Questions about The BUG Mod

Try altering MM_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml in the Modules\Movie Mod\XML\Buildings folder of BAT. I don't understand how it all works but that file has the same stuff as the CIV4BuildingInfos.xml file does.

Hi.

I'm only now heard about this mod (and see it on the net), and after installation, it is not run properly for me. I realised, that I cannot see the "gold" and "science" symbols (in the left upper corner and even when I hover above the tiles, enter the city, etc. - actually, I cannot see there anything, just mere blank space). Maybe there are some other minor problems, which are still not realized.

What I've done so far: I updated my CIV4 BTS version (from the oldest to 3.19) and I simply installed the BUG mod with the automatic installer (before it, I reinstalled the whole 3 games (vanilla, Warlodrs and BTS) and before it, I removed all of the remaining things (for example I completely removed the BTS "mygames" folder). Btw, I have the original CD's, if it matters at all.

Do you have any ideas, what went wrong?

Thank you so much for the answer in advance (and sorry for my English).

Greg

Do you have a non english standard character in your windows name? That sort of thing throws BUG out badly.

Was my English so terrible? :)
Thanks for the advice.

Well, originally yes, but I've just changed it (at least I hope so, although I'm not sure about it).

And still cannot see the symbols :(

How can I check it if I want to be sure to corrected it? If I start a new game and the computer offer a name as the leader's name (with "olny English characters), is that what I'm searching for?

Thanks for the answer.

Well, it might be the problem, 'cause the default name is unchanged (with a non-English character) :(
Can you help me, how I can rewrite it?

Thanks for the tip again.
Greg

Was my English so terrible? :)

Not at all. I just know that the sort of issue you are describing is sometimes caused by the sign in windows name.

It is not the civ name. It is the windows user name that appears in the 'my documents' folder. for example ... "C:\Users\RuffHi\Documents\My Games". Here, my windows name is RuffHi. If you have an accented letter in your windows name, then part of BUG that looks for itself will fail.

Thanks a lot. I'm almost sure, this could be the problem. However rename the folder is not so simple :( Several steps, creating security saves, etc. I'll ask somebody to do it for me. You really helped me a lot, appreciate.

Finally, it seems, everything is fine :)
Although I could not change the name, but I've created a new account and now... :)

Many thanks again and Happy New Year.

Hi.

I'm reinstalling the BUG MOD on my new computer and went to this website: http://civ4bug.sourceforge.net/BUGMod.html
The 3.03 - 3.19 version I was able to download but it gives me no interface.
The 3.00 - 3.03 version can't even be opened (and are not accepted by the "SmartScreen" firewall of Windows). Is it normal?

I installed BTS and that stuff and this works fine. As I said the BUG MOD 3.03 - 3.19 instals fine but gives me no interface during the game. I tried in the CustomAssets folder (Single-Player).
The other version takes a lot of time to download (is it normal?) and when I execute the program the "Windows SmartScreen" behaves like a hero that saves the day and proudly says to me that I is not allowing that executable to be opened. It is also downloaded by the name of "BATMOD_008" which is also odd.

The version of my BTS are:
Civ Version: 301
Save Verson : 300
Build Version: 3.0.0.91 (74697)
Build Date 2007

And my computer:

Windows 8.1
Intel i5;
RAM 4 Gb
OS 64 bits

Is there anyone yet here to help me? Is there anyone even playing this game yet?
Raúl.

For starters, you need to update your BTS to version 3.19. You can download the patch from the "Patch & Update" page here on the forums. The link to that page is in the drop down menu "Civ4" at the top of every page. BUG does not work with older versions. Also, the current version of BUG is 4.4. You can find that on the Downloads page, also linked in the Civ4 drop down.

It seems that the installation process wasn't correct, as most of the icons don't show in the interface. Specifically, the strength, steps, culture, GPP, GGP, gold, hammers commerce and bread.

It seems pretty specific, did it already happened to someone in this forum?

Anyhow the toggle yeld display command (Cntr +Y ) seems to work fine. So the icons were not deleted heartlessly by the wizard setup!

