Guess the New Civs

Tengriism is Mongolian, not Hunnic. Very little is known about their religious practices (aside from Attila thinking it was awesome that people called him "The Scourge of God.").

I hope they don't add the Huns, but I'm biased in this regard.

Tengriism is Mongol-Turkic, but realistically it's 'of the plains' which pretty much encompasses everything north of the various empires (Rome/Persian/Indian/China) at the time (depending on the Migration Period).

It's also why it's 'hard' to pin down many civs from the nomadic tribes, due to so many of them being effectively 'temporary' empires made up of all of the same types of tribes, but with a different name. Realistically, a lot of them started as Celtic or Germanic families (at least in Europe-ish area). Who all, amusingly, came from the same families (both ended up settling the British isles from the mainland).

Seoul was a City State as well until the DLC.

Yeah, but we're not debating about future DLC post-expansion, we're debating about the Civs to be included with the expansion. Lisbon is being added as a City-State. Just like Korea wasn't added as a vanilla Civ along with Seoul, they won't have Lisbon as a City-State and Portugal.

I'd guess the other four are Sumeria, Hatti (because they already did some of the work for those two), Ethiopia (they'd fit well in the fall of Rome scenario), and another African civ.

Doubtful of the Moors, they are too similar too the Arabian Empire. Maybe a Meditterannean trading empire, such as Phoenicia or the Minoans?

Zulu, Ethiopia, another Native American (Sioux, Cherokee, Apache, etc..), and.. let's go for a way out there one. Hmmm.. Afghan?

Doubtful of the Moors, they are too similar too the Arabian Empire. Maybe a Meditterannean trading empire, such as Phoenicia or the Minoans?

Only if you think the Arabs were one homogeneous group. How are the Moors similar to the Arabs, but the Minoans not similar to the Greeks or Phoenicians not similar to, well, a couple, but mainly Carthage?

Forgot about these guys.... although the former would overlap with Carthage and Minoans overlap with Greece.

Too ancient to be included, much like Sumeria and Hittite.

I see a lot folks trying to draw inferences from the Fall of Rome scenario. Bear in mind that scenarios can feature some civ's that aren't present in the main game.

Do we see any of the Italian city-states in the screenshots? Maybe they united them into an Italy civ.

I think they'll struggle to find city-states as is. I did suggest that they should have a Venetian civ, though.

If we literally want to go with the "we know nothing" approach, we know they kept Hanoi. That's it.

However, Florence, Venice, and Genoa are hard to replace. Plus, they might be able to add Milan and Naples if they don't add an Italian civ.

How about Portugal actually being a civilization, but in screenshot, one hostile city-state attacked and annexed Lisbon?

That would make more sense if Lisbon were seen on the map. However, it was clickable as a way to influence that city-state. Not impossible, mind you, since there were other civ's cities there, but I've never seen a City-State had its cities treated individually when it comes to your interactions with them.

I'm going to say:

-Zulu
-Ethiopia
-Malaya/Malaysia
-Austria, Poland or Hungary

There will definitely be an African civ. I think Ethiopia is by far and away the most likely, although it's possible they could go with a different one. If not Ethiopia, the other African possibilities are probably Dahomey/Benin, Zimbabwe, Kongo or Zanzibar. Maybe the Zulu, too, but I really don't think the Zulu are nearly as important as any of the above, though they have been in the game before.

Elsewhere, I think Indonesia has a good chance of finally making it into the game, possibly as Majapahit or (more likely, IMO) Srivijaya. I also agree with those suggesting Poland as a possibility for the medieval scenario; an existing city-state is no bar, per Korea (Venice is also a possibility on those lines). Portugal is of course ruled out since Lisbon appears to be a new city state.

Other possibilities... Hungary, Brazil, Pueblo or Apache/Navajo, Tibet, Vietnam, Italy (instead of Venice)

If I had to guess a list, I would say:

1. Ethiopia (This seems like by far the most obvious choice to me.)
2. Indonesia
3. Poland
4. Brazil

I doubt Brazil would be in, but not Portugal; that just seems wrong to me.

Confirmed Civs:
Carthage
Byzantines
Mayans
Dutch
Celts

What I would like to see:
Ethiopia
Zulu, Zimbabwe or another southern African civilization
Majapahit or Srivijaya (an ancient Indonesian civilization - something that hasn't been done before in civ)
.... uh, I don't really know. Sioux, Brazil or Sumerians, maybe? Sioux or Brazil would be particularly good because frankly I prefer to fill up corners of the world, whereas the Sumerians are in an area already overcrowded with civs (the Middle East).

I would have liked to see Portugal, especially over the Dutch, but it's clear that's not going to happen, at least until a DLC comes out or something.

The Zulu have to be in, right? It just isn't a Civ game without good ol' Shaka. Aside from that, I have no idea, but I'm guessing there will be one surprising selection. There's always a Songhai or a Mali that ends up in the game, and with 9 civs being added, I bet that happens again.

Top Bottom