Community Deity Game #14 - The Celts

consentient

Domination!
What is CDG?

Apart from being the airport code for Paris Charles de Gaulle airport, the CDG is a community Deity game series. It is the successor to the popular DCL (Deity Challenge Line-up) game that ran in 2014/15. There are, however, notable differences.

What are the differences?

Firstly, some games will have mods enabled, which were always avoided on the DCL, since the rationale was that it would exclude a lot of people that wanted to play, as not everyone may have been able to run them. But I think it’s become clear that only a hardcore of regular Deity players remain, plus a few who are trying to ‘move up’ to Deity. Additionally, many of us that have been playing Civ 5 BNW for a long time crave some extra variety, and some use of mods was seen as a way to achieve this.

Secondly, there will be suggested VCs (Victory Conditions) and a list of Achievements for each map.

Map #14 - 'With A Little Celt From My Friends'

Mods Used:
Spoiler :
Historical Religions Complete, which gives some nice flavour...

and Pikes to Muskets, brought back from the very first CDG, which means our Pictish Warriors can remain relevant gamelong.

Suggested VC: Domination or Culture

Achievements:

Spoiler :
1. The Melee Archipelago: keep a minimal ratio of x Melee unit per ranged or siege unit at all time during the game
a) 3 Melee unit per ranged/siege unit 1p
b) 5 Melee unit per ranged/siege unit 2p
c) 10 Melee unit per ranged/siege unit 3p
d) 15 Melee unit per ranged/siege unit 4p

NOTES ON TYPES OF UNITS:

1. All units, whether trained, bought, donated by CS gifts, etc., count according to their class

2. For the purposes of this game, scarchers do not count as ranged, so you do not have to disband them to maintain a certain ratio. But park them in a city or otherwise keep them out of combat.

3. If you can't be bothered to read the guide linked in 1., just build a load of Pikes, Swords, Muskets and Rifles. That's the point of this game.

EDIT: I guess I need to be clearer.

The final list of Melee units:

Warriors (and Brutes)
Swordsmen
Spearmen
Pikes
Landsknechts
Longswordsmen
Muskets
Rifles
GWI
Foreign Legion
Infantry
Marines (although why anyone would make these is beyond me since they're inferior to Infantry)

I'm including Landsknechts and Marines since people might use them, but they are the only ones that are not on the Riflemen line with the Mod in place

2. Quad Pike: get x Melee units that have FOUR promotions other than Shock/Drill at the end of the game
a) 5 Melee units 1p
b) 10 Melee units 2p
c) 15 Melee units 3p
d) 20 Melee units 4p

3. Whirling Skirmish: kill at least x enemy Melee units during the course of the game
a) 10 Melee units 1p
b) 20 Melee units 2p
c) 30 Melee units 3p
d) 40 Melee units 4p

4. Ownership of the Isles: (from the Intro text) self-found x cities
a) 7 cities 1p
b) 8 cities 2p
c) 9 cities 3p
d) 10 cities 4p

5. Everlasting Victory: (from the Intro text) eliminate x AI from the game
a) 4 AI 1p
b) 5 AI 2p
c) 6 AI 3p
d) 7 AI 4p

Thanks go to DanQuayle for setting the achievements.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• celts.jpg
    celts.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Celts.Civ5Save
    542.7 KB · Views: 197
Thanks for posting! I think I will settle two hexes due west to unlock Observatory and (thinking far too ahead) Solar Plant.

Remember, for the Pikes to Muskets mod, you have to Load Mods and then open the start file. Likewise, any time you reload your saves, you have to go back to the Main Menu and Load Mods again, then load the save. Otherwise the mod goes kaput! (We get spoiled by many mods which auto-load the mod when you load a game.) Unless someone found a better way?

Scarchers don't count, all others do.

How about a caveat that you're in the clear if you immediately disband a CS gift? Otherwise I have to DOW any military CS that I inadvertently befriend, lest they give me an archer. :p

Thanks for posting the map. I ran into a bit of an issue. I downloaded the Religious mod and already had the pikes->swords installed (although this mod didn't work for me last game, I thought because I neglected to enable mods each time I opened a save).

Again, I'm on a Mac and didn't follow some kind suggestions for running Windows on the Mac because I'm just going to go buy a PC laptop as soon as I get off crutches and can drive again.

So, here are the screenshots.

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 5.16.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 5.17.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 5.17.45 PM.jpg

(Note: in the 3rd screenshot in the bottom right hand corner it says "not all required mods are installed" in a lovely shade of red denial)

Any suggestions?

