Civilization 5 Rants Thread

I don't need that many words, i no i don't think Civ IV is much better then III. I don't like the graphical presentation, like showing three or more pikes to let you see you have ONE unit of that type. It clutters the map, making it harder to "read".
You do realise you can click a button in the options to turn Civ4 into single unit graphics, right? ;)

Reasons why I'm quiting Civ 5 for now and going back to Civ 4:

1.all the civs are pretty much the same, unique units, building and power have little to no impact in the game. I want civs with multiple leaders with combinations of different traits, not stupid powers.

2. the policy system sucks, I like the old system where you change between governments. This current system lets you have everything active at once, it doesn't make sense. You can't be facist and communist at the same time, thats stupid.

3. no tax/luxury/research slider. I like to be able to have more control of my economy then this game lets me have.

4.Cities being able to work tiles 3 squares away. This is excessive, I don't like to have lots of overlap, but this makes my empire too spread out.

5.units being able to walk on water without boarding a ship. This is just silly.

6.Not being able to stack units. Stacks got excessive in earlier games, but you should still be able to at least stack 5-10 units.

7. Not being able to bribe Monty with techs to serve as an attack dog. That took a lot of the fun out the game right there.

8. no state religions and holy cities anymore.

Basically I think the game took several steps backwards from Civ 4.

on the forums right now
general discussion........................Civ IV - 41 ........Civ V - 66
strategy and tips..........................Civ IV - 51 .......Civ V - 36
Creation and customization.........Civ IV - 109 ......Civ V - 33

Alexander: For the good of our two nations, let us make peace.
Me: Propose Peace Treaty for Peace Treaty.
Alexander: That is not at acceptable, you must offer a fair deal!
Me: What would make this deal work?
Alexander: There is no way to make this work... For the good of our two nations, let us make peace.

And there you have it. This was the result of an Alexander unprovoked attack on turn 30. there were no negative modifiers I diplomacy. i didn't even found a second city. He was hostile at turn 20 for no reason. Despite this, the above conversation shows the pure logic of the diplomacy system (or at least shows how the 'text' doesn't match the AI intent. :rolleyes:

Immortal, Standard Continents, He was also heavily REXing, while having the biggest army in the world: An example of how broke AI production bonuses are.

I've also had this: A AI seems to want to make peace but refuses any possible peace deal. Maybe it is a bug?

The AI does this if it's the second time around that you're at war with them. They'll only barely accept a peace treaty.

I think that message means that the AI is only willing to make peace, but it may come at a price. If it's early game you probably don't have enough available to bribe him with.

Yes, this strange and rare bug is definitely undeniable and irrefutable proof that the ENTIRE DIPLOMACY SYSTEM IS COMPLETE TRASH.

Come off it. Nobody is saying there aren't bugs and such to work out. I think instead, we are all trying to weed through this whole new system and figure out what is working, and where the bugs are. There ARE bugs, but the system as a whole is good and will get better... once the bugs are worked out.

If you would like to see evidence of some of these bugs getting fixed, check out the newest patch notes.

I do not really see the point of this thread, but in my opinion you might have a lower stress level if you just quit ciV.

Yes, this strange and rare bug is definitely undeniable and irrefutable proof that the ENTIRE DIPLOMACY SYSTEM IS COMPLETE TRASH.

Come off it. Nobody is saying there aren't bugs and such to work out. I think instead, we are all trying to weed through this whole new system and figure out what is working, and where the bugs are. There ARE bugs, but the system as a whole is good and will get better... once the bugs are worked out.

If you would like to see evidence of some of these bugs getting fixed, check out the newest patch notes.

I do not really see the point of this thread, but in my opinion you might have a lower stress level if you just quit ciV.

It is not remotely rare! it happens all of the time! again and again and again!

In addition, it is a pretty much undisputed fact that the diplomacy system is awful. Just because the've added vague messages in doesn't been its any better than the garbage that was with the initial release. Its a completely unrealistic silly system, which encourages you to never trust or make friends with anybody!

Whats the benefit of making friends? Give us your excess resources for free or we'll tell the world your a b*stard before convincing everyone else to drnounce you then gang DOW you! PS. You can't freely request anything from us! ;)

Great. what a great moral here! Friends are worthless, hate everybody! :)

Moderator Action: After this post 1 spam post has got deleted. The_J

why are civ5 diplomacy issues still not adressed after all those patches and DLCs?

please don't tell me that the AI seeks to win and that this is part of a war game. civ5 diplomacy is bad, very bad. and unfortunately that's the only bad thing i can point out except minor bugs here and there and unique abilities and units that were not well thought through.

why is there no permanent peace agreement (like in civ4)? why are there no vassal states?

there is absolutely nothing that can be done to please another civ to form an alliance.

if you expand too much: they will hate u
if you are too weak: they will pick on u

even if you liberate a civ, they will spit in your face. not to mention that everyone denounce everyone all the time.

nonsense.

Moderator Action: Moved to rant thread.

on the forums right now
general discussion........................Civ IV - 41 ........Civ V - 66
strategy and tips..........................Civ IV - 51 .......Civ V - 36
Creation and customization.........Civ IV - 109 ......Civ V - 33

The creation and customization numbers there are what trouble me most.

