Unit Naming

Hmm, I just noticed that the hover text for the counting codes is still using the old codes. :( I've added the above code for multiple codes, but Ruff could you please fix the hover text when you get a chance (all languages)?

I noticed when using domain it gives the full description.
For example "^dm^ Army" gives "Land units Army", where i suppose it should give "Land Army".

I don't know if it was intended like this, but in case it should have been the latter, i made a quick fix: in class UnitRename, def getUnitName changing

Code:
zsUnitDomain = gc.getDomainInfo(pUnit.getDomainType()).getDescription()

into

Code:
zsUnitDomainList = (gc.getDomainInfo(pUnit.getDomainType()).getDescription()).split(None, 1)
zsUnitDomain = zsUnitDomainList[0]

That won't work for all languages. In French, Italian, and Spanish you need to use [1]. :( In German it's a single word, but that should work since split() will return a single-element list I think.

So I'm putting translations into BUG directly without the Units portion:

Code:
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_UNIT_NAMING_DOMAIN_LAND</Tag>
		<English>Land</English>
		<French>Terrestre</French>
		<German>Land</German>
		<Italian>Terrestre</Italian>
		<Spanish>Terrestre</Spanish>
	</TEXT>
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_UNIT_NAMING_DOMAIN_SEA</Tag>
		<English>Naval</English>
		<French>Naval</French>
		<German>Marine</German>
		<Italian>Navale</Italian>
		<Spanish>Naval</Spanish>
	</TEXT>
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_UNIT_NAMING_DOMAIN_AIR</Tag>
		<English>Air</English>
		<French>A&#233;rien</French>
		<German>Aire</German>
		<Italian>Aerea</Italian>
		<Spanish>A&#233;rea</Spanish>
	</TEXT>
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_UNIT_NAMING_DOMAIN_IMMOBILE</Tag>
		<English>Stationary</English>
		<French>Stationnaire</French>
		<German>Stationär</German>
		<Italian>Stazionario</Italian>
		<Spanish>Estacionaria</Spanish>
	</TEXT>

If any of those are incorrect, please advise. Since these will be specifically for Unit Naming, do you want adjectives or nouns? Water vs. Naval? Heck, I could use better words for all of them.

immobile: <German>Unbeweglich</German> without the e. "Stationär" (german for stationary) would work too

edit: but if it is used as adjective then nvm, no matter what you use it would be wrong in some cases, german adjectives need declinations -_-

Yes hadn't thought of that :(

As for the names i think they're good. They would, as far as i see it, be used mostly as an adjective form (eg Naval Battalion) instead of a noun (that would almost give "Battalion on Water" or something).

Perhaps change immobile to stationary. In the context of military use it seems to sound better to talk of a "stationary field emplacement" instead of an "immobile field emplacement". But i'm not a native english speaker so i may be totally wrong in this :)

The adjective-noun thing made me think of something, in the documentation it says that the civ name is in adjective form, but using this as Carthage in my current game it just still gave "Carthage" instead of the expected "Carthaginian". I looked at the code and found this
Code:
zsCiv = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer).getCivilizationShortDescription(0)

I'm not familiar with the game code itself, is this supposed to give the adjective or the noun form? If the former i'll test some more civilizations. The (0) suggests it would be returning the first item in some array which could be the noun.

I almost want to say that "Land" should be Army if you're going to put this adjective before "Battalion," but I'm no military historian. I agree that "Stationary" sounds better here too.

I don't know the functions off the top of my head here, but one gives the noun and the other the adjective. I'll let Ruff take care of this. ;)

Yes you're right, it seems 'Army' is used specifically for land units. In dutch one may use it's equivalent 'leger' for the whole and 'landmacht' (land forces) for the terrestrial one. But it doesn't seem to be used that way in english :)

Do you perhaps know where i could find a reference on those available functions to hook into the game? I found a couple of tutorials for a variety of things, but not really a good reference overview of the classes and methods themselves.

The Python API lists the functions and the parameters they take, but there is little in the way of actual documentation (what they do). The best way is to read the code and try things out.

Found it, changing this
Code:
zsCiv = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer).getCivilizationShortDescription(0)
into this
Code:
zsCiv = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer).getCivilizationAdjective(0)

I've read mostly everything here and still my brain can't process it, I think I'm getting too old for this...
I'm sorry but I have to ask this...

How do you use multiple counters? I've tried most possible combinations and still no success, it keeps showing the code instead of the counter.

Do I have to edit the .ini for that or is it possible to do it in-game(alt+tab+o)? I still haven't messed around with the .ini, so I'm not sure how it will work, maybe I'll have to edit too many things...

Anyway I suggest updating the documentation, and if anyone can help me with multiple counters I'd be glad.

Ha Ha, Thread revival.

Seriously, is there a way to use the tt1 and tt2 naming conventions so that it doesn't produce a random number.

Specifically I want to number them in the Army naming convention given as an example, but have them numbered sequentially, but resetting once a set number has been achieved.

What do I mean;

Army Group 1, 1st Corps , Squads (Able [1st]..Hotel[8th] ) Reset
Army Group 1, 4th Corps, Squads (Able...Hotel) Reset
Army Group 2, 1st Corps, Squads (Able..Hotel)

Basically I want to count as an example 8 Squads, reset, count 4 corps, reset and infinite Army Groups.