(Also, as an aside, can one of you RSG's please suggest the best PC laptop for high performance video/gaming?)

Note: in the 3rd screenshot in the bottom right hand corner it says "not all required mods are installed" in a lovely shade of red denial
I have not loaded it yet, but I seem to recall that there are two versions of pikes->muskets. Maybe try the whoward version?

Also, as an aside, can one of you RSG's please suggest the best PC laptop for high performance video/gaming?
What is RSG? Why not a Mac Book with Boot Camp? Dell sells Alienware nowadays, so that is a safe bet.

I have not loaded it yet, but I seem to recall that there are two versions of pikes->muskets. Maybe try the whoward version?

What is RSG? Why not a Mac Book with Boot Camp? Dell sells Alienware nowadays, so that is a safe bet.

I'll try that version later, thanks.

RSG = Really Smart Guy. It's a term of endearment for those of you who know more about techie stuff than uneducated louts like myself.

Regarding Boot Camp and Alienware: I have no clue what these are. I'm not too lazy to read some reviews so thanks for the suggestions. Any other options I should look into? I only switched to a Mac a few years ago because they are better at processing underwater video, but I'm finding having 2 laptops may be more "convenient" (if I may borrow a Hillary excuse).

I get "Required DLC not available" for both Pikeman to Musketman v1 and v2.

(Also, as an aside, can one of you RSG's please suggest the best PC laptop for high performance video/gaming?)
Unfortunately, laptops are just not good for gaming, and I learned it the hard way. Laptops overheat easily, and they will always take longer to process stuff. I recently bought a new desktop because my laptop was becoming unbearable. Now I can play Civ on the highest settings, and even late game AI turns take a few seconds.

It's better to just have a computer for games and a computer for work and other stuff. Macs in general have very weak processing when it comes to videogames, and Macbooks Air can barely run Microsoft Office. :lol: Macs can do things Windows can't and vice versa. Windows is hands down better for games.

Unfortunately, laptops are just not good for gaming, and I learned it the hard way. Laptops overheat easily, and they will always take longer to process stuff. I recently bought a new desktop because my laptop was becoming unbearable. Now I can play Civ on the highest settings, and even late game AI turns take a few seconds.

It's better to just have a computer for games and a computer for work and other stuff. Macs in general have very weak processing when it comes to videogames, and Macbooks Air can barely run Microsoft Office. :lol: Macs can do things Windows can't and vice versa. Windows is hands down better for games.

Interesting. Can you suggest a really good gaming desktop computer? I've got a couple of good monitors already if that matters.

Edit: I just realized that if I get a desk top I might have to also get a desk.

Interesting. Can you suggest a really good gaming desktop computer? I've got a couple of good monitors already if that matters.

Edit: I just realized that if I get a desk top I might have to also get a desk.

If you're feeling up to it, building your own isn't a bad option. It takes more brainpower to set up scuba gear for a dive than it does to put together the parts that make up a gaming rig. Anyways, to get the best bang for your buck, I'd go with a PC with the following specs:

Processor: Intel I5-etc.
RAM: 8 gb or more
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 960

Every other desktop spec if irrelevant, that is all you need and I wouldn't go below it (or above it because things get expensive fast...). I could care less about AMD, so if anyone wants to chime in with those feel free. This topic is hotly debated...

Basically what Wild_Woojsha said. If you already have monitors, then buying a good desktop tower is going to cost just as much as buying a full laptop. A desktop can fir bigger parts and has more powerful fans, so you won't have the problem of overheating and slowing down with performance -- which is very much the problem with games like Civ.

I personally just walked into Best Buy and looked a the options because I really don't have time to put together a computer or wait for deliveries, but there is this site: http://www.newegg.com. You can put together your own thing for cheaper or buy parts you want and assemble it at home. I think they ship from Irvine or Riverside or something, and maybe they even have a warehouse... anyway, the only thing to keep in mind when buying a new computer or assembling one is your monitors' video input, i.e. if the cable is VGA, then you need to make sure there is a VGA outlet in the graphics card, and if it is HDMI, then you gotta have HDMI. Basically, you want to make sure you can plug in your monitors (this can actually be an issue with customized gaming towers, since they replace a video card, so you have to check to make sure).

And like the previous poster said, rigging can get outdated fairly quickly (6 months for graphics cards :eek: ), as there is competition between companies, but it's really not that big of a deal because games don't evolve as fast. You'd want something on the higher end, since Civ VI is coming, but whatever you get now is still going to last fine for a while. There is no need to stay on top of trends... like I said, most games run fine even on older computers. I could still play Civ on a 2012 Samsung laptop just ok.

