[MOD] Medieval: Conquests

Cool. Downloading when I get the chance.

I will be uploading a patch here either today or tomorrow so check back later. Anyway, let us know what you think.

@ KJ

Hey, just tested it out and all looks great! Thanks, can't wait till you actually get to play :D

I'll work out the Cattle Icon, probably make it a solid greyish color.

Ok, You are more than welcome to help out as much as you want. Other things that need done is Tech Icons, none of those are done. I'll use what ever ones you made for the Inventor Mod if they "fit".

Also needs new Profession Icons as I haven't changed any of those.
I want to finish the Artstyles of the Muslim Civs. Adding their own buildings and City artstyles. Thats just a few of the art additions that need done.

Anyway, when you get to play if you see anything that needs improving or fixed post it here.

I'll work out the Cattle Icon, probably make it a solid greyish color.

Wait a little bit, please.

I checked some sources. According to one of them:

Dr. J.C. Rennie, Professor of Dairy Science at the University of Guelph and chair of the Canadian Holstein committee that studied the color question in the 1960s, said in his report to the Association: “Early records show that cattle of broken colours entered the Netherlands from Central Europe in the 13th century. Most were red and white. Black and whites were not common until the 18th century.”
Thus, I can propose such variant.

How to apply:

- open file "cow.nif" in NifScope program,
- click on the cow,
- find "27 NiSourceTexture" line,
- change the "Cow.dds" name on "cow3.tga" (the program accept both dds, tga and some other graphical formats),
- save cow.nif file and
- try how it looks in the game.

Attachments

• cow3.rar
    19.5 KB · Views: 157
try how it looks in the game.

That will work KJ. If you want to, color the Resource Icon, Unit Cow Icon, and the font all the same color scheme and post it for download and I'll add it to the patch.

I had grabbed the cow resource from the Sword of Islam mod. It has like 3 variants of cows skin so if anyone wanted to change it they can. We'll use your variation in the official mod as it will stand out more like you say against other resources (deer, buffalo, etc).

That will work KJ. If you want to, color the Resource Icon, Unit Cow Icon, and the font all the same color scheme and post it for download and I'll add it to the patch.

Here full set of files.

1. Medieval_cow.rar has 3 icons and full set of animation files.

Medieval cow now looks as

CowRed_Button.jpg

2. GameFonts version 5 Cows.rar (with Medieval cow),

3. resource_icons_64ea.rar (with Medieval cow)

P.S. I removed all previous versions of GameFonts and resource files. If somebody need, please, contact me.

Attachments

• Medieval_cow.rar
    174.6 KB · Views: 170
  • GameFonts version 5 Cows.rar
    202.6 KB · Views: 187
  • resource_icons_64ea.rar
    58.2 KB · Views: 141
Looks great KJ. I have an Update close to being ready. There are still some things that need to be fixed in the Gamefonts.tga. You mentioned about the second row of yields fonts in the tga and I forgot to reply to that. Those are for the buildings screen when you are in the Domestic Advisor. Thats why in the default one there is two extra fonts for the Docks and one for Stockades/Forts.

What needs done is the top row copied to the bottom row and then add the Docks and Forts fonts at the end just like in the below picture of the default Gamefonts.tga. I circled in red the other things that still need changed. The Cow and Grapes for the Bonus Resource. And the Rebel Sentiment font needs to be changed to our new Crown Loyalty font.

It will be tomorrow before I can fix these but if you had time to do that then go ahead.

Thanks again for the help.

On another note I've been thinking of ways to incorparate your Slavery Mod into this mod. Where you can unlock new Trade Routes and expand your economy. Just how to "unlock" them is what I am thinking on. I want to make it a fun thing to do and work at while playing. I want to read up some more on Medieval trade routes and Economy and maybe gets so more ideas but if anyone has any ideas on that subject then please post them :)

Pic Removed

Hey, I'm glad I stumbled upon your mod! This is an interesting idea for the Colonization game. (I wish more people would mod Colonization. The base game, if well modded, has some great possiblities.)

Tell me, though, how did you deal with the trade routs to europe in your mod?

Hey, I'm glad I stumbled upon your mod! This is an interesting idea for the Colonization game. (I wish more people would mod Colonization. The base game, if well modded, has some great possiblities.)

Tell me, though, how did you deal with the trade routs to europe in your mod?

Well, for some Civs I replaced Europe with The Fair. In medieval times Trade Fairs was the main source of commerce. At the start of the Dark Ages villages where mostly self sufficent manors and people didn't venture far. Then pedlers started to appear, often times springing from the homeless or lawless. Pedlers soon became merchants and it was the merchants that built up the towns and began the scheduled trade days called Fairs.

So, I somewhat put that in game mechanics in that at the start of the game the only way to get to these Fairs is to change a unit to the Pedler Profession. The unit will then be able to transport goods. To travel to the Fair you must be at one of your home cities. Once you issue the command to travel to the fair the game pretty much works like normal game except your moving Pedlers and Merchants not Ships.