As is set up now, its a Random number for Companies, but it'll never reset, even once all options have been used, ie, tt1, 1 used 3 times, 2 used once, 3 used 5 times, 4 used twice, 5 used once but won't reset tt2

I tried this using the Cntl-Alt-N naming options, but never resets tt2

Seriously, is there a way to use the tt1 and tt2 naming conventions so that it doesn't produce a random number.
No. tt2 never resets ... it just keeps on counting. We did brain storm some code for infinite counters (see back a few pages) but we never got around to implementing it.

Here is an example from earlier in this thread for what is is trying to do ...
yes, yes and yes. Actually - there is only 1 counter. Maybe an example will help ...

my fav ... borg ...

"7 of 9, unimatrix 1" would be generated by ...

^cnt[1][a]^ of ^tt1[1][6:9]^, unimatrix ^tt2[1][1]^

This will count over all units (the '[a]' in 'cnt') from 1 to a random number between 6 and 9. Once the counter hits that max, it resets to 1, the tt2 part goes up 1 and a new random max (tt1) is calculated.

Change the [a] to [c] and it counts from 1 to n for each city. Build a unit in City B and it starts at 1. tt1 and tt2 will be unique to that city.

I've gotten some errors from unit naming.

It worked previously, as I wanted it too, as given in the example on screen shot

Spoiler :

I produced 3 Modern infantry and 1 mobile missile carrier. Fine, excellent work Ruff :goodjob:

but now when I try to test various other combinations, I get this error

Spoiler :

Might be because, I've activated screen saver a couple of times, left it running for 8 hr's straight, etc. Or because I've enacted an arcane set of key's using Cntl-Alt- P and L or Cntl or Alt with Shift and P or L.

Trying to use the civ swap in REV_DCM

Key's also got stuck on capitals with caps off and non capitals with it on, so may go away.

But seen that error before with naming conventions, so its an actual bug. Don't know it it helps, or even if your inclined to look into it.

Thanks for Bug.

Oh, lastly, how would I re-enable the SVNutil.py checking in bug, if its been disabled in being merged into a mod, just change the Check's from false to true??

I think that error is because you need to select a unit before starting the Unit Rename tester dialog box.

I tried the next day, fresh boot, well rested computer. I selected a unit 1st to try out unit naming conventions (Cntl+Alt+N) and got same error.

Next I selected and opened a city, tried again, same error.

here's an example of my Unit naming convention ([party])

Spoiler :

Using Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn Mod​

here's and example of the out put over many units. (not sorted in out put order, just a random grouping.) Hey I have 4 separate fronts going at once, 5 if you count the invasion group for the 2 tile island.

Spoiler :

I'm such a Ruthless Tyrant, size 19 city and I abandon it. (using larger cities mod, 3rd ring enabled, and doesn't meet my Plan for Continent/Island)

Here's the error, once more
Spoiler :

I've tried it with advance unit naming on and off, and upgrade name on and off and both on and off (6 combinations) all gave same error.

Its not game breaking, just mildly annoying, BUT, you never know what else it may effect.

Finally, the random number generator, does that use a maths function in Python, a spreadsheet, or a created program. Its just I'd like to build, as an example;
-5 companies for each division.
-25 Divisions for each Army group
-Army groups ad infinitum.

Oh, just to slip in a final query. Is it possible, as a added feature, to count the Captured workers, Units (mods) etc from each player.

E.G.
1st Liberated Barbarian (worker)
14th Liberate Holy roman (worker)
5th Liberated Persia (worker)
3rd Captured Zulu (cannon)
1st Abandon Paris (worker)
2nd Abandon Paris (worker)
1st Abandon Paris (Settler)
Or will I have to keep manually counting, no biggie, just a nice to add if inclined.

Just had a quick thought on Army naming, I could, and will change it too;

^cnt[p][d]^ Squad, ^tt1[o][1:10]^ Company, ^tt2[o][1]^ Division of the 1st Army group. (alter to 2nd etc when I have enough divisions)

P.S. Example of the unit numbering for captured units I meant

Spoiler :

^cnt[p][d]^ Squad, ^tt1[o][1:10]^ Company, ^tt2[o][1]^ Division of the 1st Army group
Yes, that will work. Note that the ^tt1[o][1:10]^ part means that the number of squads per company will be a random number between 1 and 10. If you want each company to have 10 squads, change the [1:10] part to [10:10].
alter to 2nd etc when I have enough divisions
That should work.

Bad dog Ruff Hi *Hits with a rolled up newspaper*..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uTyZ-YC6qY
that suggestion you made, just outputs company 10 all the time, no reseting at all
Ahh, right. I coded this about a billion years ago so I guess I have forgotten. Given your comment and a slightly refreshed memory ... try this ...

[tab]^cnt[p][d]^ ^tt1[10:10]^ Squad, ^tt2[o][1]^ Company, 1st Division of the 1st Army group

As the code currently is, there is only 1 counter (^cnt[p][d]^), the tt1 part tells it when to reset to '1' and when to increment the tt2 counter. The '' part tells it that the display mode for the tt1 counter is silent (ie not shown).

As I said above, we did brain storm some code that adds unlimited counters, we never implemented it.

Top Bottom