The Immortal Alphabetical Game #9 - Casimir III

I definitely underestimated
Spoiler :

Immortal George. That was really good. GDRs are really useless and one nuke is worth a lot more than 2 GDRs. Culture win would also take forever

so, turn 340 resign

T256 Culture Victory

Overall 11 points.

Guilds 3-2-1: 3 points

Renaissance Units 3-2-1: 0 points. I screwed up and just blithely ran on into Public Schools. Completely brain farted and forgot this one. :(

Policies 3-2-1: 2 points. I filled Liberty/Tradition first. Opened Rationalism, opened Aesthetics, went back to Secularism, and never took another Rationalism policy.

Late Game Tech: 3 points. Entered Modern Era with Refrigeration, Atomic Era with Combined Arms, never achieved Information Era.

Victory Type Points: 3 points.

Screengrab of city placement in the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
I went for the simple XCOM cheese this game. Assyria had the largest army by far most of the game and was a constant threat after taking Surabaya and Jakarta. I had to bribe him to go against other civs. Moving my troops far away would have been too risky. If Washington and Madrid were both coastal, I would have went for a frigate push and go from there, but it wasn't the case here. Since culture seemed to be the maine bottleneck with these achievements, I decided to focus on that and went a bit overboard on that front. I choose God of the Open Sky as a pantheon, built a wonder in every city and since the Writer's Guild was late, I delayed World's Fair to the second vote which coincided right after archaeology and bulbed four 7K GW after winning it.

I went full Tradition (finished T66), then Liberty to Meritocracy, Patronage opener, finished Liberty, Rationalism opener, Secularism, full Aesthetics, finished Rationalism, 8 in order, full Commerce

Noteworthy events:
  • Indonesia suiciding 4 warriors through rough terrain against my recently founded, forward-settled and undefended city of Krakow. They took it down to maybe 70% health. The city had a defense of 11, I think. Not sure it is even possible for 4 warriors to take a city alone even under ideal circumstances. I do not know what the AI was thinking.
  • Denmark converting my capital to its religion than immediately asking for a DoF on the same turn (I had founded a religion). He was Neutral and coveted my lands.
  • Egypt and Indonesia converting Lodz to their religion one turn after the other over and over. They wasted two prophets each on the same city. (I blocked access to my other cities with units)

Civ5Screen0039.jpg

t304 Backwards DomV - 18 points
Spoiler :
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one to get all 18! This game became ridiculously easy - I did face some GWI and GWB from Assyria and USA, but everybody else still had Rifles and no air, and Denmark didn't even have Rifles. Meanwhile I'm upgrading all the way up to eventually Modern Armor and Jet Fighters, LOL.

I only made it to 69% and 77% influential over USA and Bill-O, in part because WC passed trade ban with Bill-O. I also didn't worry about theming late, and considered selling my Hotels and Airports to slow Tourism down. :lol: I was 7 turns from Internet and about to start IG. 4k Faith in the bank.

Full Trad, Full Piety, Full Aesthetics, 4 in Patronage, Rat to Secularism, 2 in Commerce, 11 in Freedom - I just started grabbing tenets late, didn't really care.

T282-Madrid, 289-Assur, 294-Washington, 296-Jakarta, 299-Thebes, 304-Amsterdam and Copenhagen. So 18 turns to take all 7 capitals. :) I took Utrecht the last turn as well, just because, so I dipped into negative happy for the only time. Since I had planned on CV, I didn't have much for roads heading towards Bill-O. Pretty awkward travel route NW to SW to NE... lots of traffic jams. I had warred plenty earlier, mainly liberating cities.
Spoiler :

I was aiming for all achievements but forgot about the guilds before building writer's :rolleyes:and never got the time for conquest, so it ended up being a hybrid game.

I harassed
Spoiler :
Indonesia
right off the bat, since he was close. Captured 2 settlers and a few workers, and did a forward settle. Apart from that the game was fairly peaceful. Another civ beat me to the location for my 3rd expo, so ended up settling a NW and then placed the 4th at the coast. As always I kept bribing neighbours to stay at war, so by the time I got to Archaelogy the others were way behind. Standard Freedom finish based on 4 cities and winning WF and IG. The achievements were not a huge hindrance; getting the units in time wasn't a problem. but delaying Rationalism would have been difficult if Poland wasn't as good as it is:)

Spoiler :

Guilds 3-2-1: 3 points, GM guild built but unstaffed until I built Broadway.

Renaissance Units 3-2-1: 2 points, but I had to delay entering industrial era for this since it's tech path is non optimal for a cv.

Policies 3-2-1: 2 points, Liberty/Tradition hybrid start, so rationalism was opened after both liberty+trad. Oracle helped. Also opened both patronage + aesthetics for their wonders before getting secularism, which also delayed but with Poland it's not that much harder. Next went for exploration opener for Louvre, then Order 6 for the extra happiness+hammers+sciences before getting free thought from rationalism.

Late Game Tech: 3 points, all these except for refrigeration was significant delays and it is required to push science hard for it. Especially the laser entering information opened the way for a stealth bomber + xcom finish for domination after winning culture earlier.

Victory Type Points: 3 points (culture / domination)

true backwards Domination player: 5 points for domination

Spoiler :

Went for a 6 city liberty/tradition hybrid start due to achievement and being Poland. Tradition open, then free settler, finish liberty for GE, then finish tradition.

Was able to built wonders such as HG and Oracle, then rushed Petra in my eastern city closest to Denmark + Netherlands. After that, my capital and eastern expo was able to get almost every wonders.

AI in this game teched rather slowly and I was able to win CV before getting enough tech to do a xcom rush without even focusing on pushing all tourism. I was able to get a huge number of artifacts and almost filled every art slots.

Was also able to get Order's tier 3 to work on AI due to their low happiness, later also picked up bonus to other Order civs.

After winning CV without IG, NVC, airports, internet. Decided to go for the extra domination after getting these and see what happens if I capture civs that has dominant/influenced status. Turns out that captured dominant cities has no unrest time and population loss.

Based on the position of my capital, and leftover civs's capital at the point of start of conquest, which is a few turns after winning CV:
Spain: 25
Assyria: 20
Netherlands: 17
Indonesia: 10

So it is required to conquer in the order Spain > Assyria > Indonesia. (Netherlands lost their capital during my conquest to Assyria so I never need to DoW them)
Spain: 280 Madrid, 282 Copenhagen
Assyria: 284 Assur, 285 Amsterdam, 287 Thebes, 289 Washington
Indonesia: 290 Jakarta

Spoiler :

Nice wins... I may play a game or two with other civs sometime with these same restrictions. I assume a more lukewarm civ would be a fair challenge, what with 7 fewer polices and all.

Theme of this game was, "scorch and burn." :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 182
Top Bottom