Purchasing units is now called Summoning and you Summon units to your domain. Many kings in those times summoned craftsmen and scholars to their realm. Anyway, when you summon a unit it will either show up on the Europe Screen or appear at a random friendly city and begin traveling to your domain.

A couple of Civs still use Ships to trade with Europe. The Vikings are one. They simply sell home to the mother land. But thats pretty much it :)

There are still some things that need to be fixed in the Gamefonts.tga. You mentioned about the second row of yields fonts in the tga and I forgot to reply to that. Those are for the buildings screen when you are in the Domestic Advisor. Thats why in the default one there is two extra fonts for the Docks and one for Stockades/Forts.

What needs done is the top row copied to the bottom row and then add the Docks and Forts fonts at the end just like in the below picture of the default Gamefonts.tga. I circled in red the other things that still need changed. The Cow and Grapes for the Bonus Resource. And the Rebel Sentiment font needs to be changed to our new Crown Loyalty font.

I have a question concerning this change. Please, see the attached image.

I guess you need variant 1 without the second Horse. Please, confirm.

I circled in red the other things that still need changed. The Cow and Grapes for the Bonus Resource. And the Rebel Sentiment font needs to be changed to our new Crown Loyalty font.

I do not think these changes are necessary to do. To my opinion the game don't use these icons at all. The program takes the icon of Bonus Resource (appears in circle) from Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds. The route to this icon is given in CIV4ArtDefines_Bonus.xml.

For instance, for Iron we have
Code:
			<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,6,13</Button>

If you added your new Bonus Resource, you have to show your own route. For instance for "Placer_Gold" Bonus Resource I used such line:
Code:
	<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Resources/Placer_Gold/Placer_Gold_Button_C.dds</Button>

Thus, if you want to see your new icons for Cow, Grapes and Crown Loyalty, you have to edit the CIV4ArtDefines_Bonus.xml file and show where you have corresponding icons files.

At least for Cows and Grapes, this technique should work. I guess for "Crown Loyalty", too.

Really, in the CIV4ArtDefines_Bonus.xml file there is a line with FontButtonIndex. For Iron this line:
Code:
			<FontButtonIndex>4</FontButtonIndex>

However, please compare how looks this icon Iron1.jpg and the icon on your screen Iron2.jpg. They are different!

The program uses resource_icons_64ea.dds file to show all yields available on each tile. You already have corrected resource_icons_64ea.dds file.

I added many resources in my mods and never edit this part of GameFonts file. Last example, "1492: Gold Rush" where both "Gold" and "Placer Gold" were added as two different Bonus Resources. However, I used the same
Code:
			<FontButtonIndex>23</FontButtonIndex>
for both usual Gold and for Placer Gold bonuses.
However, we could see on the map (screen) two different icons, usual Gold Gold_Button_C.jpg and Placer Gold Placer_Gold_Button_C.jpg
They both appear as Bonuses (in circles). However, both of them looks as gold.jpg on the map.

Thus, I suppose no changes here are required.

Please, try and report result. I could make all changes only will be back home after 7-8 hours.

P.S. Ops! I have to prepare a full set icons for new Grapes.

Ok, this is what the Gamefonts.tga needs to look like in order for all the building Icons to appear correctly in the Domestic Advisor...

Pic Removed

The next part that needs to be changed is the Plot Help text as shown in this screenshot. All the screenshots below are from the game as it is with your updates...

Pic Removed

The font index for bonus cow is set to...
Code:
<FontButtonIndex>12</FontButtonIndex>

When we count from the start of the font index line starting at zero we when we get to 12 there is the cow...
That is where the game finds the FontButtonIndex.

Pic Removed

As you can see in the screen shots all looks well except for the Bonus Plot Help shown above.

Pic Removed

This is where the resource_icons_64ea appears in the game, in the City Mangement Screen. As you can see, all appears well here as well.

Pic Removed

The next part that needs to be changed is the Plot Help text as shown in this screenshot. All the screenshots below are from the game as it is with your updates...

The font index for bonus cow is set to...
Code:
<FontButtonIndex>12</FontButtonIndex>

When we count from the start of the font index line starting at zero we when we get to 12 there is the cow...
That is where the game finds the FontButtonIndex.

As you can see in the screen shots all looks well except for the Bonus Plot Help shown above.

Ops! You are right. Sorry, I did not open the game for playing last year and forget everything. :blush:

Here the modified GameFonts and the full set of Grapes icons. Grapes icon looks as Grapes_Button.jpg

Attachments

• Grape icon.rar
    4.2 KB · Views: 163
  • GameFonts variant 6.rar
    188.3 KB · Views: 150
First update is up for download...

Updates Log
Instructions: Unzip the files then copy the /Assets folder in the zip. Paste the whole Folder over your Mods/Medieval/Assets folder. Say yes when asked if you want to merge or replace existing files.