The creation and customization numbers there are what trouble me most.

It seems reasonable given the amount of time 4 has been out, and the amount of very in-depth mods and modpacks available for it. Also, there is no "modbuddy" for 4, and I think this site might be a common place for people to look for 4 mods.

From a statistical standpoint, those numbers are pretty much meaningless the way they stand.

It is not remotely rare! it happens all of the time! again and again and again!

In addition, it is a pretty much undisputed fact that the diplomacy system is awful. Just because the've added vague messages in doesn't been its any better than the garbage that was with the initial release. Its a completely unrealistic silly system, which encourages you to never trust or make friends with anybody!

Whats the benefit of making friends? Give us your excess resources for free or we'll tell the world your a b*stard before convincing everyone else to drnounce you then gang DOW you! PS. You can't freely request anything from us! ;)

Great. what a great moral here! Friends are worthless, hate everybody! :)

Moderator Action: After this post 1 spam post has got deleted. The_J

An undisputed fact? I dispute that. The SYSTEM is not awful. The BUGS in the system however, are practically debilitating.

EVEN STILL - I can manage to game the diplomacy system. I can maintain friendships, and alliances, and I almost always understand why someone attacked me.

Yea, there are bugs in the system. But in order to get any progress, we have got to learn to differentiate between PROCESSES and the entire SYSTEM. Individual processes have issues (such as re-gaining positive reputation), and the system has bugs (such as multiple DoW from the same civ on the same turn, or the "I want peace - NO DICE TANTO!" stuff you listed above... but none of these completely invalidate the system.

I understand the frustration here, really I do. But what I do not understand is why, if you absolutely hate this game so much, you are still here talking about it? If you goal is to get someone to make it better... then I would suggest you think about how best to accomplish that goal.

In my opinion, you have two choices:

1) Mod it, or find a modder and convince him/her to mod it for you.
2) Sort through your personal anger and disappointment, and put a finger on exactly where these bugs are and which processes need to be improved. Then, articulate these findings to the people who have the resources and authority to fix/change it.

In my opinion, again, your current mantra of "DON'T USE WORDS WITH ME, THE SYSTEM IS GARBAGE AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT EXCEPT YOU" just isn't going to result in anything productive.

It seems reasonable given the amount of time 4 has been out, and the amount of very in-depth mods and modpacks available for it. Also, there is no "modbuddy" for 4, and I think this site might be a common place for people to look for 4 mods.

From a statistical standpoint, those numbers are pretty much meaningless the way they stand.

No, the numbers are meaningful. I get more dl's per day on my Civ4 mods than I do with my Civ5 mods. And my Civ4 mod is a hassle to install, and close to a 1tb download. :lol:

To put the numbers in perspective: In the first months after Civ4's release, the Civ4 C&C forums had more viewers than the Civ3 C&C forums, though not by much. There also was a timezone effect (at certain hours of the day the Civ3 numbers regularly surpassed the Civ4 numbers, but only for a few hours) - I interpreted that as a geographical effect, apparently in those regions of the world where more people had older computers (e.g. eastern Europe), Civ3 remained popular for longer. This is consistent with the (at that time) surprisingly high hardware requirements of Civ4.

It's not unusual that the release of a sequel reinvigorates the interest in mods of the predecessor. It is, however, pretty rare to see such a huge gap as the one between Civ4 and Civ5. Even with other explanations taken into account (Other ways of mod distribution, also the 2k forums may be taking away from CFC modding discussions on Civ5 but not Civ4 - something that could be checked), the difference still seems too large for me, and Afforess' download statistics support that impression.

I think Civ5 modding still has the potential to grow larger over time, but currently it's hard to see it surpassing Civ4 in that regard.

I'm a die hard Civ fanatic and have been playing since every game in the series since Civ1. I've registered over 85 hours on Steam on Civ5, but I can't bring myself to love the game whatsoever. :cry:

The game is fun at the very beginning, but then it drags on and there is little to no micromanagement, diplomacy is pointless, it's either constantly declare war on everyone or you won't be doing anything for decades.

I play on Immortal usually, but the AI is really terrible, they just cheat.

I've since quit Civilization 5 and went back to Beyond the Sword and even *shudder* Total War which has a lot more depth than Civ5.

They have been releasing patches which help but I feel the game itself is very flawed from the core. Don't even get me started on the pointless DLC, can't believe Civilization has become a DLC fest (I refuse to buy any).

This isn't a rant, as much as it is a plea for help. Has anyone else been experiencing what I have?

Help!!! What am I doing wrong??

Sincerely: A very sad and depressed Civ fanatic.

I have also been palying since civ1 and first I also had some troubles liking the game when it was released, but i must admit that it has gotten much better with patches.

I play on Immortal usually, but the AI is really terrible, they just cheat.

If you ask from me, this is the biggest problem with civ5. The AI is just plain stupid. I usually dont start wars but once we are in one, then the combat AI is just eaten alive by even a average player.

When going for the win, it doesnt really matter how far I am in points, I can just conquer my main rival (or at least majority of its cities) with relatively small (but strong) army. Its just so stupid, you just take care of the empire happiness and conquer your main rival, its simple really.

Top Bottom