The installation method I choose was to instal directly in the CostumAssets Folder (Single-Player), but also tried with the Alt-Root way and the same problem occurs. It seems as well that no option of the Bug Mod Graphics is causing the problem.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a non English character in your Windows user name?

Howdy, folks.

I'm trying to make BUG Mod work, but I'm having trouble with it. I play bts through steam on a mac, and most of the troubleshooting instructions I've seen are for folks playing on windows. I believe I followed the installation instructions correctly, but don't see any differences in the game after loading the mod and starting a new save.

Here's where files are Located

>Documents
>>Civilization IV Beyond the Sword
>>>BUG mod (created by me)
>>>>BugMod_4ini, BugMod_4.ini.bak, Gamesetupcheck, info, usersettings
>>>CustomAssets
>>>>All the usual stuff, plus what the installation instructions told me to put here (so... art, python, res, sounds, xml)
>>>PublicMaps
>>>>All the usual stuff, plus what the installation instructions told me to put here (so... Full_of_resources, Lows_Random_maps, Maze, perfectworld2 (I picked this up a while ago), planet_generator, Ring_world, Smart_map, Team_battleground, Tectonics)
>>>MODS
>>>>BugMod_4
>>>>>Assets (empty folder)
>>>>>BugMod_4ini
>>>>>BugMod_4.ink.bak
>>>>>PrivateMaps (empty folder)
>>>>>Readme.txt

Any idea where I've gone wrong?

I run BTS on a Mac using BUG Mod. My BTS is from a disc not Steam. It works fine.

Looking at your setup compared to mine:
1. The ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/MODS folder is empty on my system
2. There is no BugMod_4ini nor BugMod_4.ini.bak anywhere on my system
3. The BUG Mod folder is "BUG Mod" on my system, not "BUG mod". You should fix this. The loading may well be looking for a case sensitive folder name.

I think that you have mixed the install procedures for BUG Mod as a stand alone Mod and BUG Mod as a CustomAsset that loads automatically. Most likely, the stuff that you have installed for the stand alone Mod are not doing anything, since you are not trying to load it. The most likely problem is what I have written below this, but I would remove the extra stuff to be sure.

Are you using the latest version of BUG Mod, 4.4?

If so, did you make the fix for Mac? BUG Mod 4.4 won't run on a Mac without the fix. The fix is:

You have to edit the Python file:

~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py

and delete line 699. If you don't have a text editor with line numbers, just search for, and delete, the line:

newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__

The Mac is using a version of Python where that line is nonsense code, which crashes the program. The line does not do anything that affects the operation of BUG. I think the version of Python that uses it just requires it as an identifier.

I was wondering, is there a specific place in BUG code which is more important for multi-player? BUG is part of the mod I'm currently working on, Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn, and I suspect it for being responsible for some out of sync problems. Specifically, I can play more or less without out of sync with two players, but if three players are connected or if playing with pitboss, most of the time the game goes immediately out of sync. Any hint?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13865414 said:
I was wondering, is there a specific place in BUG code which is more important for multi-player? BUG is part of the mod I'm currently working on, Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn, and I suspect it for being responsible for some out of sync problems. Specifically, I can play more or less without out of sync with two players, but if three players are connected or if playing with pitboss, most of the time the game goes immediately out of sync. Any hint?

Yes. Don't play with BUG in MP games. It isn't designed for MP games.

But to actually give a useful answer ... not that I know of. You might try and turn some of the features off (ie alerts) and see if that helps.

Finally ... I was in Trieste once on a client visit ... lovely city. Had a gelato in a piazza - yum!

Yes. Don't play with BUG in MP games. It isn't designed for MP games.

But to actually give a useful answer ... not that I know of. You might try and turn some of the features off (ie alerts) and see if that helps.

Finally ... I was in Trieste once on a client visit ... lovely city. Had a gelato in a piazza - yum!
Thanks, but it actually works with 2 players. And I've read it works with k-mod. So I was hoping for any hint, although I know it's hard to tell.
Thanks anyway.

P.S. yeah, it's a lovely city [emoji6]

Top Bottom