Questions about The BUG Mod

Random rant for 1000th post

In my current game, I just received a cool event that gives me +1 road movement because of a massive freeway construction project. Gee, too bad I've only got 3 or 4 tiles in my entire empire that haven't been railroaded yet.
You actually play this game? Thought you just modded it to death. Haven't seen you in the SG forum yet?

LOL, you saw how sporadic I was with playing our SG. :) I don't wanna subject anyone else to that, so I just play alone. I did enjoy that SG, so maybe I'll stick my head in there again.

So I'm looking at PLE 2.03, and the only hovers I see are for the unit icons (main info pane) and the promotion and upgrade views. BUG has all of those.* I don't see hover text for any of the other buttons (views, filters or grouping modes). Am I missing something? I'm only looking at the code.

* There is a bug where the info pane for some of the icons doesn't show up, and I haven't tested the promo/upgrade views lately.

Looks like you run Vista. Maybe Civ4 needs admin privileges in order to write something into the BUG Mod.ini file. :dunno:
No, I'm running XP and all games run under admin rights. How come you think it's vista?

Can you try changing the "GP Bar" option. You should see the bar appear/disappear as you check/uncheck the option without having to close the window. Do you see anything happening?
I tried it and I coud still see the GP-bar above the window.

After that I took the blank approach: just deinstalled BUG and reinstalled it. Works perfectly fine now, so thank you for your time and this mod. :king:

Is there a way to use the BUG mod for mulitplayer games?
Does each perosn need to have it installed? Will it work if I have it installed but no one else?

BUG should work fine in multiplayer even if only some players use it, but I haven't tried it. Since it doesn't modify any of the game rules, I can't see any problems.

If anyone can confirm this, please do.

I have used it in multiplayer on LAN. As long as both computers are installed in the same fasion w/the same patches in the same order, it should be fine.

I did run into an issue where BTS thinks that the other computer is using a mod after I put the perfectworld.py scripts in both computers...

Otherwise, it runs fine EXCEPT for the advanced leaderboard (must be turned off), and the city warnings (xxx will grow to size x in 1 turn) are 1 turn too late. So you're warned of growth the same time that the city grows.

Why does the Leaderboard need to be turned off? I believe the growth thing can be fixed by changing the alerts to count from turn 1 instead of turn 0.....

Why does the Leaderboard need to be turned off?

Ditto. This is news to me. I didn't do anything wacky with the multiplayer-related information contained in the original scoreboard. Do you get the dreaded "no interface" issue, or is it a simple display problem? If the former, it's a Python bug and I cannot easily test--no friends, poor me :(--would you mind turning it on and then posting the contents of "My Games\BtS\Logs\PythonErr.log"?

I believe the growth thing can be fixed by changing the alerts to count from turn 1 instead of turn 0.....

You're probably thinking of the AutoLogger "4000BC is Turn 0/1" option. Civ4lerts has no such functionality. I have, however, thought of a hopefully simple fix that will make some of the other tricky things I have tried that failed possible. In due time . . . .

I have, however, thought of a hopefully simple fix that will make some of the other tricky things I have tried that failed possible. In due time . . . .
Really! I thought it was me telling you how the HOF guys overcame this issue. :D

Per Balderstrom's suggestion, I am posting this here in addition to the thread I started. Sorry if I peeved anyone by starting a new thread...

Hi,

I am currently merging the latest SVN version of BUG with glider1's RevolutionDCM mod and have run into a small issue. It is due to the fact that RevolutionDCM and BUG use different methods of parsing the .ini file. I have the BUG .ini file wholly included inside the .ini file for my mod, along with the revolutionDCM components. The RevoloutionDCM components are being read from the .ini file, but the BUG options are not. When I hit Ctrl-Alt-O, I get the message about the ini file not being found.

I have modified the CvModName.py file to match the name of my mod. The mod directory and .ini file have the same name and it is in the proper place in the mod directory. The message upon hitting Ctrl-Alt-O says that BUG is looking for the .ini file named TestMod.ini in C:/Program Files/Sid Meier...etc./Mods/TestMod. The file is clearly there but for some reason it is not being read. Do the BUG options have to be in their own .ini file and is having the RevolutionDCM options in there as well throwing it off? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
ripple01

You still need to maintain a copy of BUG Mod.ini when merging into a Mod. Try creating a BUG Mod.ini with just the BUG Mod Options.

BUG should find the options where you have them. It even tells you the name and location of the file it is trying to read, and you say it's there (I'll trust you :)). Also, BUG should ignore any extra options in the INI file.

Ah, are you using semi-colon (;) for comments in your combined INI file? The INI parser BUG uses doesn't accept those -- only hash marks (#). I'll see about fixing BUG to detect that the file is there but cannot be parsed.

BUG should find the options where you have them. It even tells you the name and location of the file it is trying to read, and you say it's there (I'll trust you :)). Also, BUG should ignore any extra options in the INI file.

Ah, are you using semi-colon (;) for comments in your combined INI file? The INI parser BUG uses doesn't accept those -- only hash marks (#). I'll see about fixing BUG to detect that the file is there but cannot be parsed.

Ah, I think that is the problem, the semi-colon's. I'll double check tonight, didn't get a chance to do so last night. Thank you all for your help.

Cheers,
ripple01

Why does the Leaderboard need to be turned off? I believe the growth thing can be fixed by changing the alerts to count from turn 1 instead of turn 0.....

This was something I posted months ago as a multiplayer bug, but was told that this mod was mainly for singleplayer. Which is fine, since most bugs are not game-breaking, even for MP.

If Advanced Scoreboard is enabled, NO score is shown on the scoreboard. Usually, I only see my score; no others. That's just for turn one or so. A few turns in, the scoreboard completely vanishes. The only way to show the scoreboard is to disable advanced scoreboard and restart BTS/Bug.

Ditto. This is news to me. I didn't do anything wacky with the multiplayer-related information contained in the original scoreboard. Do you get the dreaded "no interface" issue, or is it a simple display problem? If the former, it's a Python bug and I cannot easily test--no friends, poor me :(--would you mind turning it on and then posting the contents of "My Games\BtS\Logs\PythonErr.log"?

The issue is the second - simply doesn't display. There's no error messages, weird sounds, or gameplay slowdown. I can turn it on and post the contents, but it may take a while - family over for the next few days + work is stepping up for me (got married on Sunday, and teaching summer school/taking grad classes).

OK, remember to speak slowly and use small words since i am old (43) and not all that comp savvy. I downloaded bug 230zip from sourceforge. I opened mydocuments/civ4/BTS but there is no "documents" folder there. Ummmmmm, ...:help:

I would recommend using the EXE installer if you're not computer savvy (link inside the green bar on this page). It will put all the files in the right places and can be removed using the Windows "Add/Remove Software" control panel.

To use the ZIP:

• Extract all the files in the archive somewhere (to your desktop perhaps).
  • This should create a new folder called "BUGMod_230".
  • Open that folder.
  • Select both folders inside ("CustomAssets" and "BUG Mod").
  • Copy them.
  • Navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword".
  • Rename the folder "CustomAssets" to "CustomAssets-Old" to save your existing folder for uninstalling BUG.
  • Paste the folders.
  • Say "Yes to All" to overwrite existing files if asked to do so (shouldn't ask if you never had BUG installed).
That's it! Let me know if you have any trouble. I highly recommend the EXE installer. It also gives you the option to install BUG as a mod instead of in CustomAssets.

Top Bottom