NEW Deity Challenge I - The Ottomans

consentient

Domination!

What is this challenge series? Why another one?

The NQ Mod adds so many new dimensions to the game compared with base BNW, that I really want to explore them through shared games.

Among other benefits too innumerable to mention all of them, Patronage and Exploration have become really interesting, powerful and well worth exploring.

If you would like to help out by submitting a map you've rolled with this mod, please send me a PM.

What is the NQ mod? How do I install it?

For this challenge you will need NQ Mod 10.0 and HB Maps 7.1

Instructions for installation and changelogs are available on those links, as well as the downloads themselves.

NOTE: Install the Mod as a local, SP mod. The MP mod has to be installed like a DLC and is 'on all the time'. For this series, and SP gaming in general, I recommend the SP only Mod.

Note: This Mod only works with Windows. Mac players are advised to use Bootcamp to install Windows alongside OS X if they wish to explore the full world of Civ 5 BNW Mods.

Why The Ottomans?

Well, since their UA has been completely replaced, and their UUs significantly buffed, it gives us another chance to look at them, and see how they measure up on this Deity modded map.

What do I have to do in this game?

Win, whichever way you like! Suggested VCs are Diplomatic or Domination, but you can do whatever you like. Play a Science game if you want to see how it works with this mod. The focus should be on winning, since these games will no doubt be a tad harder than previous Deity challenge series. After that, I guess the best players will be competing for finish times.

About the map

Spoiler :
Type: HB Pangaea
Size: Standard, Low Sea Level
Theme: Opponents chosen as those nations historically conquered by the Ottomans. No alteration to the rolled map.

Roleplaying:

Spoiler :
Diplomatic - can your empire can bring a Pax Ottomana to the continent?

Domination - can you fight all the way to central Europe and reverse the outcome of the Battle of Vienna, where the Ottomans were turned back by
Spoiler :
Winged Hussars
?

Difficulty:

Spoiler :

Diplomatic: Hard
Domination: Very hard

Starting location picture in attachments

Attachments

• Ottomans.Civ5Save
    518.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 20160512104606_1.jpg
    20160512104606_1.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 473
Alright, I'll be diving headfirst into this sometime soon then. Quick question though, does This wonderful creation still apply with the NQ Mod in action? I've read all about NQMod and watched FilthyRobot's video describing it (Can't like to youtube at the moment or I would.), but I haven't actually tried it yet. That guide I linked to above is coming up on its 1 year anniversary actually, so is it still relevant and especially for your new series?

Thanks for describing my guide as wonderful! I am still quite new to the NQ mod myself, really, so haven't seen enough to make a call as to successful Domination strategies.

If I had to make a call, I'd say that mid and lategame warfare is going to be the time to go for it, but as I said before, I've found it much harder in general. CB rush might still be viable, but I doubt it.

Thanks for describing my guide as wonderful! I am still quite new to the NQ mod myself, really, so haven't seen enough to make a call as to successful Domination strategies.

If I had to make a call, I'd say that mid and lategame warfare is going to be the time to go for it, but as I said before, I've found it much harder in general. CB rush might still be viable, but I doubt it.

You're welcome, it does a great job combining all of the domination strategies we know and love. I try to re-read it before starting a domination run since I'm always so rusty at this game.

The changes to the ottomans make cannon-rush to be the best use of the UU's and UA. I will go for that for sure, Filling Honor first and hopefully be halfway through commerce by the time I have my cannons ready to fire.

EDIT2: This link will help for those of us wondering what the NQ Mod has changed: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1me025Vepd3qXN5QqQtqakPUuSfQmk8D5Jv15SZp9ly8/edit Be prepared for a some serious re-thinking of the strategies currently used.

Before I jump in on this series, can someone save me the trouble and tell me if it will work on a Mac? I'm sure it's been answered but there are a lot of threads discussing different mods and mac compatibility and I'm not only a bit confused as to which work and which don't, but I'm also too lazy to scroll back and figure it out for myself.

Before I jump in on this series, can someone save me the trouble and tell me if it will work on a Mac? I'm sure it's been answered but there are a lot of threads discussing different mods and mac compatibility and I'm not only a bit confused as to which work and which don't, but I'm also too lazy to scroll back and figure it out for myself.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IkOmP-fbO66BnKy4smW-FyKUyWuw8ViyObcOAc90Cbw/edit Looks like the only thing that works with a mac is Itunes! :badcomp: I may be wrong about this though, I got this link from the google doc above which is from the Reddit that this mod came from. But you'll see in the installation instructions that there is no love for Apple in this Mod. :assimilate: Come back to windows...

EDIT1: Consentient is on a MAC, but he's dual-booting with windows I believe.

The mod is for Windows only. However, it's only an hour's work to get Windows on a Mac. If you want my help, just send a PM.

So I'm reading up on the NQ Mods and there are some pretty good changes.

It looks like a SV just got harder, some of the strongest civs got nerf'd, and I love what they did for Brazil. Thank you very much for not screwing with the Incas.

Oh this is brutal. It's like Deity plus: Petra t50, Chichen Itza t60, and 21 gpt to distract a neighbor marching an army on me. Silly, I thought I could go ez-pz Liberty.

T125 AI Industrial. Uh, I wanted to go for Domination, but now I don't even know. I haven't even entered the Renaissance, though my Liberty game is rapidly picking up steam.

I think the NQ works better for a wider game and it encourages early conquest. Not sure how it works on Deity, since I've been playing it on Immortal

it's a community made map script that improves the base game maps by a lot. Basically it gives much more resources, luxuries and terrain features while decreasing and smoothing out "bad" terrain like long mountain ranges, wide swamps and all. You don't need to have them installed for this to work AFAIK,

What is HB Pangaea? I also ask what is hellblazer continents that was on one challenege

It's a map script designed to balance the game by doing things like removing choke points, and making luxuries more available. HB Pangaea/Continents are just the map script applied to the respective map.

Cheers Acken, I'll update the OP. Are you gonna try a Domination attempt on this map? Worthy of your efforts, I reckon ;)

Top Bottom