NEW Deity Challenge II - The Maya

consentient

Domination!

What is this challenge series? Why another one?

The NQ Mod adds so many new dimensions to the game compared with base BNW, that I really want to explore them through shared games.

Among other benefits too innumerable to mention all of them, Honor, Patronage and Aesthetics have become really interesting, powerful and well worth exploring.

If you would like to help out by submitting a map you've rolled with this mod, please send me a PM.

What is the NQ mod? How do I install it?

For this challenge you will need NQ Mod 10.0 and HB Maps 7.1

Instructions for installation and changelogs are available on those links, as well as the downloads themselves.

NOTE: Install the Mod as a local, SP mod. The MP mod has to be installed like a DLC and is 'on all the time'. For this series, and SP gaming in general, I recommend the SP only Mod.

Note: This Mod only works with Windows. Mac players are advised to use Bootcamp to install Windows alongside OS X if they wish to explore the full world of Civ 5 BNW Mods.

Why The Maya?

The UA alone creates many interesting choices throughout the course of a game. They are a top-tier civ, and it will be interesting to see how they fare with the changes of the NQ mod

What do I have to do in this game?

Win, whichever way you like! Suggested VCs are Culture or Science, but you can do whatever you like. Play a Domination game if you want to see how it works with this mod. The focus should be on winning. After that, I guess the best players will be competing for finish times.

About the map

Spoiler :
Type: HB Continents
Size: Standard
Theme: Opponents chosen. No alteration to the rolled map.

Difficulty:

Spoiler :

Easy

Starting location picture in attachments

Attachments

• maya2.Civ5Save
    510.2 KB · Views: 112
  • maya.jpg
    maya.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 354
I'm hoping to finally have a good game as Mayans, for some reason there exists quite a curse :lol:

love this map, you were right! i don't want to spoiler anything about the map so i'll keep quiet with the details so far.

i'm 70 turns in and already settled 8 cities exactly where i wanted them. probably going to go for a wide science or culture game. i got second religion, 2 worker steals from neighbours and 1 from cs, got pyramids early and never had worker problems. also pillaged two caravans and snatched a settler.

i got second religion and the perfect pantheon plus pagodas. my only gripe is not having anyone to trade with because i am warring with the entire map :lol:

lately i've been playing my openings extremely offensive, i almost always dow two or three civs for workers, trade routes, settlers, pillages and, most importantly, to completely stop their forward settling attempts. been working out nicely for me. i used to only dow one ai every game and steal their worker, then make peace asap for better diplo.

I think I'll play this first since it's "easy - deity" vs. the Ottomans which is "hard".

love this map, you were right! i don't want to spoiler anything about the map so i'll keep quiet with the details so far.

i'm 70 turns in and already settled 8 cities exactly where i wanted them. probably going to go for a wide science or culture game. i got second religion, 2 worker steals from neighbours and 1 from cs, got pyramids early and never had worker problems. also pillaged two caravans and snatched a settler.

i got second religion and the perfect pantheon plus pagodas. my only gripe is not having anyone to trade with because i am warring with the entire map :lol:

lately i've been playing my openings extremely offensive, i almost always dow two or three civs for workers, trade routes, settlers, pillages and, most importantly, to completely stop their forward settling attempts. been working out nicely for me. i used to only dow one ai every game and steal their worker, then make peace asap for better diplo.

Did you wait until Collective rule for settlers, I find it really dangerous to wait for it because usually by then an Immortal/Deity AI might have already boxed you in

T259 DiploV

Spoiler :
When I first saw the map, I understood why you labeled it easy, as there is so much good land and no really nasty neighbors. I ended up going Tradition, which wasn't that exciting, but it worked. Liberty seems like it would work well here, but I don't always do well with it. Starting Honor would be interesting too... I may have to try again doing that.

Peaceful start, and by T180 I almost quit, as Siam had gotten influential culture with every civ except France, with whom he was at 50%. I had never seen an AI get that much tourism so fast. I think I was the first to succumb to the lure of their blue jeans and pop music, as I did a very poor job developing my own culture.

I decided to go for a science win, although it would have been faster to just beeline globalization. I had built all but one SS part, and needed two more techs before I could buy it, when the world leader vote came up and I won it. Thanks to the revised Patronage policy, you don't need globalization, world ideology, or world religion to win on the first vote. I did it just with CS allies and patronage.

I have to thank France for saving the game; in the nearly 80 turns from 180 to 259, Siam only got from 50 to 72% influence.

Spoiler :

Wow, your minimap is totally different to mine at the moment. In my game,
Spoiler :
Harald
has taken over almost all of the other continent.

@st:

I never do. BO in cap was Scout/Scout/Pyramid/Mon/Archer/Settler/Pyramids/Spam Settlers with CR.

Though if I had to replay the map Id do 2 Settlers before CR! Much better to get key expo spots.

Well I'll try both variants and see if there's any major differences there. Or I could bin it and CB the continent into submission if it's possible

Nope, even with bribes there's no way to avoid an early double DoW because of aggressive expansion which triggers at 5 cities. It's easily more punishing than base game

I never even got into the situation where i got double DOWed because I DOWed everyone on this map as soon as i saw a Worker :lol:

Expanded 7 cities, though i might even go for 9 cities total now. Then later swallow india for the most insane lategame bulbs with the indian cap added.

Funnily enough, I've been experimenting with Acken Mod today and found the exact same thing. Maybe there is some AI behaviour line of code that works the same in both mods that causes it.

It's a shame if the mods don't actually reward, or at least not overly punish, settling more than 6 cities. Cuz 4 cities is almost default and boring.

