be accurate. It mightn't be too hard to make it show how often the defender will withdraw but getting it to work out odds for the second defender will most likely be impractical and even if it were possible it'd probably start making the interface pretty ugly.

I'm not really sure what to do if it is intended that this modcomp be included with mods that also use ACO. This is the first modcomp that I've noticed that has the potential to conflict with ACO, although I'm sure there'd be others out there already using ACO with another mod that should be imcompatible - I can't keep track of ACO everywhere it goes. :lol:

If you're brave you could even try merging the two yourself and seeing the results. I'm not asking you to, just if you're interested is all. Merging ACO is actually fairly straightforward - there's pretty much just one massive function to merge.

That's alright.
I'm trying to get a heads up on how much this would affect ACO but I'm happy to wait til you're ready.
I believe there will be no problem in merging Commanders with ACO as Commander's bonuses are added in getExtraXXX() functions - i assume ACO deals with them. For example, getExtraCombatPercent function:
Code:
int CvUnit::getExtraCombatPercent() const
{
	//@MOD Commanders [
	if (!isCommander())
	{
		CvUnit* pCommander = getCommander();
		if (pCommander != NULL)
			return	m_iExtraCombatPercent + pCommander->getExtraCombatPercent();
	}
	//]
	return m_iExtraCombatPercent;
}

On DWM+ACO, yeah its a big problem. I'll think on what can be done there.

Hmm... Have you looked at the commander system Xienwolf designed for Fall Further? It's rather similar to this, though the points are a bit different... Each commander can 'lead' a certain amount of units (Can be increased via promotion), and those units are the only ones to get promotions/bonuses from him. In return, they can grant the commander promotions, and grant him xp when they win.

killmeplease - my mod uses ACO and I'm still a noob with doing SDK stuff, so I'll probably still need help merging if you are still offering. Plus I'm not really sure on how to use that makefile (or even if I can) using codeblocks. All your modcomps look great, I'd really like to have them in my mod.

Very cool, i will definitive try it!
i wish you enjoyed it ;)

Hmm... Have you looked at the commander system Xienwolf designed for Fall Further? It's rather similar to this, though the points are a bit different... Each commander can 'lead' a certain amount of units (Can be increased via promotion), and those units are the only ones to get promotions/bonuses from him. In return, they can grant the commander promotions, and grant him xp when they win.
I have to look at it thanks for this info!

killmeplease - my mod uses ACO and I'm still a noob with doing SDK stuff, so I'll probably still need help merging if you are still offering.
I havent devised yet how to merge DW with ACO. But it is possible to use Commanders without DW in case i will not found a solution!

This looks very nice! :goodjob: How does the AI handle this?

This looks very nice! :goodjob: How does the AI handle this?

AI sends GGs with SoDs (one GG per SoD) if there is an offensive war, otherwise it sends GG to a threatened city. In case there is no war and GG's level is not high, AI uses it in ordinary way (settle, build academies). It also pick control promotions if its SoD is larger than GG's control points, otherwise it picks morale, tactics etc. I'm going to improve promotion logic, it s quite primitive now.

Just to be clear, because it looks like this is the case from the screenshots and description, the new commander promotions replace the regular warlord promotions?

On the promotion pictures, doesn't Initiative 1 look a bit like Initiative 4?

By the way, if you try a merge of DWM with ACO let me know if you have any trouble, because I know ACO is not exactly the easiest code to read. It's also not easy to merge with other mods that use the same function in CvGameTextMgr.

Just to be clear, because it looks like this is the case from the screenshots and description, the new commander promotions replace the regular warlord promotions?
No, commander promotions do not replace warlord's ones. Commander promotions are promotions of GG unit itself. When you use lead action great general unit gets deleted. Combat units with warlord promotion still can get exclusive promotions like tactics, morale, medic III, etc.

On the promotion pictures, doesn't Initiative 1 look a bit like Initiative 4?
I changed Initiative 1 promotion icon after those pics for post 1 were made (just forget to change pic). So actually they look more different.

By the way, if you try a merge of DWM with ACO let me know if you have any trouble, because I know ACO is not exactly the easiest code to read. It's also not easy to merge with other mods that use the same function in CvGameTextMgr.
OK i'll ask you if something will go wrong. commanders use only getUnitHelp function in CvGameTextMgr i think there will be no conflict with ACO.

Top Bottom