Gods and Kings Mac

To clarify my earlier comment.

I'm mostly spitting vinegar because of my bad experiences w/ bootcamp on my '09 MBPs.

I have two '09 MBPs (2.66 w/ 4 G RAM and SSDs). Both overheat under bootcamp w/ Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit when running CPU/GPU intensive apps and games. It is possible to use the smcfancontrol app to spin up the fans to the max before booting into Windows which can prolong the time before the machines go into heat shutdown. I went back and forth with Apple and MS about this for a few months. They blame each other with MS saying that Apple's drivers are poorly written and Apple saying that the OS is faulty. I did try a fresh install of W7 a while ago when Apple updated the bootcamp drivers for the MBP, no joy.

I know I'm not the only person with the problem for that vintage of MBP. I'm told that lower clock rate MBPs from the same vintage and subsequent model MBPs don't have this problem, though I don't have experience with either. If this is true, it is a pretty convincing argument that it is more of a hardware design flaw of Apple.

Anyway, I hope that bootcamp works for those who want it to.

To clarify my earlier comment.

I'm mostly spitting vinegar because of my bad experiences w/ bootcamp on my '09 MBPs.

You're probably right about the hardware flaw, at least for gaming. I haven't heard anything good about that vintage of MBP (09) for gaming at all.

I'm on an 09 desktop/tower, so my experiences are different. Seems like anyone stuck with the 09 MBPs basically goes Bootcamp because it works better in Win 7, but it's still not 'good'.

It seems like Apple didn't really 'notice' gaming issues till the launch of Starcraft 2, when Blizzard came to them with a big laundry list of stuff that needed to be fixed. That seemed to be the impetus for the 'graphics update' that Apple put out shortly after, and the dropping of nVidia for a time because of the drivers. Looks like the new MBPs have nVidia GPUs in them, but unless I misunderstood a post in another thread, those are working much better than the 09 nVidia GPUs did under OS X.

Top Bottom