I had double DoW's too, but I reloaded ( :) ) and sold away everything and a kitchen sink to build my wide expire in peace. Even aside from AI aggression, early mid game with Liberty is a little tricky: you settled all your cities, but now you need to grow them, connect them, and pay all the maintenance. When neighbors hate you, luxury trade is hard, and when you have many cities, you need the gold. This map has quite a bit of gold going on, but I had to struggle and min-max road building and even delaying connecting cities pre-markets. It's pretty much a smooth sailing now because I am entering Industrial around t150 with 200 gpt, but that required several reload to stay at peace. ;) Probably will go for ez diplo, since I don't want to churn out tourism (that's for the Celts map) and feel too lazy for Domination, and wide science was done recently.

I'm a bit sad to say it, but this mod is unplayable in peaceful wide mode. You either settle 4 cities and hope for the best or kill everyone before you get killed yourself. Whether or not you'll be able to bribe your way into survival is a roll of the dice. At least on Deity. So I'm skipping this :)

I seem to not remember this being such an issue in V9 or earlier

I had double DoW's too, but I reloaded ( :) ) and sold away everything and a kitchen sink to build my wide expire in peace. Even aside from AI aggression, early mid game with Liberty is a little tricky: you settled all your cities, but now you need to grow them, connect them, and pay all the maintenance. When neighbors hate you, luxury trade is hard, and when you have many cities, you need the gold. This map has quite a bit of gold going on, but I had to struggle and min-max road building and even delaying connecting cities pre-markets. It's pretty much a smooth sailing now because I am entering Industrial around t150 with 200 gpt, but that required several reload to stay at peace. ;) Probably will go for ez diplo, since I don't want to churn out tourism (that's for the Celts map) and feel too lazy for Domination, and wide science was done recently.

For me it is the exact same experience. NC takes forever with 7 or 8 cities, your cities won't grow well early, you'll be happiness starved, have very little gold for CS and tile buys, have very little science and are generally vulnerable on your borders. After T100 it starts to really grow insanely fast and you catch up to smaller empires.

I'm about to start NC and will then settle a very, very late last city at around T95 or T100. Don't know if it will even pay off, don't really care :lol:

My neighbours religions have spread into every single one of my cities which I don't mind. Both have great Pantheons. I got a religion with Tithe and the Temple bonuses, about to get Religious Community next probably. Maybe happiness from shrines because I've been unhappy for over 10 turns and it's crippling me a lot. Got all the luxes in my empire online but still screwed because I cannot trade.

I stole a total of 5 Workers iirc and got Pyramids so that's something. Rn sitting on 9 Workers, 1 hardbuilt.

NC takes forever with 7 or 8 cities
I had 8-city NC on t83 with Liberty GE. I had enough money for the library in the 8th city, but I decided to use the gold to buy tiles and founded the city the turn NC was finished.

You don't take the scientist for Liberty finisher, do you? :p I think it's totally worth to bulb on NC or even some other wonder, like Notre Dame (if it were ever possible to get on Deity). It's pretty difficult to work the early scientist tile in a Liberty game, unless you have and are willing to sacrifice something like cows.

T242 CV

I decided to give myself a couple of handicaps: no coastal cities and no concert tours, so T242 is when I became passively influential. In the end, it was
Spoiler :
Liz
of all people who was last to buy the jeans.

I went 4 city Tradition, and would have gone for 5 but
Spoiler :
Trollface
stole my last spot. Did manage to get LV though, which was nice as it helped the city catch up faster. Did anyone else find that the two Eastern AIs ignored the spot?

My 2nd city was a beast, and I hard built Petra in it, and some other wonders. I even had a Guild there.

This mod is really good for CVs, I'm finding out, but there are lots of challenges on the way. Again, I paid a fortune in bribes and had to keep a keen eye out for what my neighbours were up to. Also, even though the improved Aesthetics tree helps the human player, it also means that the AI will go after Antiquities even more ruthlessly. Going for Archaeology ASAP really worked out.

I'll pass all feedback to the modder.

Attachments

• 20160518201633_1.jpg
    20160518201633_1.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 113
I wanted to try out liberty+piety(+aesthetics?) culture victory, probably without rationalism.

Spoiler :

SP: liberty settler - piety open and left 1 - liberty finish - more piety

BO: scout - monument - scout - pyramid - granary - scout - archers - settlers after liberty policy

Worker steals: 3 from Hanoi (NW of cap) - horse tile was a easy target. 2 from Siam. 3 from India (1 settler, 2 workers). I didn't even bother pyramid as I had enough workers already.

t59: 7 cities up, and religion - tithe and pagoda.
Spoiler :

India denounced me and had #1 army: I had to get CBs and used CS units to protect my range units, and destroyed all Indian army. He offered 2nd city, but I took all gold, gpt, and marble. He built several wonders which will be mine later.

t76: theology. I already built oracle and enhanced religion - mosque and itinerant preachers.
Spoiler :

Sweden became #1 army, and attacked me. Without loss, I killed his army and will burn down his 3rd city, and get a sweet peace deal.

I used liberty finisher GE and first UA GE to rush NC and Grand temple (this one is overkill, but I thought grand temple is just too cool)

t96: education.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Wow glory7, looks like you're cruising for a very fast win

honestly amazed by your playthrough glory. i thought i did well in the stealing department.. still got a lot of things to learn :lol:

my cities are way smaller and my infrastructure way behind, so is my military. when did you get the compbow upgrade and how did you get the gold? did you send TR to the neighbors?

what really grinds my gears is that i can't seem to find the perfect city settlement spots for this game. i'm always missing a crucial tile somewhere.

for example that western coastal city you settled.. i hate that spot. but i'll put mine down there, too, because it's just the only good option for a coastal city.

sadly the spot near the cap with the triple fish just blows. only one mine, no source of hammers whatsoever.

Top Bottom