Version 1.1a
-fixed Ziri's icon
-New title song
-Corrected some spelling errors thanks to orlanth
-Loyalty has been changed to Fealty. Thanks to CivTycoon for this suggestion
-disable the Throw a Banquet command, it will be added back later when its complete
-fix and updated game fonts for all the resources. Thanks to KJ Jansson for this
-updated a few other icons like Gold, Wine, Grapes, Cattle, Fealty
-added some missing Unit sounds

@KJ

-I made just a few adjustments to your files. I made the grape Icons a bit darker to match the color in the gamefonts.
-added dark outlines for the Cattle and Grapes and a yellow outline for the Cattle resource
-I decided to put the Grapes in a crate like tools and ore are for its Icon

I had to make a quick fix so Update 1.1b is at first post

Version 1.1b
-fixed the Independence Movie
-changed Research Advisor top Button
-fixed bug that caused Conquests to begin automaticly at 200 turn, they now start at the correct 300 turns on normal speed

Sup Kailric,

Just stumbled upon this one and I will certainly give it a try.
I noticed from your first post that you are still tweaking things.

I am no good and programming but I can play test for you. Is there anything in particular you want me to check on? I know this may take a while as I learn the mechanics, but I can keep an eye out for certain things.

Let me know.

Hey! Wonderful mod! I think that you should add Porge Attitude icons and Melinko financial advisor for example, in a few weeks I will try to help you with something to improve your mod :)

Regards!

Sup Kailric,

Just stumbled upon this one and I will certainly give it a try.
I noticed from your first post that you are still tweaking things.

I am no good and programming but I can play test for you. Is there anything in particular you want me to check on? I know this may take a while as I learn the mechanics, but I can keep an eye out for certain things.

Let me know.

Well, the mechanics are pretty simple at the moment. Here is a list of things to test. I will add this to the top post as well.

1. Is it fun as the game is now. What could be improved to make it more fun.

2. Is it challenging and same as above. After the game is both fun and challenging as it is now we can look into adding new features.

3. Test Unit sounds when moving, attacking, ect. I have already found some unit sounds that where missing. If during combat effects/sounds seem to be missing let us know.

4. How difficult is the game to learn to play. There is a tutorial, does it help and what can be added to help teach the player to play.

5. Test how easy or hard it is to Research all the techs. I want the player to be able to have about 95% of the techs researched before turn 300 when the Conquest will start automaticly. So, test if this is possible or impossible.

6. Nobles to Peasant ratio. Test how easy it is to make Noble units. The populatioin ratio should not be more than 30% Nobles maybe. If two many Nobles are being made maybe there should be limits set, like only so many per city or cost to make increased.

7. Test all features as they are discribed in the help text. Do they work as intended?

Thats a good list for now.

Hey! Wonderful mod! I think that you should add Porge Attitude icons and Melinko financial advisor for example, in a few weeks I will try to help you with something to improve your mod :)

Regards!

Hey, help is much welcomed. What exactly is the Porge Attitude icons? Got a link as I havent heard of that one. I do know of Melinko financial advisor however and that would probably be a good improvement.

Wow, I haven't played Civ IV Col for a long time because... I became bored I think.

This one introduces one of my favourite time periods (in games, I am not a historian :p) so it looks sweet!

If you have some art requests, I would like to join the team.

Also if Civ IV col buildings are in the same format as for Civ IV, then I can make buildings for you (and retexture/modify a few units).

Wow, I haven't played Civ IV Col for a long time because... I became bored I think.

This one introduces one of my favourite time periods (in games, I am not a historian :p) so it looks sweet!

If you have some art requests, I would like to join the team.

Also if Civ IV col buildings are in the same format as for Civ IV, then I can make buildings for you (and retexture/modify a few units).

Yes, you are welcome to join in and help out. The medieval times is also my favorite and its what has inspired me to make this mod. I have read up on the period a lot in order to attempt to make it authentic as much as you can within a game setting thats suppose to be fun. And there is still lots I would like to add.

Yes also, in that Civ4 buildings can be used in Colonizaton without much hassel. The Buildings that are needed the most at the moment are Arabian Style. I have Arabian city art styles to go in the game but they would just look out of place if there was no Arabian varients to such buildings as Townhall, Courthouse, etc. So, I haven't added that yet. The Civ4 mod Sword of Islam has a lot of arabian style buidings it just takes time to add everything.

The Arabians and other Civs also need varients to units and professions. I have most of the Arabian military professions art added but things like Farmers, Coat Maker, ect. need other Civ varients.

I am a amatuer unit modder about all I do is cut and paste :) So, really, while you are looking over the game if you see any units/buildings that could use an improvement fill free to do so.

I noticed a couple things I need to fix while play testing..

-the Longship for the Scandinavians is not appearing in the game for some reason with this latest update. It appears its the only art thats not in the game atm. Looking into that now.
-Also, I am not sure if the barbarians are using thier new equipment that gets traded to them so checking into that.

I have an arabic palace/mall in my signature. It looks like a palace but its "wings" suggest that it can be used as a huge trading center as well, with the central area for the nobility trade and wings for more "common" folk. If you can use it somewhere, do it.

It's easier for me to work on specific requests though. I haven't tried the mod yet, I should find my Civ4Col dvd first :). I'll check it once I'm there.

So basically you need art for arabian versions of most of the town buildings, right? I will look into it.

Top Bottom