I could care less about AMD, so if anyone wants to chime in with those feel free. This topic is hotly debated...
AMD sucks. It gave me so many headaches when it would randomly stop working and I would have to spend several hours figuring out the right drivers. But we will see how long this Nvidia runs without problems.

So does “The Melee Archipelago” implies this is an Archipelago map? Was map altered using IGE? A couple of the achievements mention “intro text”. What intro text?

I will be building as many of the UU as I can, but I will probably end up sabotaging the intent of the first achievement anyway -- by waiting on bombers. I tried to take cities with melee units for the Zulu CDG map, but got no where at all.

I think I will settle two hexes due west to unlock Observatory and (thinking far too ahead) Solar Plant.
Oops, that would nerf the UA faith buff from 3+ adjacent forests. SIP it is!

Regarding Boot Camp and Alienware: I have no clue what these are.

Boot Camp is the Apple supported way of running Windows on your iMac or Mac Book. It turns your Mac into a quite decent Windows machine. It does requiring restarting you Mac, and you do not have access to any of your Mac stuff while running Windows. Consentient recently reported that Civ5 runs cooler, faster, and with better graphics under Boot Camp than it does natively. That experience is consistent with everything I have every read elsewhere.

Alienware was a line of high end computers. They had a reputation for their cheesy form factor and for being over priced. They got bought out by Dell, I guess because Dell had realized they were losing the PC gamer market? The cheese factor has been reduced, as well as the markup. You could easily do worse.

I'm not too lazy to read some reviews so thanks for the suggestions.
Good luck with that. The competition used to be interesting. But even then, side-by-side reporting were not that common. New models get reviewed, but the writing is for gear heads. There is not much Consumer Digest style comparison. AFAIK the PC market brand names have been reduced to just HP and Dell.

I gave up building my own computers 15+ years ago. A PC is a commodity. Rolling your own makes about as much sense nowadays as building your own toaster. Get off my lawn!

...I gave up building my own computers 15+ years. A PC is a commodity. Rolling your own makes about as much sense nowadays as building your own toaster. Get off my lawn!
Its a bit offtopic, but I'll try to give some on-topic examples (will not use "car" in my examples, but use "civ5") :p

For me, PC is like (on-topic example!) Civ5 or Skyrim. It's moddable.

I do play "standard" Civ5. But as Civ5 is moddable, I also play mods. Why use only half if I can use all that is available?

With mods, I can extend games lifetime by alot.

Same is with PC. I can open the box and mod it. That new fancy game is slow, swap GFX card. Everything feals slow, swap HDD for a new solid state one, etc ... with swaping individual components, I can extend PCs lifetime by alot.

For the record, I have a self built desktop. This is my workstation, server, mainframe. And a notebook for when I need/want mobility. Yes, I also have a phone that is more then just a "device for voice comunication".

What kind of PC to buy:
- not weaker then current consoles
- so 64-bit
- 8Gb RAM if you want "vannila" games. More then 8Gb if you will run mods
- for processor, Intel is better then AMD. I5 is a good choice. Fast but not too expensive
- GFX with 3-4 GB of video RAM. More is better. Most games are developed for consoles. New consoles are better then they used to be. So don't go too cheap.

Note: even if you "fail', you realise that you bought a PC that is too weak, no problem. Open the box, swap something. Sell old on component on EBay, buy a new one. Good thing about PC is that you don't need to buy the whole thing.

Edit: About mods used. That Pikes to Muskets one makes it harder for you(player).

Thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. I've probably hijacked this thread enough, but will post a new thread in the next few days after I've made a purchase helped by the collective wisdom here.

Has anyone opened the save file yet?

About mods used. That Pikes to Muskets one makes it harder for you (player).
How so? Just because the AI also gets to upgrade their hoard of Pikes?

Still, I love being able to keep the UU relevant. Do they not keep their faith-for-kills promotion?

Has anyone opened the save file yet?

How so? Just because the AI also gets to upgrade their hoard of Pikes?

Still, I love being able to keep the UU relevant. Do they not keep their faith-for-kills promotion?

Faith-for-kills is not kept on upgrade for Celts. Bonus outside of friendly territory is kept.

Scarchers don't count, all others do.

From T0 to TWIN

Just to clarify if I get CS gift before having 15 melee units I cant get full points from that category? Or do I get full points if I delete or gift that ranged unit to CS on same turn?

Top Bottom